Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 AM

85 posts, read 524,570 times

Advertisements

So to put the mis information to rest...

Gulf Shores is not growing the real estate market has bottomed out now there is a surplus of condo rentals available.Construction has stopped as everyone is holding property in the hope pre Ivan prices come back. My realestate agent said he won't see it in his lifetime.There are fewer restaurants than before the storm and none planned for construction.
The warf is on the industrial waterway and in not swimable.They have severly cut back on amenities due to the mass exodus of investors.Retail space is 80% unoccupied.There is a movie theatre and there is an Amphitheater which seems to be doing well booking acts.Gulf Shores stands as it did 30 years ago a nice very quiet family vacation destination that can only support a limited tourist load.
I wouldn't come here thinking this the land of opportunity however .As the saying goes it's a nice place to visit but....
Oh... how do I know this ?I went to the city council meeting last night.
Also I do not jist and it's J-E-S-T and please do not call me surely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 02:54 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
I loved robertsdale foley area , I worked down there for several months building the heaviest guyed tower in the world out in loxely I would move their in a heart beat and am looking at properties all the time compared to the cesspool called the greater seattle area it is awsome! but then i am one who thinks its alright to be a redneck!

Old 05-23-2007, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 65,269 times
My parents live in Foley. It is a wonderful town. It is growing very fast, close to the beach and plenty of shopping malls. Alabama has one of the lowest property taxes is U.S. My parents are trying to sell their house right now but just because they are in their 80's and feel like they probably need to get closer to family in Birmingham. They have enjoyed living in Foley for the last ten years.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:24 PM

83 posts, read 382,840 times
My uncle lived in Gulf Shores for a year before moving because he complained of things getting very expensive. I lived there with them for about a month when I moved down to Pensacola for a job relocation before I got my house. Gulf Shores seemed to be expanding, the wharf looked awesome, and there is alot to do. If you go down the beach highway and then turn into Gulf Shores you can drive for 5-10 miles with resturants, bars, stores, and other stuff to do. You will find many rednecks. There did not seem to be much anything besides tourism jobs that were usually seasonal, my Uncle did security for a few months.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:36 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwesson View Post
My parents live in Foley. It is a wonderful town. It is growing very fast, close to the beach and plenty of shopping malls....
"Plenty of shopping malls:" WHERE? There is the outlet mall, but really that's about it. Small strip centers...nothing really major. Yes, it's a quiet area, very family oriented, not a lot of loud hiphop blaring and kids cruising...that's why I like it so much!

Old 05-25-2007, 03:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Yes, it's a quiet area, very family oriented, not a lot of loud hiphop blaring and kids cruising...that's why I like it so much!
Absolutly! that is one thing that stood out to me, I loved it!!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 22,021 times
Hmmm, where do you live duncan st clair?
Anyway, I've been in Foley for 10 years. Baldwin county for 15. Love it. Come see for yourself, that is the best advice you can get seeing as it seems everyone has their own opinion....calling it fact. Prices have not dropped below pre Ivan prices yet, and probably never will, people are holding out for post Ivan prices which doubled and more due to demand. Those prices may not be back for a few more years, but as is in the stock market,this would be a buying opportunity. Prices are still above pre Ivan prices. My property in Foley has doubled in the last 8 years. Skyrocketed after Ivan, but is still worth 2 x what I paid for it at current market price. No complaints. Lots of folks around here who need a good dog groomer. Best wishes, we are not all rednecks, but all of us who are , are blessed to live here, and all of us who aren't are blessed to live here as well.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
This should be of some interest regarding property around Gulf Shores and Baldwin County.
Nationwide housing slump doesn't affect Baldwin - News - MSNBC.com (broken link)

Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,653 times
Default Gulf Shores/Foley

If anyone is interested in relocating to the Gulf Shores/Foley area, you should definitely make it to our homebuyer seminar we are putting on this spring in Foley. I work for a Government backed lender and we are getting together with some of the developers in the area to put this on. I've been doing my research and I think that Baldwin County in general is a great place to be and it's on its way up. There's definite growth happening there. Amidst all of the real estate/mortgage upheaval it would be great to get the residents together to address some of the issues they may be dealing with and also to get rid of the crazy idea that now is not the time to buy. I'll keep everyone posted on when and where this seminar is going to take place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama