Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,725 times

Advertisements

My GF was just accepted into the University of AL to do her PhD in Psyc. I'm really happy for her and want to go with her as I think she’s the one. I know cost of living is significantly cheaper than it is here in CA but I'm also curious as to what dramatic differences there are between the two?

I've visited West VA before and FL but never been to the real South. I'm already a Nascar fan but don't really know too much about the demographics and geography of the state. I also don’t know what types of industries are in AL. Currently where I'm at in Nor Cal, there is a huge Tech Industry, unfortunately for me I'm not that smart so I do their taxes at the Accounting firm I work at.

Has anyone here ever lived out west then moved to AL? If so any Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,038,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshprince6922 View Post
I've visited West VA before and FL but never been to the real South. I'm already a Nascar fan but don't really know too much about the demographics and geography of the state. I also don’t know what types of industries are in AL. Currently where I'm at in Nor Cal, there is a huge Tech Industry, unfortunately for me I'm not that smart so I do their taxes at the Accounting firm I work at.

Has anyone here ever lived out west then moved to AL? If so any Advice?
Alabama has a well developed industrial base, mostly in the automotive sector. A lot of car manufacturers have located here in recent years. Depending on what part of AL you are in, it can vary. Northern Alabama is strong is what is common called "high tech" industries. Middle Alabama is where most of your timber-related and automotive assembly plants are. Southern Alabama is mostly agricultural, and Mobile is big on chemiclas and oil refineries, it has also become even more of a major port since Katrina.

I'm not from out West, but I filled you in on the industrial base anyway. Jobs are plentiful, and I'm sure you'll find tons of Californians already in the area.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:03 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,485,529 times
Trivia - north CA has a cooler climate than the south in summer. One of the safest things you can do when arriving in a hot climate with a car that is used to cold weather is to drop the tranny pan and clean out the crud, then replace the fluid. The added heat can kill a tranny that hasn't been well cared for. This was from a very experienced transmission shop friend in Florida, who made most of his money from New Yorkers who drove down and expected their cars to last forever.

Compared to CA, AL is flat. That doesn't mean there aren't steep grades and a few nice mountains, just that there are no significant mountains compared to CA.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 PM

116 posts, read 525,077 times
I think the biggest surprise for your lady friend will be that the people here are not like how we are portrayed on TV and movies.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,038,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MullinsCurve View Post
I think the biggest surprise for your lady friend will be that the people here are not like how we are portrayed on TV and movies.
Unfortunately that does not sway the rather large group of migrants who based their move on Hollywood's interpretation. (Just like the other group that bases it on Paula Dean, LOL).

Old 03-27-2008, 07:52 AM
KMK

80 posts, read 338,806 times
I think you will no doubt experience culture shock!!! You will find very little to do as compared to Calif. At first the novelty will be fun. Moving to an new area is always fun. And a college campus is always entertaining. But this deep part of the south is very unique and not quite as progressive as the southeastern half of the country. Once the novelty wears off you will become extremely homesick. The majority of Ala`s economy is extremely flat with the exception of a few small pockets. You will get alot of house for your money in Ala but also expect to take less pay home. Salaries are significantly less for similar jobs elsewhere. But hey have fun, it will be one experience you will never forget. And Ala football is loads of fun!!

Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM

17 posts, read 55,671 times
Default Economy is stellar

I live in the Birmingham area and I find that it's churning with opportunity - including a lot of banking business, which you might be interested in. Salaries are lower than in California, but so is the cost of living. The ratio of salary to cost of living is actually pretty high. If you're going to live in Tuscaloosa, however, I'd expect a little less job opportunity than in a larger city.

Do expect some culture shock. Almost everyone identifies as conservative and religious. But keep in mind that the conservatism is mainly a brand name and the religion is mainly a social outlet.

Fun facts:

No one has a genteel Southern accent like on Matlock unless they are 100 years old or running for office.

Without asking what kind of food you eat, I can tell you that ours tastes better.

You have to specify at restaurants that you would not like sugar in your tea.

Everyone will be friendly, but not everyone will be sincere.

We (at least in Birmingham) have a zillion good local bands that not even the locals have heard of.

Not all rednecks are scary, hateful, or closed-minded. But watch out.

Your definition of a redneck will narrow once you move here and see real rednecks.

Alabama contains real businesses, real skyscrapers, real art galleries, and things like the Alabama Shakespeare Festival.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
KMK

80 posts, read 338,806 times
Southernerd one of the few honest folks left in these parts. I love your diplomacy and humor. But I think you nailed it. And I do believe one of the biggest fallacies of all is mistaking Southern Hospitality for sincerity. They are too very different facets. I love the South but I have lived many different places and I recognize our shortcomings down here. The motto more often then not seems to be "You look out for my back and I will look out for yours if there is something in it for me" I think your words of wisdom should be on a poster in one of our Tourism Centers.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:28 PM

767 posts, read 2,293,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshprince6922 View Post
so I do their taxes at the Accounting firm I work at.
Folks in Alabama pay taxes too so you will be employed.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM

116 posts, read 525,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK View Post
And I do believe one of the biggest fallacies of all is mistaking Southern Hospitality for sincerity.
I've always told visitors to the state that just because someone here is polite to you, that it doesn't mean they like you. But the upside to this is, if you will be polite to us, then we'll be polite to you and who knows, we might even like you because of it.

Quote:
No one has a genteel Southern accent like on Matlock unless they are 100 years old or running for office.
It all depends on what circles you run in. I grew up with many who spoke with the tight-jawed, Southern, Blue-blood accent. They weren't large in number, but they are around, mainly found in the Junior League, the UDC and similar organizations.

Quote:
Your definition of a redneck will narrow once you move here and see real rednecks.
Yes, don't confuse "country" with "redneck," they're not the same. Not all country people are rednecks and not all redneck are from the country. The one defining feature of Country folks is that they have pride in themselves, redecks do not. Another name for true rednecks is "white trash." Remember in GWTW, Mammy fussing at Scarlet about consorting with white trash?

Finally, Southerners are not trying to insult you if we ask you to go to church with us. It is an accepted way of life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama