Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 11:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,451,807 times

Advertisements

Folks I've Been To Florida In The Summer And It Can Very Miserable For A First Timer...my Uncle From Utah Who Is Mormon Went On A Mission To Bama And Said The Heat Is Like Turning On The Shower...doing A Few Things Such As Shaving, Brushing Your Teeth, And Then Getting Inside..he Claimed People Get Sweat Rings Around Their Neck...no Offense To Those From Bama...and You Have To At Least Take Two Showers A Day...does Anyone Know The Average Humidity Percentage In The Summer...thanks So Much Folks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 02:59 PM

485 posts, read 1,451,774 times
It depends on what part of Alabama you are talking about. South Alabama would be just like Northern Fla. whereas North Alabama is pretty much like Tennessee. Yes Northern Alabama is hot and humid for a couple of months of the year but it doesn't hold a candle to places like New Orleans, Orlando, or Houston!

Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM

23,525 posts, read 69,933,850 times
The question has no direct answer. As marysally pointed out, the state has different areas, and average heat and humidity are quite different than "how hot can it get." I've been in Vermont when it hit 107, I've been in Death Valley at about 115, I've been on the Alabama Georgia border between Atlanta and Birmingham when the AC in my car couldn't keep up - I'd guess somewhere in the 110 and humid range. In contrast, in the years I've lived in south Florida, I can't remember it getting above 100 ever, and it usually tops out at 95 and starts pouring.

Is Alabama hot in the summer? Yep. Is it humid? Sometimes, but nowhere near as hot and humid as Orlando, where everyone vacations midsummer to see the big mouse.

Part of the heat in Alabama is self-inflicted. In Florida, men wear short-sleeve shirts, and a jacket or blazer is usually optional. In Georgia and Alabama, many men wear suits during midsummer and sweat until they get into an air-conditioned building.

This site shows the temps and other data on many cities, so you can compare on your own.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:12 PM

I Apologize For Not Being Exact Enough I Had Wanted To Know About Birmingham...is It Real Green And Are There Big Thunderstorms

Old 12-15-2006, 12:16 PM

23,525 posts, read 69,933,850 times
One of the great experiences I had was driving down the interstates from New York with a snowstorm literally closing the roads as it followed about an hour behind me. As I drove into Birmingham that same day in April, I was treated to wamth, trees budding, and a flush of dogwood flowers.

When we scooted out of Bham about three weeks ago in mid-November it was cool fall weather with great fall foliage. So yes, Birmingham is green with lots of trees and flowers, but has seasons.

Are there big thunderstorms? Yes, there can be some. For whatever reason, there is a track from Tuscaloosa to the west side of B'ham that can have some nasty tornados. The center of town avoids them, perhaps because Red Mountain messes up the air flow?

FWIW, You haven't seen big thunderstorms unless you've seen Florida thunderstorms. We had a small one yesterday that dumped 3 inches of rain in a couple of hours, and I've been in some where the lightning was so constant I stayed on the couch inside because I was leery of putting my feet on the interior floor and getting zapped by a bolt. Two houses less than 500 feet away have had their electric systems damaged by direct strikes, so I'm not just being paranoid.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:14 PM

116 posts, read 620,279 times
I've not been to Florida.

However, yes Birmingham gets some pretty wicked thunderstorms.

It is green.

It's hotter than a sauna in the summer. It will go weeks on end with the temp peaking at 90+ and months on end where the highs will hit 80+ except for maybe the ocassional lower day. Humidity is very high and if you walk from a building to your car you will sweat until the AC kicks in.

People generally do not go outside in the summer, though much of that is simply laziness. Perhaps the climate encourages that laziness, though. If you are determined to go outside and excercise, you definitely can, but you'll get funny looks from the sloths sitting in their air conditioned cars and houses...and you will sweat your butt off! In any case, it would be advisable to do intense activity in the mornings or late at night.

It rarely will get to a true temp of 100, though with the humidity index it gets above that quite frequently.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:04 PM

Thanks guys for the great information! And JWilliams that's the explanation i was looking for!

Old 12-20-2006, 05:38 PM

Do People Ever Move Out Of Alabama Because The Heat Becomes Too Much For Them?

Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,767,924 times
Default Do people ever move out...

Yes. My sister and her husband just moved north for that reason and I will also as soon as my responsibilities here are met.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 27,433 times
We plan to move to Ft. Payne by the end of this year. We are from Bradenton Fl and plan to "freeze" up there the firs couple of years. From our experience it is as hot & humid as in Southwest Fl. But it doesn't last as long, and there is always air conditioning!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama