Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 01:05 PM

9 posts, read 7,783 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I've been reading the forum for a while, but this is my first time posting. So, here's a quick introduction: I'm Rivka, 37 years old - born & grown in France, and have been living in the Middle East (Israel) for several years now. I'm an English teacher here in Israel and really enjoy the job.

I love America in general, and America's Deep South in particular. My very first stay in the USA was as an exchange student in Florence, Alabama. I loved Florence and the Shoals area. The people were so friendly, the pace of life was relaxed. I have been to other parts of the USA after that (Central Pennsylvania, Southern Maine, East Tennessee and the Upper West Side of Manhattan in NYC), but the Shoals remains my favorite.

With my husband, we would very much like for our daughter to be exposed to the American culture and language in the summers. She is just 5 now, but in a couple of years we would like to start our Mom & Daughter's month-in-America trips. So we are already thinking about which city we could use as a base, a hometown away from home. I thought Birmingham could be good - even though there are no direct flights to/from Tel Aviv. But the reasonable prices (for rent + food) compared to larger cities like NYC or Boston that do have direct flights, make up for it.

So, here are a few questions for those of you who are familiar with the city:
-- is the atmosphere warm and friendly, like in North Alabama?
-- will we be able to mingle a bit with other people or will it be considered "strange" that we choose to spend a month there every summer? (for example, I know that in a place like NYC that would not be an issue, because 1- people don't care and 2- it's not that rare that mothers do that)
-- is the public transportation system decent? I don't drive, so we will mainly rely on it to get around. Florence or Muscle Shoals are not an option because of that - there is just no way to function there without a car.

It would be great to have your insights about Birmingham - and if you think of another city/area in AL or elsewhere in the South that could fill the bill, I would love to hear about it, too.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 02:07 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Yes to your first two questions, particularly if you choose the right neighborhood. The transportation issue will be, however, a problem. Birmingham's bus system just isn't up to par, certainly not good enough to be a reliable transportation option. Wish I could tell you otherwise.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:05 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Transportation- Uber and Lyft have changed the dynamics somewhat, but you have a conflicting set of wants. American culture is primarily based in auto ownership, except for enclaves in large cities and some rural towns that have managed to survive with shops in the town center. As you have already learned, U.S. culture is not monolithic either, so characteristics change from area to area and over time.

There are differences between Florence and B'ham. Florence retains more "country" openness and that type of friendliness, while B'ham is going to be a little more guarded and urban. A single base of operation may be convenient, but I'm not sure if it will give a fully accurate representation of U.S. culture.

Sad to say, but twenty years has seen changes and polarization that could be troubling. B'ham around Southside and the U.A.B. campus area might work, but I'm not sure of one month rentals. Huntsville's Five Points district could work, and many people there are cosmopolitan enough that fitting in would be possible.

Once you look at the greater south, Buckhead in Atlanta used to be somewhat similar, but you lose the south that you liked in Florence. Boca Raton and Miami Beach in Florida need to be explored for the experience, but those are obviously not deep south.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:50 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
I applaud your desire to expose your daughter to an area which you loved. I think that your plan of spending a month over here is awesome. Florence is a pleasant city and has some surprising developments (fashion designer Billy Reid is from Florence and has a shop there). Disclosure: my sister graduated from UNA.

The only problem I see is transportation. Alabama has limited public transportation. There are no trains to speak of, so travel between cities will be by car / plane / maybe bus.

My first thought was that you and your daughter may enjoy staying at the beach (Gulf Shores / Orange Beach, Alabama). You might be able to manage by walking or riding a bike (grocery / restaurants), but you would be 'stuck' at a fantastic beach. There are always several great fireworks displays on the beaches over the 4th of July so I would encourage you to schedule your trip to experience that.

harry mentioned Huntsville's Five Points, which is fairly 'walkable' (for here - housing with access to groceries / restaurants), and gives you access to downtown and a synagogue (Huntsville has a small but vibrant Jewish community).

I would encourage you to reach out to the local rabbis for advice when you have firmer plans.

Most people are aware that Europeans (Israelis) get long vacations, so IMO people will think it interesting, more than "strange", that you are visiting.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:09 AM

Birmingham has, historically, had a strong Jewish community, centered mainly on Southside and in Mountain Brook.

If you choose Birmingham and are wanting to attend a synagogue, there are a number of options. Along Highland Avenue, near Birmingham's Five Points neighborhood, there are two. I don't know which sects they are. Same thing in Mountain Brook, where you have reform and chabad temples within a few hundred yards of each other. Plus Birmingham has a large and impressive Jewish Community Center. It might be that Birmingham's Jewish community might be of help to you.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:38 PM

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your answers.

@harry chickpea: yes, I thought of Huntsville, too. Will look online for more information on the Five Points district and the public transportation in the city.
I saw that they have a Greyhound bus station there - Florence & Muscle Shoals don't have one.

@Reactionary and MinivanDriver: we are non-Orthodox jews. Very open-minded about other people/culture and other faiths. I attended a Reform congregation back when I lived in NYC, and felt right at home there. I'm sure we would feel comfortable in a Unitarian Universalist church, too.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka972 View Post
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your answers.

@harry chickpea: yes, I thought of Huntsville, too. Will look online for more information on the Five Points district and the public transportation in the city.
I saw that they have a Greyhound bus station there - Florence & Muscle Shoals don't have one.

@Reactionary and MinivanDriver: we are non-Orthodox jews. Very open-minded about other people/culture and other faiths. I attended a Reform congregation back when I lived in NYC, and felt right at home there. I'm sure we would feel comfortable in a Unitarian Universalist church, too.

If so, the Highland Avenue area of Birmingham might be a good idea. That area is close to downtown and will have bus service. Plus there's always Uber if you need to go further afield.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If so, the Highland Avenue area of Birmingham might be a good idea. That area is close to downtown and will have bus service. Plus there's always Uber if you need to go further afield.
Thanks a lot for suggesting this neighborhood - it looks like a good fit for us. I checked and there are both a Reform and a Conservative synagogue, plus a church called "Unity of Birmingham" in this area - so I guess, plenty of like-minded people around.
Checked out the area via Google Map and it looks clean and green. There are apartments available for rent on Airbnb for half or one third of the price it would cost on NY's Upper West Side. Most of the ads do mention that it is walking distance to shops and restaurants.

Public transit seems to be very sparse in Birmingham. The MAX Transit website isn't too helpful - I didn't find a map of all existing routes, which is weird. Here in Israel, a lot of people (from all walks of life) ride Egged buses (our equivalent to MAX). In Birmingham I get the feeling that it's pretty much only the poorest of the poor, those with no other choice.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:09 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Rivka - you're right that public transit seems to be "sparse" in Birmingham, however note that the population is really not dense enough to support public transit beyond a few busses. For example, note that the State of Alabama is larger than England, with a much smaller population (Alabama = <5 million, England = 53 million).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama