Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 11:12 AM

72 posts, read 85,533 times

Advertisements

Been thinking about moving down to the state of Alabama. I had a friend tell me Huntsville was as nice as it gets.

I'm pretty conservative politically, so is my wife, we don't have kids yet, and are in our late 20s. We both enjoy trying new foods, beers, cheeses, wines, etc. We like supporting local musicians as we are both musicians too. We are pretty eccentric, but we are sometimes homebodies too. We are laid back, pretty much just want to drink beer and watch people and nature, and explore local small businesses once in awhile.

For views, I'm a sucker for palms and nice beach views but mountain ranges and rolling hills take my breath away too. I'm tired of the flat plains, I want something besides grass, more grass, and 2-3 clouds in the distance. Wife loves changing leaves and the oranges, reds, and yellows.

We did visit Orange Beach a year ago and I wasn't impressed by the water quality, it was murky with lots of algae clinging to my feet, much like a big lake or river. The sand was powder soft though. The beach as a whole seemed crowded and people were really in a hurry to get their spot. How does MS coast compare to AL coast?

I think our main priority is a large house with a good view for under 200k, ideally 2,000 sq ft +, and having excellent ties to the community with nice folks who have good values.

For work, my wife is a medical technologist and I do whatever makes me money but I'm planning on starting a brewery soon - at first I didn't believe in myself but I've had quite a few people tell me that what I'm doing is better than what's on store shelves and I should make this my career. So there ya go.

Weather-wise, I absolutely love rolling thunderstorms, I like the excitement of tornadoes but of course no one wants one ripping through their neighborhood; I've never been in a hurricane so I assume it's no fun.

Economy wise is it the same? Is gas/housing/groceries cheaper on the coast? How about seafood, does seafood make it up to Huntsville pretty fresh? I'm having a hard time choosing between beachy vibes/fresh sea food, and (what I assume) has more rolling hills and rolling thunderstorms up north.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 04:38 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,251,965 times
I lived on the Mississippi coast, Ocean Springs, for a while and we had some of the most beautiful lightning storms way out over the gulf that I’ve ever seen. Alabama has better beaches than Mississippi. Miss beaches are on the bay and the water is not as clear. One thing you need to know is, if you are close to the gulf, homeowners insurance is very expensive.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,217 times
Oh the Alabama coast is just so picturesque.

I was dyin in that small town, dreamed of headin southbound
So I hitched down I-65
I climbed into her trans am, an hour below of Burmingham
She was headin home and I was there for the ride
Started talkin nonsense an' she was laughin at my accent
Wound up on the Alabama shore
There was magic in the night air an' a gulf breeze in her blonde hair
That's what my soul's searchin for
Southern moonlight, southern daughter
She led me down to the water
As we lay on that cool, white sand
I was born again in Dixieland

Old 09-03-2019, 09:28 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,981,771 times
If you like tornadoes, Huntsville is the place for you.

I mean, you have to decide which setting you like the best. They are quite different and I've lived in both.

The MS Gulf Coast will give you less of a beachy vibe, but more of a 'coast' vibe, if that makes sense. MS is a mix of the water and New Orleans, if that makes sense. AL beaches are more 'beachy', as far as sitting on the beach and getting in the water. But if that's what you truly want, I suggest going over to FL.

Remember too, the coast area is very flat. If you are trying to get away from that, I'd go Huntsville. But the best is North Georgia.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:09 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
North Alabama - cheap land. Possible tornadoes. Big thunderstorms on occasion. Cheap taxes. Cheap insurance. Pretty good appetite for beer - a bunch of breweries started in Huntsville and Birmingham. Sales tax on food. Vibe is work hard, go to bed early, go to church, repeat. Mostly conservative. slightly more liberal in Huntsville and in Birmingham proper. Sales taxes on food in all of Alabama. No beach but lots of lakes and rivers.

South Alabama - cheap land away from the beach. Mostly conservative except right around Fairhope. Lots of tourists summer months, quieter other months. Water is usually pretty clear - what you saw is unusual. Similar vibe in South Alabama but not quite so nose-to-the-grindstone. If you want beach living, it's MUCH cheaper than Florida. Mississippi gulf - much more influenced by New Orleans. Beaches nice but water is shallow and water very warm way for out from the beach thanks to sea floor configuration. Everywhere = much higher property insurance costs south of I-10. Some hurricane exposure, occasional tornado.

Florida - a bit more upscale, a lot more expensive. No sales tax on food, but much higher land cost, tax costs, insurance costs.

Best to make an extended visit to each area to check for yourself.
Good luck!

Old 09-04-2019, 11:06 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,800,928 times
Your description leads me to think the Huntsville area would be a good fit. Huntsville is hilly, and forested, particularly heading east. There is a long N/S ridge just a couple miles east of downtown that stands about 1000ft higher than the valley. There are lots of hiking areas literally within the city limits, to me that is a big plus for Huntsville. Further east into Jackson, Marshall and Dekalb Counties it is mountainous by Alabama standards. To the west of town things flatten out pretty quickly.

Huntsville has a strong craft beer scene. These micro breweries are in Huntsville/Madison: Yellowhammer, Straight to Ale, Salty Nut, inner Space, Mad Malts, Rocket Republic, Green Bus, Black Bear... might be another one or two I am forgetting. I will say starting a brewery could be risky, as I feel the market could be close to saturated if it isn’t already. But I could be wrong.

I have only been to the Alabama coastal areas a few times, mainly I go to the Florida gulf for the beach. However, that was a bit unusual for the water to be really murky. It can be sometimes if the currents are coming from the bay in my limited experience. Other times it can be crystal clear. Seafood? Yeah Huntsville can’t even hope to compare. We do have a few nice restaurants that gets Gulf coast deliveries 2-3 times a week but expect to pay dearly for it. A&V Seafood in Jones Valley is the only market I have found that gets good quality seafood and sells it at a reasonable price, otherwise you are paying through the nose at Whole Foods or Fresh Market. The craft beer scene in coastal Alabama isn’t as strong as in Huntsville as far as I can tell. Maybe there isn’t a market for it there? Or maybe that means there is room for growth in that market?

All that said, $200k for a 2000+sqft house in a desirable area with a view will be likely tough unless you buy a house needing some work, at least in Huntsville. In some of the rural-ish areas 30+ minutes outside of Huntsville you will probably have more luck. Good luck in your search.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,820 times
Huntsville is a pretty sophisticated medium-sized city, and areas around Madison. SouthAlabama is really nothing similar to northern Alabama even from a cultural standpoint - they are just that different, if you want to be close to the Gulf itself, then you might take a look at around Dothan. If i had to chose just one, I'd chose Huntsville area for better amenities and pretty smart surroundings, and you'll meet people from all over the US and the WORLD given NASA and supporting tech companies.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:07 AM

72 posts, read 85,533 times
Thank you all for your answers!!

Why are homes around the MS coast cheaper than the homes around the Alabama coast? I could never figure that one. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are a lot higher for the same sq footage.

We are leaning towards the coast. I could see us being happy with both places though.

How is the humidity in NOAL compared to the coast? I know when we were in St Augustine whenever we were in the middle of the city the humidity was unbearable but once we got near the water, the wind blew over the water and cooled us off significantly, like walking into a fridge

Old 09-06-2019, 11:52 AM

4,995 posts, read 9,141,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosoma View Post
Thank you all for your answers!!

Why are homes around the MS coast cheaper than the homes around the Alabama coast? I could never figure that one. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are a lot higher for the same sq footage.

We are leaning towards the coast. I could see us being happy with both places though.

How is the humidity in NOAL compared to the coast? I know when we were in St Augustine whenever we were in the middle of the city the humidity was unbearable but once we got near the water, the wind blew over the water and cooled us off significantly, like walking into a fridge
Orange Beach/ Gulf Shores is more desirable.

It's currently 87 degrees in Huntsville with 38 % humidity the 3 day forecast is 92 Fri,90 sat, and 90 sun.

Mobile's current temp is 89 degress 45 % humidity. 3 day forecast is 97 Fri,99 sat, and 99 sun.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:08 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,287,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
If you like tornadoes, Huntsville is the place for you.

I mean, you have to decide which setting you like the best. They are quite different and I've lived in both.

The MS Gulf Coast will give you less of a beachy vibe, but more of a 'coast' vibe, if that makes sense. MS is a mix of the water and New Orleans, if that makes sense. AL beaches are more 'beachy', as far as sitting on the beach and getting in the water. But if that's what you truly want, I suggest going over to FL.

Remember too, the coast area is very flat. If you are trying to get away from that, I'd go Huntsville. But the best is North Georgia.
Have lived somewhere along the Gulf Coast all my life. AL beaches are far superior to MS beaches. Orange Beach has some of the best beaches you'll find anywhere. Not sure what you experienced with the water; it's normally beautiful. I, personally, would not want to live anywhere in MS for a variety of reasons. The MS coast is not really a mix of water and NOLA, except perhaps Bay St. Louis. In my opinion, the Huntsville area is one of the nicest parts of AL. Have you considered Greenville, SC? It is a beautiful town and close to the mountains and several large lakes. Though, the weather there is not as prone to tornadoes as north AL. Also, keep in mind, there is always the threat of hurricanes along the Gulf Coast.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-06-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama