Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:11 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,707,600 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 3 driving from STL to FL (Fort Walton Beach area) and need to plan a stop around Birmingham/Montgomery area (highway 65 route) for a short break from driving (30-1hr break).

We have a 3yr old and would like to have a park or something where he can run around for a bit while parents relax?

Anyone have any suggestions on a good stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 01:29 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doss1 View Post
We are a family of 3 driving from STL to FL (Fort Walton Beach area) and need to plan a stop around Birmingham/Montgomery area (highway 65 route) for a short break from driving (30-1hr break).

We have a 3yr old and would like to have a park or something where he can run around for a bit while parents relax?

Lots of nice rest stops on I-65, all of them have areas you can let the kid run, of course with normal supervision.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:17 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Quote:

There's a rest stop at Exit 300 near Cullman, and another about halfway between Birmingham and Montgomery near Clanton (water tower looks like a big peach). Both are very nice, and there's plenty of room for the little guy to run around, as noted, with normal supervision.

Here's a list of I-65 rest stops in Alabama: https://www.interstaterestareas.com/...interstate-65/

Old 05-06-2019, 06:25 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Quote:

If you leave at 8 a.m., you get to Birmingham around noon. I'd suggest Railroad Park, McWane Science Center, or Vulcan. McWane Science Center has a great place, the Pizitz Food Court across the street where you can get a bite, a beer, and unwind a bit

Old 05-06-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If you leave at 8 a.m., you get to Birmingham around noon. I'd suggest Railroad Park, McWane Science Center, or Vulcan. McWane Science Center has a great place, the Pizitz Food Court across the street where you can get a bite, a beer, and unwind a bit
St. Louis to Birmingham is a bit more than a 4 hour drive.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:55 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,336,351 times
It is a around seven hours. A good time to go through BHM and miss the traffic. Railroad Park is a great suggestion. It is just one block off I-65. (take the Fourth Avenue South exit, back on at University Blvd.)

The park provides all that a rest stop would, but so much more. Great walk paths, water features, restrooms, and even a small child's play area and a free outdoor gym area. Great coffee shop across the street as well as Mile End, a super nice deli-bakery based out of Montreal. Also a large Grocery/pharmacy two blocks away if you need to pick up something you might have forgotten.

This stop would be invigorating and CONVENIENT, you can't do better.

Have a great trip.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:43 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
St. Louis to Birmingham is a bit more than a 4 hour drive.

Whoops, had it backwards. But it IS good advice for the return trip.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:47 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,984,406 times
https://peachparkclanton.com/

/thread

Old 05-08-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Whoops, had it backwards. But it IS good advice for the return trip.
Someone just pointed out to me that the title of the thread says Nashville to Florida, in which case your 4 hour estimate is correct. I didn't even see that ... the text of the thread say STL, which I assumed to be St. Louis. I have a habit of not paying attention to thread titles.

Old 05-29-2019, 03:37 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,417,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Someone just pointed out to me that the title of the thread says Nashville to Florida, in which case your 4 hour estimate is correct. I didn't even see that ... the text of the thread say STL, which I assumed to be St. Louis. I have a habit of not paying attention to thread titles.
It takes me about 6 hours to drive from Decatur AL (north Alabama) to my brother's house just outside Pensacola, Fla. And there's no interstate from Montgomery to the Fort Walton area. The roads are good, but no interstate.
We too our 2 grandkids back to Florida at the end of sprig break and stopped at a zoo park just south of Montgomery. It was great fun, and the kids really enjoyed it. Railroad Park is also another very convenient stop in Birmingham.
Between Birmingham and Montgomery is "Peach Park," which is actually a privately-owned place to stop and buy fresh vegetables, lunch, cobbler and ice cream. There's a shady, not so deep ravine with graveled pathways, fountains, some playground equipment, a big tractor to crawl around on, generally run up and down and spend some energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama