Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 PM

51 posts, read 262,935 times

Advertisements

I live near Cullman. Very difficult to find a decent paying job. The people are absolutely great. It is almost totally white. There is one community nearby where black people live and are pretty much isolated. It is called "Colony". Racism in Cullman is a non-issue and everyone is treated with respect and dignity despite the fact that there are few black people living within any white community. Property anywhere away from Smith Lake is very reasonable in price and you can find virtually any type of house you want. Taxes are relatively low. It is a dry county (no alcohol sold) as is neighboring counties and as you might expect, there's plenty of drinking going on and drugs can be found. There are quite a few Mexican's around who mostly work on new houses going up around the lake and a few growing communities. Outisde the city there are no building codes & no inspectors so you may buy a new house with pitiful wiring or plumbing, etc. Buyer beware. A rural, southern, and laid back lifestyle is very much the norm here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 12:18 AM

48 posts, read 262,072 times
Default How diverse is Mountain Brook and Vestivia in Bham

We are looking to relocate from "Cali" Birmingham this summer..Kids 9, 11 and13 dont know anything about racism. Is this somthing we should concern ourselves with?

Old 04-05-2007, 06:17 AM

346 posts, read 1,779,064 times
Does everybody think we are still in the 50s?
Sally Birmingham is a metropolitan area with traffic problems, occasional bad air days, groceries are cheaper in Atlanta, it is not easy to find a good hairdresser.
On the other hand - did not recently some government officials actually sent to jail for bribery, bank mergers are brutal, but finance is still going strong in Birmingham, you will find neighborhood stores and restaurants and great people. Lots of green, lots of things to do for the whole family.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:47 PM

Thanks twostep! It just, my husband is from Al and his family still lives there..And Lawdy Chi, Get what I mean?

Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 AM

346 posts, read 1,779,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally.white View Post
Thanks twostep! It just, my husband is from Al and his family still lives there..And Lawdy Chi, Get what I mean?
Well Miss Sally - get used to cooking for a crowd:>)

Old 04-06-2007, 07:26 AM

51 posts, read 262,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twostep View Post
Does everybody think we are still in the 50s?
When I first found this forum a few days ago I felt that I had to defend my home from the bigotry of the outsiders who know little of Alabama and feel that we are way behind or are so different. There is as much if not more racism in California and New York than in Alabama and most places in the south. We have our issues but the most offensive is the way we are still perceived by and called names by people who have a great deal of pride in other areas of the country. For the most part we laugh at their ignorance and exploit their fun making of us.. Jeff Foxworthy makes very good money at it.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:15 PM

19 posts, read 82,137 times
My husband and I are moving to the Huntsville area within the next 3 months and we are earnestly lloking for a new community ! We are emptynesters and are interested in Decatur's historic districts, they look beautiful! Any and all opinions are welcome, thanks !

Old 04-07-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Hey, I'm from the south too!

Hey, DaddyJ,

I'm from the south too, and have lived all over the country..I know what the south is like compared to other places too.
At least in some other places where racism exist, poeple just don't hate you because of the color of your skin .
I am looking forward to relocating to Bham this summer with my husband (who is serving in Iraq) and my kids. And thank God that I know how to make the most of any situation.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 20,270 times
We are looking to move to central Alabama from a town south of Atlanta. Our county is one of the fastest growing counties in the US and we miss the small town. Looking for rolling hills with acreage. I have four kids, three don't mind moving at this time, but my seventeen year old son is being scouted for football and is afraid to move away from where he is known. His school has very competitive football. Any high schools in Alabama where the football is GREAT? I have heard that in some towns in Alabama, EVERYBODY goes to the friday night football games. Anyone have any suggestions on a great place to live in Alabama that is small town atmosphere, but with great schools and churches. Thanks !!!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Well Cat, if he is 17 and entering his senior year, it would probably NOT be a good idea for him to move this summer. He would be trying out again, and trying to mesh with a team of folks that don't know him, coaches that don't know him, scouts etc. There are plenty of great football high schools - Hoover, of course, Clay-Chalkville, Vestavia in Birmingham, Austin and Decatur here in Decatur, Athens in Athens, and in other parts of Alabama (check the standings with the Alabama High School Sports Association - you should be able to Google that) - but for him, I'd stay put another year. You, too - you don't want to miss a minute of his senior year, do ya hon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama