Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2021, 11:48 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times

Advertisements

Ivey signed the TEAMS program today in order to recruit more STEM teachers for grades 6-12, with as much as a $15,000 pay increase for participants in the TEAMS program, opinions?
Of course more could be done, but definitely a good step in the right direction to fixing our education problem

https://governor.alabama.gov/newsroo...rDXvThQXHGEVas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 07:48 PM

653 posts, read 589,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Ivey signed the TEAMS program today in order to recruit more STEM teachers for grades 6-12, with as much as a $15,000 pay increase for participants in the TEAMS program, opinions?
Of course more could be done, but definitely a good step in the right direction to fixing our education problem

https://governor.alabama.gov/newsroo...rDXvThQXHGEVas
Please describe the education problem.
Is the problem simply the lack of STEM teachers as the articles indicates?

My kids have benefited from the excellent and thorough teachers in the Madison City school system. I am grateful for them and those like them. The proposal is attempting to equal the playing field in rural areas and presumably in urban areas. Good luck.

I am convinced the problem starts and ends at the home and the family unit. Without solid family units who demand accountability of themselves and their children then this program will effectively result in a net loss of funding. Part of me wants to say that if one kid advances due to the increased funding in the area of STEM then it is worth it. The other part just sinks in to the all too easy finger pointing. Time to get out of the mud.....

I hope this program is a success.
I hope this program strives to keep girls/young women involved and active in STEM programs.
I hope this program strives to defeat stereotypes and promotes encouragement.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:29 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,220,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
Please describe the education problem.
Is the problem simply the lack of STEM teachers as the articles indicates?

My kids have benefited from the excellent and thorough teachers in the Madison City school system. I am grateful for them and those like them. The proposal is attempting to equal the playing field in rural areas and presumably in urban areas. Good luck.

I am convinced the problem starts and ends at the home and the family unit. Without solid family units who demand accountability of themselves and their children then this program will effectively result in a net loss of funding. Part of me wants to say that if one kid advances due to the increased funding in the area of STEM then it is worth it. The other part just sinks in to the all too easy finger pointing. Time to get out of the mud.....

I hope this program is a success.
I hope this program strives to keep girls/young women involved and active in STEM programs.
I hope this program strives to defeat stereotypes and promotes encouragement.

I see where you are getting at, it definitely helps when you start with a solid family structure, but obviously not all have this advantage. I do not believe that it ends with a solid family structure, I've known plenty of friends that have gone through this. Started with a great family and ended with a broken one (death/divorce). Most of them still turn out very successful. Accountability is an issue to get into those less fortunate, but I don't have an answer to fix that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama