Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 10:09 AM

12,696 posts, read 9,199,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishin2000 View Post
I always request a "47" plate when I get new tags. And I do like the new service center on Oakwood and the PKWY. Good parking. Easy to deal with, and a familiar slow incompetence.
I haven't been to the new service center, but we go to the one in Madison on Plaza Drive. When you go in you take a number, and you actually have a place to sit (as opposed to the Parkway Place location). It's always a smooth process there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 12:53 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,574,697 times
Quote:
I always request a "47" plate when I get new tags. And I do like the new service center on Oakwood and the PKWY. Good parking. Easy to deal with, and a familiar slow incompetence.
I agree with what you are saying about the new service center. The only way I tolerated the old service center at Parkway Place was to go there midweek during the middle of the month at about 8:30am to 9:30am. The last time I went there, there was no line at all.

I really wouldn't like it to go back to the way it was forty years ago when I moved to Huntsville. Back then I had to get my tags and renew my drivers license at the License Department at the Madison County Courthouse downtown. I used metered parking a block away. When that lot was full it was a challenge to find parking sometimes. One amazing thing was that at the License Department was that after they took your picture for your renewed drivers license they actually made the drivers license while you waited.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
I agree with what you are saying about the new service center. The only way I tolerated the old service center at Parkway Place was to go there midweek during the middle of the month at about 8:30am to 9:30am. The last time I went there, there was no line at all.

I really wouldn't like it to go back to the way it was forty years ago when I moved to Huntsville. Back then I had to get my tags and renew my drivers license at the License Department at the Madison County Courthouse downtown. I used metered parking a block away. When that lot was full it was a challenge to find parking sometimes. One amazing thing was that at the License Department was that after they took your picture for your renewed drivers license they actually made the drivers license while you waited.
Are you saying they do that now at the new service center, or were doing it in the '80s? I remember when that was done, I think at the Parkway City location, some years ago. Last time I renewed in Madison I got a temporary and had to wait a week or two until they made the permanent one in Montgomery and mailed it. It's a lot more convenient if they make it while you're there.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:43 PM

Question about the Star ID on Driver's License: I know you can renew your driver's license 6 months before it expires. Mine expires in May of 2023. Do I have to wait until late 2022 (6 months before May 2023) or can I go ahead and get a Star ID one now?

Old 09-23-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
It's nice to know the county a car's from but I get Navy Retired tags and there's no indication for those. Should be easy for them to issue a Madison County sticker to go on the bottom like they did for a time in the 70s-80s.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:26 PM

2,970 posts, read 3,522,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It's nice to know the county a car's from but I get Navy Retired tags and there's no indication for those. Should be easy for them to issue a Madison County sticker to go on the bottom like they did for a time in the 70s-80s.
need an OPSEC refresher?

Old 09-23-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
need an OPSEC refresher?
No. Why do you ask?

Old 09-23-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Actually, a sticker on the bottom wouldn't work. That's where they have US Navy (or other service) written. The plates also have a picture of the service seal but you have to be on top of them to be able to read them.

Old 09-23-2021, 07:18 PM

2,970 posts, read 3,522,014 times
Quote:
No. Why do you ask?
Just kidding, the less information ads on the car the better.
See those stick figures stuck on rear windows? Lot of information in those.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:55 AM

690 posts, read 917,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Just kidding, the less information ads on the car the better.
See those stick figures stuck on rear windows? Lot of information in those.
This right here is just one of the numerous differences between the Army and Navy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama