Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 05:22 PM

89 posts, read 153,404 times

Advertisements

Hello. I currently live in central FL. About 40 mins from Orlando in the suburbs. Lake County. I visited north Alabama. Guntersville, Albertville, and Huntsville area a couple months ago. But I was on vacation. Was in the area for only 3 days. I liked it. Florida is getting expensive to live. I am self-employed. Single, no kids, male. I was thinking of maybe moving here if Florida really gets any worse... it's getting way too developed and built up here. I enjoy peace and quiet. And it is getting very expensive now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 05:34 PM

1,859 posts, read 837,121 times
i did in 76, worst thing my family ever did.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i did in 76, worst thing my family ever did.
why so?

Old 09-26-2021, 03:23 PM

653 posts, read 587,710 times
Yes, 30+ years ago after graduating college. Lived in south FL 15 years prior. While I lived in FL, I couldn't think of why anybody would want to leave. After leaving and establishing a life here; I couldn't think of any reason to move back. I left the overcrowding, the violence, the hate, and the fakeness.

I don't think you will regret the the move. Just don't tell anybody about it. Keep the nut jobs in FL.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:22 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
I grew up in Volusia County and moved my family to South Alabama in 2009.

It was a great move and we've been very happy here.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:29 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Huntsville and Albertville are growing - good for jobs, not so much for avoiding growth. Guntersville is pretty stable.

Culture shock may be the biggest change for you.

I moved from Alabama to south Florida and back to Alabama, but my reasons likely don't relate to yours.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:57 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Didn't move from Florida, but did move from Atlanta to coastal Alabama. Not going anywhere anytime soon, but, hindsight being 20-20, probably would not do it again.

Old 10-02-2021, 11:44 AM

30 posts, read 26,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
Hello. I currently live in central FL. About 40 mins from Orlando in the suburbs. Lake County. I visited north Alabama. Guntersville, Albertville, and Huntsville area a couple months ago. But I was on vacation. Was in the area for only 3 days. I liked it. Florida is getting expensive to live. I am self-employed. Single, no kids, male. I was thinking of maybe moving here if Florida really gets any worse... it's getting way too developed and built up here. I enjoy peace and quiet. And it is getting very expensive now.
Everyone's experience, like and dislikes are their own for sure. Why people move is another matter too.

I live in Tampa Bay, have lived in Clearwater (Beach), North St Pete (roosevelt n), Gulfport, Manatee and Sarasota counties. I never lived in Orlando at all, but had an office there in Longwood and really did not like the msa one bit - never have.

I moved from Vestavia Hills and Indian Springs to FL. Although I really enjoyed waay south of Birmingham, I would not move back anywhere close to any city run like that of Birmingham.

Huntsville is quite another matter. North AL is really nothing like the rest of AL, neither is coastal AL and some parts of SE AL such as Dothan. If I could pick I would pick Huntsville for you, or the environs. Well run city with a bright future. Avoid Birmingham proper like the plague, like Orlando proper imho.

I've lived in too many cities I guess - lived in Marietta as well. You can have Atlanta and its politics and overcrowding. No doubt FL is getting waay overpriced - try living in Sarasota these days.

I have many professional friends that have moved out of many cities in FL in favor of smaller cities within FL, i.e. Panhndle, south AL, south GA and central TN, over the past 18 months.

You said YOU like peace and quiet? and looking at the state of AL? my advice would be to look closely around Huntsville/Madison or a little bit outisde - or around eastern shore of Mobile perhaps.

No place is perfect - permanence is good and bad for some folks. Manatee, Sarasota, Lee and Collier counties are getting obnoxious in too many ways to count...but there are much worse places to live in the South imho, like NOLA, Jackson, Shreveport, Montgomery, Bham or Memphis. Then there are places that are quite desirable such as Nashville/suburbs/towns, Huntsville, SPbg/Greenville/burbs, Savannah, HiltonHead, Asheville/towns etc.

Just do your own research based on facts YOU see and explore. Opinions are just that. I have no dog in the fight.

What's peace and quiet today, may be gone in short order, I see that everyday in FL and it's getting irritating to say the least. Many of us are looking around FL first however, then? who knows for the move after that. I left the east coast of FL to the west coast, now it's getting overrun by every tomdick and harry, all of whom seem obnoxious and know it alls.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 4,902 times
Now why would you do something like that.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:01 PM

FL kind of sucks now. I mean it's cool if you've lived in maybe somewhere like... Michigan for 30+ years. But it gets really, really old and groundhog dayish after a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama