Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 9,288 times

Advertisements

We are looking into moving to Tuskegee AL. from the Midwest, within the next 2 months and know nothing about the area. We have 2 children, (1- middle school and 1- 2nd. grader). I would like any info on housing/apartments for rent (quiet neighbor-hood) and schooling, as well as overall living in Tuskegee. All information would be very much appreciated. Thank-you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 13,289 times
I 'm originally from the Tuskegee area. Presently, Tuskegee is going through its share of problems with crime rate being up-no hospital facility in the area. There is a website. Type in the City of Tuskegee in Tuskegee, Alabama. If you do relocate to Tuskegee, you may try the Little Texas area or in the
country area of South Macon. Just a little out from the city. I eventually plan to relocate back to Tuskegee after retirement to see if we can get Tuskegee back to the way it was when I grew up there. Tuskegee is in need of more people willing to help it grow again in a more positive direction.
Trying to become more of a tourist town with the Tuskegee Airman museum being built. It has an excellent university Tuskegee University. St. Josephs elementary school from kindergarten to eighth grade. High school there is BTW, but there are problems I have heard in regards to crime. Some children do attend St. Jude in Montgomery, Alabama which I have heard is a good school. I have had 2 nieces to finish from St. Jude.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:04 PM

48 posts, read 262,013 times
Don't live in or around Tuskegee... Take your children and RUN!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:09 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
And why should they take their children and run, Sally? If you really want to be helpful to the original poster -- and to any future vewer of this thread, then you should at least list the negatives implied in your post.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I lived in Auburn, AL for several years from 1998 - 2000. Auburn is about 20 miles north east of Tuskegee. I knew several people that lived in Tuskegee, and went there for visits many times. My impression is that it's similar to lots of other small towns in central AL. Most people seemed pretty friendly, it's a quiet place, but pretty slow from a job and economic perspective. I used to bike ride on dirt roads all around there in Tuskegee National Forest, just outside of town too. Lots of rural land nearby.
If you have a specific job in Tuskegee but decide you don't want to live there, Auburn is not far away. Auburn has great neighborhoods and schools, lots of entertainment and restaurants, and of course it's own university.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 PM

48 posts, read 262,013 times
Tuskegee is one of the best Universities in the country (my brother in law graduated from there), but it is by any means no place to raise a family.

schools are poor in scoring
drugs
opressed attitudes
low taxes (no way for the city to prosper)
the city only caters to the students and professors
no concern with families
you can confirm any of this with any Tuskegee resident with children

Old 05-02-2007, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 9,108 times
Default Moving To Tuskegee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1207C2 View Post
We are looking into moving to Tuskegee AL. from the Midwest, within the next 2 months and know nothing about the area. We have 2 children, (1- middle school and 1- 2nd. grader). I would like any info on housing/apartments for rent (quiet neighbor-hood) and schooling, as well as overall living in Tuskegee. All information would be very much appreciated. Thank-you!
I lived in Tuskegee for 16 years, recently saved enough money, sold my house and moved to Montgomery, Alabama. Tuskegee is one of those little towns where everything is based on who you are and your status. I would not encourage anyone to move there; it lack decent housing, crime/drug infested, lack of employment opportunity, extremely high utilities bills, no hospital, no retail clothing stores other than Citi Trend, and lack employment opportunities. Most of the jobs are saved for family members. The streets have large pot holes, no form of public transportation and the YMCA is the only structured youth program for children during the summer. The YMCA in Tuskegee doesn't offer very much. The education system is what you may of it and my child made the best of it. The positive attributes: the people are friendly most of the time, the town is small and COULD be a great place to raise children, houses are dirt cheat, the schools are small, great historical university and a large selection of churches. Please consider moving to Montgomery or Auburn, Alabama. Be Blessed

Old 11-14-2008, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,281 times
Hello Sally,

I will have to say that I have been a teacher for a number of years and even taught science at BTW..I have also lived in many places and can say that every school has their problems. It is not fair to say that the schools are poor especially when the parents of the students do not step in and do their part...that was my biggest problem while teaching at the HS. It is up to the parent to push their children to learn and become responsible adults. During my tenure at BTW I found that parents wanted you to do everything and it is impossible for a teacher to make a student learn everything in the little time they have in the classroom. As far as the community is concerned, the only way to change things in Tuskegee is to get more people there who are willing to set the stage for change. Yes they may have a small town mentality but guess what..it is a small town and from what I experienced they do not in any form way or fashion cater to students and professors, it just so happens that it is the students and professors that are the main source of income for most businesses in Tuskegee. I myself graduated from Tuskegee and stayed in the community for a number of years and will move back with my family very soon. So when you are "bashing" an area be fair and I do hope you are speaking from personal experience and not just going off what you hear. Tuskegee has potential and it is all what you make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally.white View Post
Tuskegee is one of the best Universities in the country (my brother in law graduated from there), but it is by any means no place to raise a family.

schools are poor in scoring
drugs
opressed attitudes
low taxes (no way for the city to prosper)
the city only caters to the students and professors
no concern with families
you can confirm any of this with any Tuskegee resident with children

Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 15,561 times
How far is Auburn from Tuskegee? I thought there was a VA hospital located there? Please email me at gogirl_007@yahoo.com. I was offered a job there and now i am really nervous about moving there.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 PM

144 posts, read 597,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelsa View Post
How far is Auburn from Tuskegee? I thought there was a VA hospital located there? Please email me at gogirl_007@yahoo.com. I was offered a job there and now i am really nervous about moving there.
There is VA hospital in Tuskegee but VA hospitals are for veterans and possibly their spouses, someone can correct me about that second part. If you are considering the job don't let anything here scare you. If Tuskegee is too slow paced for you Auburn is only a 20-30 minute drive. If you are concerned about a hospital though the hospital is in Opelika which is 5-10 minutes east of Auburn. It gets a little hard to tell where Auburn stops and Opelika begins to tell you the truth. There are doctor's offices in Tuskegee and even more in Auburn though.

I live in Auburn, outside of the city, and drive to Tuskegee to go to school. I chose Auburn because of a chronic illness I wanted to be sure I was close to a wide range of medical care. I live on the outskirts of Auburn it takes me 20 minutes to get to Tuskegee. Maybe 10 minutes to get into the city or Auburn proper, and 20-30 minutes to get to Opelika depending on if I go through the city of Auburn or if I take the interstate. You'll be fine really all of these cities are so close together and linked by highways, backroads, and I-85 basically runs right past all these cites 3-5 exits right in a row.

And I happened to be driving around Tuskegee the other day trying to find the Tuskegee National Forest I went down a back road and came out near a subdivision that appeared decent. If you go there make sure you drive around I also think there is a neighborhood near the lake that looks quiet and decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama