Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:24 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times

Advertisements

Oh! Canny.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 22,687 times
Default Smith Lake

Sorry for the confusion. We are not developing National Forest property, but private lands owned by us within and adjacent to the governments lands.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 25,227 times
Default Lewis Smith Lake

Hello. I know about Lewis Smith Lake; I swam in it just the other day. Lovely place. I got off of I-65 coming from Birmingham at exit 304 I believe; there's a public beach at Smith Lake I think county park. Water is supposed to be third cleanest lake in USA. Nice. hope that's helpful.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 12,840 times
Folks should not be mislead by the "National Forest" stuff in lake lot ads. We've been going up there for 40 years, & the Bankhead National Forest is nothing but a coal strip mine and a clearcut lumbering operation. Not at all like the developers portray it in order to sell their lots. You don't want to be in or near the national forest, as the coal and timber trucks ruin the roads and are very dangerous. Also, the lake is being stripped of it beauty (trees, waterfalls, etc.) by the developers.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,840 times
Default Smith Lake is unpredictable.

It can drop 15 ft. by Labor Day, which leaves many docks high and dry. Most piers there are floating piers, as there is no reason to build a stationery pier, because of the fluctuating water levels. Also, even though there are some "level" lots, those are the ones where the water disappears during water drops. Most lots on the lake are steep, and you'll see some very expensive stairs built from the houses down to the lake. Some people are beginning to install "trams" to take them from their homes to their lake front. These can also be very expensive.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb313 View Post
Folks should not be mislead by the "National Forest" stuff in lake lot ads. We've been going up there for 40 years, & the Bankhead National Forest is nothing but a coal strip mine and a clearcut lumbering operation. Not at all like the developers portray it in order to sell their lots. You don't want to be in or near the national forest, as the coal and timber trucks ruin the roads and are very dangerous. Also, the lake is being stripped of it beauty (trees, waterfalls, etc.) by the developers.
I suggest you travel farther north in Bankhead. I agree there is WAY too much clearcutting and strip mining, but there are still parts of the forest that are forested and beautiful. Brushy Creek...Lawrence County areas of it.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 PM

567 posts, read 1,743,629 times
I hear the water is low from lake of rain this year. It is a nice lake.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 PM

Here ya go: A shrinking lake: Dry-docked Smith Lake: Frustrations worsen as water disappears; problems impacting economy, man says (http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/070901/smith.shtml - broken link)

Old 09-26-2007, 05:45 AM

51 posts, read 214,481 times
I looked at Smith lake lots recently and did not like what I saw. I know there is a drought but it was extremely unsightly. Even without drought conditions I understand that the water level fluctuates 14-15 feet. The roads to some of the lots I looked at were extremely bad -- too hard to get to and took too much driving on bad dirt roads. The thing I think may be good about that lake is that supposedly the water is cleaner than some. The pollution in some of the lakes and rivers is so bad we should not eat the fish. It's great fun to catch fish you can eat.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:51 AM

51 posts, read 214,481 times
PS -- A long time ago, when I was a child (I'm 53 now) there was a strip mining area that was filled with water and it was the same blue color as the water in smith lake. It was real deep and people were not supposed to swim in it but sometimes they did and I think there were some drownings. I am wondering if this lake had something to do with the old strip mining pits and they filled it with water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama