Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 07:01 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,173,205 times

Advertisements

These women paid out of pocket to get the cats spayed & neutered. They pay for Rabies shots and distemper that go along with a medical checkup before being spayed/neutered.

I would go right to a lawyer and fight this with every animal rights organization I could get on board with me.

These women help the neighborhoods by feeding them and caring for them. It absolutely does not bring more cats unless they too are strays. They don't want the cats to keep breeding and if the Police or anyone in the town cared at all they would make it mandatory to have their pets spayed/neutered or they have their cat removed. I know many will hate I said that but the only way to get the population under control is to have all spayed &neutered. Allowing them to starve to death is not a smart thing to do.

Because of TNR which sometimes leads them to be adopted and off the streets I don't have to break all the time because a cat ran out in front of my car or see one barely moving with skin and bone from starving.

TNR is making a difference and cutting down on the population. The strays are not the problem the irresponsible owners are.

I hope they fight and win. I don't know how to make this a clickable site so if you all want to see it please copy and paste.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...g/10891723002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 07:07 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,901,183 times
I could not believe this story, this is so sad for those caring women! Wetumpka should hang their head in shame!

Old 12-14-2022, 07:13 PM

They should be paid back every single penny they spent on caring for the stray cats. When more people stop letting their pet cats outside this will eventually get to where there will no longer be any strays. People want a pet but not the responsibility.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:45 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
What they were doing was a humane thing for our furry friends. No way they should have been arrested. They should have been given medals instead.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:51 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,010,152 times
So according to the police officers none of this would have happened if the women would have just listened to them and stopped doing what they were doing. This is despite what the officers told them to stop doing wasnt illegal and the officers had no right to tell them to stop.

I am not often against officers but in this particular case they are wrong. The sad part is that the judge sided with the officers. What should have happened is that the women were arrested and as soon as the judge heard it and found out that no laws were broken the case should have been thrown out. Then the judge should have had at the very least, stern words with the arresting officers.

Old 12-15-2022, 02:51 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
I don’t have a problem with “housecats” that stay in the house, but I think the ladies were feeding ferral cats and thats a matter of concern.

https://www.hepper.com/how-many-birds-do-cats-kill/

Old 12-15-2022, 03:29 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don’t have a problem with “housecats” that stay in the house, but I think the ladies were feeding ferral cats and thats a matter of concern.

It's more like how many rodents, snakes, and other vermin do cats kill. They perform a valuable service for the community.

And while you are at it, song birds are a big delicacy around the world, and are trapped with nets, and glue to be put on someones dinner plates, and charged high prices. How many songbirds are killed by humans every year. More than cats could ever think of. But then humans blame the cats instead of themselves. What a scam.

Old 12-15-2022, 03:36 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,442 times
Quote:

Correct but if the cats are spayed and neutered, they won’t produce offsprings that will continue to hunt. That seems like a reasonable cost/benefit to me.

Old 12-15-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Cats are not the one and only animal that feeds on birds. Also when feral cats are spayed and neutered and then fed by the humans it cuts down on needing to hunt for food. Once the population is stopped then they will be gone. But without TNR they will continue to grow. Removing them does absolutely nothing. We already know this from years of neglecting them which led to more of them being born. TNR stops that. So all the articles about what a problem they are just goes to show why TNR is helping to stop the problem.

Also I'm not sure if I can explain this right but feral cats come from abandoned stray cats that had litter after litter after litter over time and they become feral from not being around humans. They are not from cats in wildlife. Abandon a house cat and it will not be feral but after a few litters that is what happens. They become wild like and non-trusting without human compassion. They are not just born feral as in wild it takes time for them to become like that. I grew up see this and the difference over time. Leave an animal on it's own never having any contact or care from humans does this to them. They come from human irresponsibility.

Old 12-15-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
It's more like how many rodents, snakes, and other vermin do cats kill. They perform a valuable service for the community.

And while you are at it, song birds are a big delicacy around the world, and are trapped with nets, and glue to be put on someones dinner plates, and charged high prices. How many songbirds are killed by humans every year. More than cats could ever think of. But then humans blame the cats instead of themselves. What a scam.
Yes and squirrels, owls, hawks. Praying mantis eat hummingbirds and I believe they also eat sparrows. Sometimes foxes eat birds too because they too are opportunistic animals. I'm not sure but I think some snakes eat small birds too.

Last edited by staystill; 12-15-2022 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: grammer ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama