U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2007, 12:15 PM

748 posts, read 1,212,647 times

Advertisements

I live in Georgia and want to find an area in Alabama (cause the lands cheaper) to buy 10 or so pretty wooded acres to build a small getaway cabin.
I want it to be cool enough to enjoy in the summer, wooded, with pretty public lands to hunt and fish on. Also it's got to be cheap meaning somewhere you can still buy land for under say $3-$4K/acre.
If you know of this place or can suggest an area let me know.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 PM

3,184 posts, read 3,244,503 times
northeast alabama is your best bet. cherokee, jackson, dekalb, etowah, and marshall counties would be good places to start.

typically 5-7 degrees cooler than most of the state up in those mountains (hills...) so instead of being 90 it would be in the low to mid 80s during the summer. of course it still gets to 90 every once in a while... that's just the nature of the beast.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 AM

73 posts, read 419,994 times
Yep , I agree with steve, any where up in them mountains would be great , lands affordable , cost of living is cheap but would still be close enough town to go grocery shopping or to the doc and other nesesities.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:24 AM

232 posts, read 951,507 times
This site won't let me give you direct links but if you go to Valley MLS Dot Com you can search the entire North Alabama MLS for cabin, land or whatever.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
KMK

80 posts, read 325,387 times
Exclamation land

Land is still very cheap in say North Alabama, Cherokee County, Haleyville, Waterloo, Hamilton, Bear Creek, heading up 13 towards Tuscaloosa Co. is wide open land. Just about anywhere in these regions 10 miles outside the borders of the so called towns land can still be purchased in the 1,500 or less range an acre. Now a few things to consider. One not thee friendliest part of the south and the folks here are very passionate about their hunting clubs and timberlands are often tied up in these expensive hunting lease agreements. I have also heard of loads of land available south of Montgomery, another infamous hunting ground, and also the Smith Lake more remote areas. We are just run over with deer, coyotes, beaver, crape, etc..But not too many remote cabins surivive. They usually get annilated durning the off seasons. I have known of locals who plant crops to attract deer and return to find fields runined by mud riders, or just plain vandalized. Unless cabins are monitered frequently in these parts it is not thee greatest investment unless in a more populated area. Which defeats the remote cabin idea. But you are right land in Alabama, south Tennessee, and Mississippi in remote areas is still very cheap. Just risky.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:38 PM

1,390 posts, read 2,404,899 times
KMK raises some good points. For the very reasons mentioned in that post, We're thinking of providing free (very basic) housing to a bachelor friend to live on some property that we oversee. And that property is only 10 or 15 minutes from our house and already has a hunting club on it.

You might consider building that "remote" cabin right on the edge of your property and as close as you can get to a full-time neighbor. If you're a good neighbor to them, they'll look after your property for you. You'll still have your 10 or so acres to kick around on and you can pitch a tent in the middle of it whenever the need to get away becomes overwhelming. Good luck.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 PM

43 posts, read 131,328 times
I just moved from alabama to montana and sold my hunting camp in north jackson co {hytop,skyline area} 5 miles south of the tenn border and can tell you there is still several camps for sale up there as well as land for 3-5 an acre great get away place cold in the winter and some snow but very nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama