Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM

39 posts, read 149,279 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating from NC and wondering how the public schools are around the Florence/muscle Shoals area are rated?? are these family towns? are the schools good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,330,955 times
Florence has its own public school system, and it's very good. Not sure if Muscle Shoals is a city or county system, or they are included in Tuscumbia or Sheffield. Probably a little digging will turn that up.
There have been a few threads and posts about the Florence area. Do a "search this forum" (upper right) and that should reveal them.
The entire Quad Cities are is VERY family oriented. Good parks, lots of youngsters' sports. There is a nice, small 4-year college with a great football team and a community college (NW Shoals) for advanced education.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:09 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,050,152 times
Look at the very bottom of this page. You will see other threads listed there

Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,330,955 times
Keeper, I don't see anything at the bottom of the page. I know what you're talking about because another forum that I belong to has them. Do I need to adjust my settings or something??

Old 06-06-2008, 02:06 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,327,298 times
I have family in both Florence and Muscle Shoals. Both are great city school systems, but people will usually say that Muscle Shoals is better. Muscle Shoals has a very homogeneous population. A very small percentage of the students are on free or reduced lunch (a poverty indicator). So, I think it ultimately depends on how old your children are.

For elementary school, Muscle Shoals would top Florence, unless you send your children to Forest Hills Elementary.

Now, for middle school and high school Florence definitely beats Muscle Shoals. It's one of the better high schools even at the state level. Florence has teachers that are known across the state. Recalling my high school days, I was very active in science competitions and dorky things of that nature and the Florence kids ALWAYS won or came close to winning. In student council , I think they were president of the state a couple of times. Florence and Muscle Shoals have a tendency to both get great teachers because they have access to (arguably) the best education college right there in Florence. It's my understanding the Florence system offers more academic courses and puts equal emphasis on both sports and the arts.

If you live in Muscle Shoals, you have the option of sending your children to Florence, for free. On the other hand, Muscle Shoals will charge you tuition AND there is no gaurantee that they will even take your child.

Florence and Muscle Shoals are both city school systems, btw.

Last edited by pennquaker09; 06-06-2008 at 02:15 AM..

Old 06-06-2008, 09:29 AM

763 posts, read 3,822,538 times
I have learned something here....it is good to know.

I hope the new rail car plant will help the local economy.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:55 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,050,152 times
Blah.. Well I just glanced at the bottom originally and just now realized they were for Florence SC..