Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:01 AM

31 posts, read 174,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllaw View Post
Relocating from Indiana to Northern Alabama. Job in Huntsville. Question is - where should we live - not in Huntsville to big. We are looking for a family oriented community with good schools, activities for the kids, etc. We have never lived outside of Indiana so any information would be helpful. Schools, property taxes, utilities, sales tax, etc. Thanks
Well then you might be interested in Lacey Springs, you can get a nice size house with lots of acres and its very affordable. Same thing with Cullman, New hope, Al, Hobbs Island in Huntsville is also out of the way with houses very far apart from each other. There is also Monrovia, Toney, Hazel Green, Meridianville, New Market. These are all beautiful towns in Madison County and you won't be far from Huntsville. There are so many nice affordable towns in North Alabama I can't mention them all but the ones i've mentioned, i've been to and have seen them with my own eyes. Lots of beautiful new brick homes with lots of acres of land, you'll love it. But I must say I have kids and and did some research Huntsville City school district is the best. The best are in South East Huntsville. My kids did great there. You should take a look there its a beautiful area. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 04:15 AM

55 posts, read 296,061 times
Default Huntsville Area

I am retiring in the next 2 years and really looking for a place to hang my hat in Hunstville, Al. I really don't much about the area other then from what I've found through google searches.

I have kids aged 6,5,4, and 2 years old....So obviously education would be important. I'll most likely try to look for work at Redstone Arsenal but will be checking all my options upon moving to the area. I have a Masters Degree so I'm somewhat educated. But other then military service I have no real experiences. I'm a great salesmen...I figure if I can sell the Army I can sell anything. I was top recruiter they had for 2 straight years prior to applying to flight school.

So far I've been looking as far away as Guntersville, Al but it may be a tad to far from the hussle and bussle of Hunstville. I think ideally I wouldn't mind perhaps Lacey Springs, Al. But I'm open to suggestions whether it be North, South, West or East of Hunstville.

I myself want atleast a 3 acre lot or more. If so wife would like to find some type of Subdivision with large lots. But I'd not purchase anything below an acre. But I stress I want atleast 3 acres. Do subdivisions with large lots exist up there?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to any and all replys.

Take care and god bless each of you.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I live in Arab. The city schools are some of the best in the state. Small class sizes. Over 1/2 of the graduates of Arab HS received college scholarships this year. Home prices are very reasonable as are property taxes. It is a small town but you can get just about anything you really need here. Guntersville is just 10 minutes down the mountain where there is a Lowes and name restaurants.
Arab is a dry city but Guntersville is wet if that matters to you.
How old are your children? I don't know much about Lacey Springs other than I drive through it going to H'ville. As mentioned Arab could be a 30-45 min drive during rush hour depending on where you work. My daughter works on University and it takes her 45-50 minutes to go 40 miles. We don't call her lead foot for nothing.. LOL

There is a brick house near me which is in the city 1 1/2 acres for $139K 2/2 with basement that can be made into 3rd bedroom, garage and sunroom. Property tax would be around $200.00 a year.
For Budderio check out property on Pine Lake. 5 acres on a small lake. Subdivision but not too far from town. Has a community pool. I think it is less than $100.00 a year to belong to the pool. Housing in Pine Lake varies but I would say close to $200K and up. You might find something a little lower there.
Valleymls.com is the place to look for property.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,081 times
Default A Question Directed To 'keeper'

Dear Friend:

I believe the Appalachan mountain range (a.k.a. 'Blue Ridge / 'Smokey') mountain range terminates somewhere in Alabama. Would that be the Guntersville area or more towards Gadsden? I would appreciate any comments you care to make. Thank you !

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 09-17-2007, 09:41 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I think you'll find that the end of the Appalachans is a little south of Birmingham. Oak Mountain and Double Oak Mtn are about the last hills of any size along a main ridge. Cheeha is the tallest mountain, and a little south of Talledaga, but it sits more or less alone.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 AM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
Yup Harry is right again...the entire mountain chain terminates a little south of Birmingham....

I live in Birmingham and when playing golf, I can see eight miles from the golf course....an absolutely beautiful view...you'll find the same in the Guntersville area, especially around the lake.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:25 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Here is information regarding the mountains in and around B'ham.

Located 300 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico in north central Alabama, Birmingham lies in the Jones Valley between a ridge of hills running from northeast to southwest and the Red Mountain Range, which runs in roughly the same direction. A hilly city, Birmingham stretches for about 15 miles along the valley. The hills northeast and north of the city are the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:40 PM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
Default Where to locate

Buddiero, to answer your question, it sounds as if you'd be interested in an area like Deer Creek subdivision in New Market, AL, NE of Huntsville. It'll be a 30-45 minute commute to Huntsville from there depending on traffic. Deer Creek has lots from 2.5-6.5 acres on the market at the moment; homes must be 2600 sf and many (most?) neighbors have a horse or two. Quiet area and very nice. Check the Madison County Schools site at Madison County Schools for information on the schools.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,554 times
May I ask you if you know of any rentals available in the Ardmore area? We bought a home in Ardmore in 2000 and now our son and family is relocating, he has a job with a DoD Contractor on the Arsenal. They want to live as closely as possible to our family so we're starting to look now. They'll live with us for a couple of months until they find something suitable. They have a five-year-old and a 4-month old, so they're looking for a good neighborhood and school also. Their budget is limited at this point in time. Any advice?

Old 12-11-2007, 10:22 AM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
Default Try the MLS

Sometimes rentals pop up in the MLS (ValleyMLS.com) and sometimes the best way to find rentals is in the Huntsville Times Sunday (The Huntsville Times). Usually the latter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama