Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:06 AM

660 posts, read 2,440,779 times

Advertisements

hey all
thinking of relocating to alabama
looking for more of a small town not to metropolitan
where i could rent a place for less than $650 a month
thats safe and doesn't have alot of crime
and some bars or diners to work at
and where theres good babysitters
i have a little girl that will be turning 4 when we plan on moving so need some
stuff to do for her
thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 53,423 times
I'm originally from Alabama...and can recommend Gadsden or Anniston. Trussville, which is a suburb of Birmingham is also a good area to consider. Good luck

Old 01-17-2007, 10:49 AM

85 posts, read 524,469 times
You would like the Auburn /Opelika area.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:35 PM

thanks both of you for some places to look at

Duncan could you tell me more about opelika how are the people,weather,the way they dress any unsafe parts

Last edited by baby_firefly; 01-17-2007 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-21-2007, 07:03 AM

7 posts, read 51,321 times
I'm fond of Auburn because I went to college there.Safety is not a concern.Great small town with a an upbeat atmosphere.
You may also check into Huntsville, the only really nice 200K ish population city in the state.It has a small town feel and better job opportunities.Stay away from Mobile Birmingham and Montgomery.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,616 times
id suggest grandbay alabama about 3 to 4 hundres a month its a country town with lots of nice willilin to help people i live in mississippi theres stuff here to as well but id reccomend gradbay its near mobile the major city so goodluck..

Old 01-22-2007, 07:24 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Guntersville is a nice place if you want to live and work in the same town. Guntersville is a 65,000 acre lake and is somewhat of a tourist spot in N. AL. There are lots of smaller towns around where rent is very reasonable and only 15 minutes from G'ville. Crime is low and the traffic is not bad.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:35 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,582 times
Quote:
looking for more of a small town not to metropolitan
where i could rent a place for less than $650 a month
thats safe and doesn't have alot of crime
and some bars or diners to work at
and where theres good babysitters
Do you know much about Alabama? Ever visited?

My parents moved there and I love visiting. If you are coming from New York City, though, even Birmingham would qualify as "more of a small town" to you, yet still has plenty affordable apartments and more than enough bars and diners to keep you gainfully employed.

http://www.informationbirmingham.com/about.htm (broken link)

Old 01-23-2007, 12:25 PM

thats true
but i'm looking for a less metropolitan place i never have liked growing up in n.y.c so thats what i meant by small town not metropolitan and church/community is a big part of life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Do you know much about Alabama? Ever visited?

My parents moved there and I love visiting. If you are coming from New York City, though, even Birmingham would qualify as "more of a small town" to you, yet still has plenty affordable apartments and more than enough bars and diners to keep you gainfully employed.

http://www.informationbirmingham.com/about.htm (broken link)

Old 01-24-2007, 09:22 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,767,439 times
as previously mentioned, lee county (auburn/opelika) would be great.

auburn is a big college town, though the student population does not consume the whole city. there are tons of places to rent in the areas, but you will probably want to make sure you don't get stuck in a complex that is primarily student housing.

the area has grown quite a bit over the past decade or 15 years.

there are of course several bars to choose from, but keep in mind again that it is predominantly a college crowd.

auburn has a very good school system for this part of the state as well.

if i were you i would aim to be within the auburn city limits to take advantage of these schools, but perhaps closer to the opelika side of things to be away from a lot of the students and the university.

best of luck...

oh, and i am an auburn university student right now so please feel free to ask any questions. i'm off to an 11am class right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama