U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2007, 10:53 AM

660 posts, read 2,346,392 times

Advertisements

hey all
does anybody know about this place
what are the people like,whats suitable dress,whats the weather like,nearest bars,diners, stores,church,daycare/babysitting
i noticed that the people are mostly either black or white does evrybody get along and is there any unsafe part of the town that i should stay out of
also what do i need to become a permanent resident in Bama

heres a lil bout me:
early 20's white female single mother

thanks in advance for any advice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 08:32 PM

4,089 posts, read 9,397,820 times
I lived not far from Opelika for a couple of years in the 1990s. It's next to Auburn which is home to the big university. Auburn + Opelika combined have most of the retail stores that you would need, but no Nordstrom or such. A pretty good variety of restaurants in area. Opelika has a hospital + junior college. Some entertainment places in Auburn, mostly near the university for the college crowd. Opelika is a mix of low and middle income, not a whole lot going on there. Auburn is more prosperous and has a good school system. Weather in area is decent most of the year. Summer days typically in the 90s and humid, but not as bad as around the gulf coast or atlantic lowlands. Spring and fall are great, winter is pretty mild with a few cold snaps that don't last long. If you like big city entertainment, it's a long drive to Atlanta (almost 2 hrs). Montgomery is down I-85 about 45 minutes away. Most retail or service jobs in the area probably don't pay much. Nice area to live, easy going, not much crime, no traffic problems and slow paced. Most people are pretty friendly and helpful.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:16 PM

thankyou recycled that answered what i needed to know

Old 01-21-2007, 06:43 AM

7 posts, read 48,996 times
I attended Auburn University and agree with this assessment.
Auburn and Huntsville are the only places in Alabama I would associate with a "Quality of life"

Old 01-24-2007, 06:50 PM

3,156 posts, read 3,189,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughnut View Post
I attended Auburn University and agree with this assessment.
Auburn and Huntsville are the only places in Alabama I would associate with a "Quality of life"

i agree with the first assessment as well, though i think it's a bit of a stretch to say auburn and huntsville are the only places you can associate with quality of life. have you been to parts of suburban birmingham or mobile? there are parts of trussville, hoover, vestavia hills, alabaster, chelsea, fairhope, and daphne that i would all consider quite nice!

(oh, and we love our single women here in auburn )

Old 01-27-2007, 10:59 PM

has there been alot of people from out of state moving to opelika
also are there any bars /diners and is it more daycare or babysitting there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama