Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 09:42 PM

12 posts, read 43,302 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I need help!!! I bounce between living in Indianapolis,IN (grew up and work here) and Huntsville,AL (lived here less than 2 months). However in the fall I will move to UofA Tuscaloosa.

I know the bare minimum. Football reigns supreme, they have a rec center ranked in the top 5 in nation, and details listed on website.

I need to know:

Who are the big rival schools?
Good edu?
City atmosphere?
Why is the mascot an elephant and the cheer 'Roll Tide'?

Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 08:53 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,772,163 times
In education, UofA Tuscaloosa's (UAT'S) big rival schools are Auburn University (AU) and UofA Birmingham (UAB). All three schools are as good academically as you want to make them. In athletics, the UAT/AU rivalry dwarfs all others in the state. Tuscaloosa is a trade center for West Alabama, but is not a particularly cosmopolitan area (but neither is Auburn). Much of the social life at UAT revolves around the Greek system, alcohol, and athletics, but there are many on-campus student groups to participate in and create your own circle of friends.

If memory serves, UAT's football team (which has a storied history) has at different times been characterized by sports writers as being like unto a "herd of red elephants" or a "Crimson Tide" in vanquishing its foes.

My family, including in-laws and out-laws, has greatly enjoyed attending a UAT and celebrating its successes over the years. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM

Thanks nalabama

I have never been to Tuscaloosa, so I have no idea what is in store for me. I didn't think that I would figure out the background of the 'Crimson Tide'. Is there anything else I need to know- so I do not seem the campus idiot I am- when I get to UAT?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:54 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,772,163 times
Check out the university's website. It's just like most state universities as far as I can tell, except for the sports fever. If you really want to get into UofA sports, you need to find the al.com and tidesports sports sites. It's all silliness as compared to preparing yourself for the rest of your life, but it is big fun! One major warning...if you don't know who Bear Bryant was, or who Nick Saban is, you do need to find out.

On a more serious note, please be assured that you you can get as fine an education at the University as anywhere in the world. Let the Dean of your school know (ask for an interview with them if possible) that you want to be challenged by your college experience and I am sure they will see that it happens. I hope you have a wonderful experience!

Last edited by nalabama; 01-22-2007 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-28-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the info nalabama. I know Bryant and Saban, as well as a few other people associated with UofA, so no worries .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama