Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2006, 10:29 PM

9 posts, read 47,915 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some insight on Troy State Univ. and the Troy area? My daughter is considering the school as a potential student athlete, we are from OC Calif. and AL. is a long way from home. She's very open to going to school out of state and meeting new people & we've lived in CA, FL, TX, and IL. over the years so though it would still be a culture shock to some degree it could also be a great personal growth experience. I'd love to get some info from locals or folks who know the area well. Is it a school & area where you would feel safe and good about sending your daughter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2006, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 18,676 times
HEy there! Former Newport Beach, Ca friend here...and she'll(& you too) would LOVE Troy! EXCELLENT school(3 cousins attended...& ALL graduated HAPPY and still live within AL) Pretty safe(as safe as she'd ever be anywhere close to you guys) Um....not a HUGE "party" town..but trust me...the kids still manage to "find" stuff to do...usually head down to Florida to Panama City or ATL, GA....anyway...the school itself is wonderful(I may be biased due to family..lol) but also reasonably-priced living areas AND she'll get her $$'s worth in education(or your $$'s worth..whichever applies!) Lemme know if you need any other specifics..I reside in MS(on the MS/AL state line) but am all over Alabama on a regular basis....good luck!!

Old 05-31-2006, 04:22 PM

9 posts, read 47,915 times
Default Thanks former Newport Beach Friend!

Thanks for the inside information! She's being looked at by the athletic program as a student-athlete along with several other schools and I thought it would be good to get some local experiences! I've researched the school and both the academic and athletic programs and they look great! We'll probably plan a trip sometime soon - she's only a Jr. so we have some time but would like to narrow her list soon Your info is very helpful and confirm the many good things I've heard! Well, it's about 75 degrees here, great day and time to head to the beach (haha, had to rub that in just a bit - especially your being from Newport).

Old 12-10-2007, 07:07 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaMS View Post
HEy there! Former Newport Beach, Ca friend here...and she'll(& you too) would LOVE Troy! EXCELLENT school(3 cousins attended...& ALL graduated HAPPY and still live within AL) Pretty safe(as safe as she'd ever be anywhere close to you guys) Um....not a HUGE "party" town..but trust me...the kids still manage to "find" stuff to do...usually head down to Florida to Panama City or ATL, GA....anyway...the school itself is wonderful(I may be biased due to family..lol) but also reasonably-priced living areas AND she'll get her $$'s worth in education(or your $$'s worth..whichever applies!) Lemme know if you need any other specifics..I reside in MS(on the MS/AL state line) but am all over Alabama on a regular basis....good luck!!
I took two courses at Troy State years ago when I was stationed at Fort Rucker. It was a great school and sounds like it hasn't changed for the worse like some colleges. If I recall it was also considered a teachers college

Old 12-10-2007, 07:20 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,832 times
Great town........kinda has a "Mayberry" Feel to it! Lots of rural areas and old plantation / historical homes. I have an aunt/uncle that live there and I love to go visit. She commutes to Montgomery where she is the secretary for a judge and my Uncle works for the health dpt. where he counsels recovering addicts! Oh, Beautiful Campus!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
(sidenote) it no longer is called Troy State.------just Troy

I learned that from watching a football game where the announcers were informed by school officials of the name change and told not to call it Troy State anymore by

Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 AM
OAG

1 posts, read 6,359 times
As a graduate of Troy (State) University many years ago (1975) I can endorse these comments albeit pretty long ago. And it is really now "Troy University" -- I wonder if I will now have to have my class ring changed?

Old 12-11-2007, 07:54 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
As a graduate of Troy (State) University many years ago (1975) I can endorse these comments albeit pretty long ago. And it is really now "Troy University" -- I wonder if I will now have to have my class ring changed?
OK, I will enter that change of name info into my brain memory banks. All I know is that Troy was/is a great school and I would not hesitate to go there again if I lived in Bama. (Is it still ok to call it Bama?)

Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 AM

251 posts, read 895,755 times
Sure.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama