U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 PM

18 posts, read 59,954 times

Advertisements

All,

I know that Bham has some excellent public schools as does Huntsville and some other areas in the "north". Has does Tuscaloosa stack up? Of course I know it is a college town - - other than that, what does it have to offer? How are the arts? Dining? Is there any other town that I might be familiar with that you can compare it to? Crime rate? Best aspect of it? Worst aspect of it?

Thanks!

-scd0903
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 06:03 PM

55 posts, read 251,860 times
Hi there!
Speaking as a University of Alabama graduate, I think Tuscaloosa is a charming, beautiful town. The public school system is not as strong as Birmingham. Since education seems to be a top priority, you may need to look into private schools such as Tuscaloosa Academy. There are some excellent elementary schools in Tuscaloosa such as Verner Elementary,but I'm afraid the high schools are a bit sketchy.

Sending your children to private school in Alabama is not that big of a deal...many parents feel this is their only option. I grew up in Mobile, the port city that's in the southern part of the state, and it's commonly accepted that their public education system is the worst in the state. There are 2 or 3 top private schools in Mobile that are college prepatory and all of the children move on after graduating to ivy league's as well as state schools throughout the country. Sending your children to a school such as Tuscaloosa Academy(TA as it is referred) would ensure them the same type of options once they graduate.

Tuscaloosa has changed & grown quite a bit since I finished up in the late 80's....only for the better! There were only a very few "nice" dining options during this period, one in particular on the Black Warrior River, the Cypress Inn. Most people dined their or at their private country club, the Tuscaloosa Country Club, Indian Hills Country Club,etc, etc.. back in the dark ages in my day :-)

Now, they have world-renowed chefs such as Arman opening up not only one, but two top restaraunts. Downtown T-town has some fabulous Italian restaurants. There are at least 6 or 7 non-chainy upscale places that didn't exist until the late 90's & every time my hubby & I visit, they've opened more. I know the Mercedes plant moving to Vance, Alabama(right outside of Tuscaloosa) has really had an effect on the Tuscaloosa economy.

I noticed on another thread, you were inquiring about towns such as Athens, Madison(Huntsville), etc.. On a personal note, & not to upset all the "Huntsville Happy" that seem to frequent this board, I would NOT recommend Huntsville if you're looking for the typical "social scene" you will find in most Alabama towns, large or small. A cousin & a friend of mine both moved from there...found it boring :-(

Good Luck....hope you & your family find what you are looking for!!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,332 times
Default The Capitol School

I realize that no one has replied to this thread in a VERY long time.

But since I can't figure out how to post a new thread I'll ask here.
Can anyone tell me about the quality of education offered by The Capitol School.

Where do the kids from TCS go on to college (have they had a graduating class yet?)

My family is not Christian and do not want our children going to Tuscaloosa Academy. But is that the best school in Tuscaloosa? What number rank would The Capitol School be as far as T-town schools?

Is the school worth the tuition? There seemed to be two public schools in the north area that had excellent scores.

SO who goes to The Capitol School? Like, what kind of families send their kids there - rich snobby ones, far out liberal ones, kids that can't get in anywhere else, nerdy kids that want to study science?

I appreciate someone reactivating this thread because I'm trying to make a decision on a job in Tuscaloosa.
Thanks a lot.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 AM

5,963 posts, read 17,163,592 times
I have not heard of the Capitol School...must be new.
I have heard that the schools in Northport, especially the high school, are WAY better than Tuscaloosa's.
Unfortunately, we don't have anybody here from Tuscaloosa that I know of. I think most of the folks replying to threads are like me, old UA graduates who are a little familiar with the city.
Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama