Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 11:07 AM

18 posts, read 62,768 times

Advertisements

Bfish,

Thank-you fro your feedback on Tuscaloosa - - I apprecaite your perspective.

Financially I probably would not be able to swing the cost of private tuition at a place like TA - - even though it looks nice on the net.

Could you help me by identifying the "best" of the public schools? Tuscaloosa proper and the nearby surrounding communities? I can live wherever I want due to the nature of my job so if there was a better public school on a certain side of town or in an outlying smaller town/village.....I could probably do that with no problem at all.

Another school consideration that I put some value on is the size of the student population by grade and the teacher to student ratio. I would like to find a nice school that is about the same size as what we have now (150 students to 250 students per class grade) and has a proven track record and a lot of pride.

I will have the chance to visit Tuscaloosa later this week - I am looking forward to it.

If you or any friends of your could assist.....I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a ton!!!

-scd0903
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 12:51 PM

156 posts, read 790,510 times
Default Tuscaloosa School info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scd0903 View Post
Bfish,

Thank-you fro your feedback on Tuscaloosa - - I apprecaite your perspective.

Financially I probably would not be able to swing the cost of private tuition at a place like TA - - even though it looks nice on the net.

Could you help me by identifying the "best" of the public schools? Tuscaloosa proper and the nearby surrounding communities? I can live wherever I want due to the nature of my job so if there was a better public school on a certain side of town or in an outlying smaller town/village.....I could probably do that with no problem at all.

Another school consideration that I put some value on is the size of the student population by grade and the teacher to student ratio. I would like to find a nice school that is about the same size as what we have now (150 students to 250 students per class grade) and has a proven track record and a lot of pride.

I will have the chance to visit Tuscaloosa later this week - I am looking forward to it.

If you or any friends of your could assist.....I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a ton!!!

-scd0903
We've only lived in Tuscaloosa for 3 years so I'm not as familiar with the area as Bbluefish is. Our kids attend a private school but I'll give you our take on the public schools. I agree that Verner would be a great choice for elementary (I've heard good things about Rock Quarry as well). Northridge High School would, IMHO, be the best option for high school. The problem is the middle school in the area we live which is Tuscaloosa Middle School. What I've been told is that kids basically drift through their 4 years there and that drugs are prevalent (I know...drugs can be found anywhere). A friend of mine took her daughter out of TMS because she was physically assaulted (unprovoked).

We live "north of the river" in a subdivision that is convenient to most everything. Prices tend to be higher on the north side. Northport may be another option if you want to live on the north side. If you choose the south end of town there are some nice subdivisions down 69 South (Mallard Creek, Hinton Place, to name a few). If you choose the south end, your kids would attend Taylorville Primary, Englewood Elementary, Hillcrest Middle and then Hillcrest High. I have some friends that have kids in this program and they are very happy with the education their children are receiving.

Here's some phone numbers to get you started:

Tuscaloosa City School District - (205)759-3700
Tuscaloosa County School District - (205)758-0411

The other options beside TA would be:

Tuscaloosa Christian School (I don't think they are accredited) - 553-4304
American Christian Academy - 553-5963
Holy Spirit Catholic School - 553-9630 (I have friends that send their kids here and they are very pleased with the academics.)
Open Door Christian School - 349-4881
Capital School (more expensive than TA)

You can PM me if you have any specific questions about schools or housing. I hope you enjoy your visit and best of luck!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:42 PM

55 posts, read 264,038 times
Default Tuscaloosa -- The Arts

I hope you have now been SOLD on Tuscaloosa. T-town is a place I would love to live even today... there's an energy there, a spirit. And, I'm sure the University has something to do with that. (Oh, a hint from a local... it's NEVER called "Bama," it is always "The University" ... we want you to fit right in, you know... if you can drawl the "vuuuuuuuuh" in univuuuuuuhsity, you'll sound like you were born there -- LOL.

Also, the school doesn't have "frats." They are fraternities. Only.

About the arts: Theatre Tuscaloosa is a community theatre which produces wonderful shows in the historic Bama Theatre downtown (a must see... look at the ceiling!) There is also the Children's Hands-On Museum (CHOM) downtown that is a science exploration center. Because you are in a uni town, you will reap the great benefit of the school's arts programs -- Alabama has a FANTASTIC dance program and the student recitals are TREMENDOUS. Ditto with the university's theatre program -- Amazing shows! Buy season tickets. They also do a lot of community outreach, so chances for your kids to get involved. This is true with the university as a whole.

And, now, SPORTS!

If you have never been to a college football game, and even if you have, forget what you think you know. Alabama football is something you owe yourself to experience. (From Dreamland barbecue to pregame on the Quad to homecoming bonfire to the new walk of champions to the 92,000 seat stadium to our new GODLIKE football coach, Nick Saban). Just. Go! It will change your life! (Can you tell we are a little fanatical 'round here?) www.rolltide.com

If you are into gymnastics in the slightest -- or even if you are not -- one of the great teams in Alabama is the gymnastics team. The coach (my friend Sarah Patterson) is a master at marketing the championship caliber team (with former Olympians and world champions) and has made her season into FUN, FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT. The Coliseum seats 15,000 and she can pack it full for home meets. You must buy season tix for you and your family. www.gymtide.com

Simply, there is always something to do in Tuscaloosa, and it isn't costly. Because the University fuels so much of the community, you are always going to have something to do with it.

We lived across the River just off Rice Mine Road. It's a lovely area of town. The previous poster seems to have a great handle on schools... I had not heard great things about Hillcrest before, so that was a good find.

Anyway, I truly hope you end up in Tuscaloosa! I loved my time there, and have the most fond memories of that place.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:28 PM

156 posts, read 790,510 times
Default Rice Mine Road

"We lived across the River just off Rice Mine Road. It's a lovely area of town."

Bbluefish...we currently live just off of Rice Mine Road. We've sold our home, however, and are headed back home to MN this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
View detailed profiles of: