Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 04:55 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Gorsh, Steve, thanks. That is high praise coming from someone who has lived in AL for a lifetime. I think you can tell that I love the state, even if I don't know one end of a football from the other, and, for me, "Baptist" just means nice people who bathe at least once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 05:22 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
WOW.. that is great info. I plan to go see some of the places you mentioned on a day trip.

As far as land, I have seen an ad in the paper for 19 acres for 69K but then I haven't seen the land. You will find a place with some land maybe not 10 acres if you stick to the areas mention in earlier post.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,911 times
Quick question....why do you say cross out Montgomery. I lived there about 10 years ago only for about a year but enjoyed it and I am now looking for a change and was thinking of going back to Mongtomery. Has it changed or what is better in other cities in comparison to Montgomery?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 14,217 times
I'm from Huntsville, in the north central part of the state on the Tennessee border. I live in Florida now and I would give my left arm to go back "home." Huntsville is a gem. It has gorgeous scenery courtesy of a ring of mountains (the foothills of the Smokies) around the city and the Tennessee River to the south. A lot of people there are from somewhere else, being so close to Redstone Arsenal, and it tends to be a bit more welcoming of Yankees than you'll find in most of the smaller towns in the Deep South. I have never been as fond of the southern half of the state as I am of North Alabama, but I am admittedly biased.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:47 PM

4 posts, read 14,217 times
Oh! And Tim's Cajun Kitchen in Huntsville is worth a trip into town (It's in the Jordon Ln/University drive area).

Old 03-04-2007, 07:18 PM

10 posts, read 57,983 times
The employment picture depends on what type of industry you are looking for. The most diverse, stable, and growing area is the greater Huntsville (North Alabama) area. There is a plethora of diverse industries in the area. If you are looking for gov't and military contracting then go to usajobs.com or to the army civilian web site.

The best restaurants and shopping are in B'ham, but the city is not exciting itself. Some of the best motorcycling areas are from Tuscaloosa going North to Tennessee, and (again) from Tucsaloosa going Northwest through Cullman to Chattanooga. But, not the highways but via the state and county roads. I have traveled the county roads from Tuscaloosa to Red Bay and the curvy roads with the "back-home black-top" county-road feeling have put a smile on my face and emptied the worries in my mind. Just know the best places to travel on bikes in the South are the state and county roads.

I think the Mobile area is overrated. If you're gonna live on the coast then go near a beach and not near a crappy city like Mobile. Tuscaloosa is overrated as well. I went to school there and don't think I'd go back. There are plenty of inexpensive places to buy if you want to be out in the country. Many folks live in rural areas then drive to the city for work.

One good thing about the state is that you are only a few hours drive to the beach, Atlanta, or Nashville. The fastest growing area is the Huntsville area due to the tremendous influx of gov't and military assignments.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:35 AM

346 posts, read 1,778,780 times
10 acres plus a habitable house for 100k? We have been looking for some time on a not so tight budget for a fixer-upper without luck.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:32 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzfisher5 View Post
Quick question....why do you say cross out Montgomery. I lived there about 10 years ago only for about a year but enjoyed it and I am now looking for a change and was thinking of going back to Mongtomery. Has it changed or what is better in other cities in comparison to Montgomery?
if you liked it 10 years ago, you probably still would like it. i thasn't changed all that much (actually gotten a bit better, imo). the east side of town out I-85 like east blvd., taylor road, vaugn road, chantilly parkway... even all the way out towards Mt. Meigs is really developing. then ther are parts of prattville and wetumpka that are pretty nice. i imagine the hyundai plant is breathing at least some life south of the city, but i really don't know a whole ot about it.

the middle of the city is still pretty much a dump if you ask me and i certainly wouldn't live there with options like birmingham and huntsville available.

however, if you like montgomery, then by all means go for it... it's just not my cup of tea.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 366,552 times
As one living in the Florence Alabama area, I would highly recommend visiting this area. There is fishing, boating, golfing, and all kinds of places to eat. The housing here is very economical and a very nice place to retire. We have very mild winters. Check out Florence Alabama in Google

Old 03-26-2007, 06:31 PM

29 posts, read 117,865 times
Default about Florence's humidity?!!

hello..I have read many good things about Florence Alabama....But what about the humidity there? Is it like Oklahoma's humidity? I mean in the dead of summer heat, do you walk out the door and feel like a hot wet towel just hit you in the face?!!
What don't you like about Florence, anything you can think of?
Just asking..I live in Montana and want to relocate someplace warmer and cheaper..Thanks to any that may comment--!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama