Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times

Advertisements

There is a new Publix grocery just outside Ardmore. I think it may actually be in Harvest or Toney, but close enough for Ardmore shoppers. Also Chinese food is available and maybe getting a new steak house/buffett on highway 53. Also, there is a big weekend flea market called Dog Days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 PM

193 posts, read 534,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
There is a new Publix grocery just outside Ardmore. I think it may actually be in Harvest or Toney, but close enough for Ardmore shoppers. Also Chinese food is available and maybe getting a new steak house/buffett on highway 53. Also, there is a big weekend flea market called Dog Days.
The Publix is in Harvest at the intersection of 53 and Jeff Rd. I wonder if the steak house/buffet is going in the old Mildred's Catfish restaurant?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:05 AM

9 posts, read 34,865 times
Skinem,

Everything I've said can be demonstrated and proven. As a world-traveller and a son of Alabama, I can vouch that the problems in Ardmore have been unusually severe and chronic for a town its size. There is simply no good excuse for it.

I'll sign affadavits for each of my statements if you like. We'll go down the merry history of Ardmore, 1995-2010. We'll take pictures and videos, account for other people's experiences, dredge up the news and what doesn't make the news.

Thank GOD Ardmore has new blood -- a new unaligned Alabama mayor and a new police chief. A local noise ordinance is now being proposed. Frankly, I hope they keep it subjective (if a vehicle is loud enough to be conspicuous and annoying, that should be enough for a ticket - they want the attention, anyway).

The police now seem much more aggressive with the drug pushers and attention whores in town. Yes, Ardmore suffers more than the average little town.

As for the drainage issues, they probably won't go away 'til several more election cycles produce leaders who are willing to take on local, state and federal belligerence. For all you know, I may be one of them.

It's nice to see things are starting to change. I look forward to having quiet nights, consecutively, in my little neighborhood; free from the persistent mayhem that has made our little town the laughingstock for regions in two states..

Old 11-13-2010, 06:09 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsteel008 View Post
does it have easy access to food stores, malls etc. Does it get snow in the winter? Any new communites with acreage going up? does anyone know about registering an out of state car and what the cost is? Best hopitals in the area? Tornados
1. Yes, it has easy access to shopping. It's part of an area with a few hundred thousand people, although it is a small town and there are fairly rural areas adjacent.

2. Kinda. Sorta. Sometimes. Depends upon what you consider snow--you might see some some winters, others none. Usually if so, it is usually an inch or two and short lived.

3. I'm not sure what you mean with communities with acreage--subdivision type with acres, I guess. There are some near Huntsville, AL, which is not far away. There is also quite a few places for sale with land (or just land for that matter) that aren't part of any planned community or subdivision or HOA.

4. Depends upon which state and county you live in. Ardmore straddles the AL/TN line, so there's an Ardmore, AL, and an Ardmore, TN. Parts of Ardmore, TN is in two different counties--Lincoln or Giles. Neither state's costs are bad at all, especially compared to nearly any place up north or out west. I think TN is a little cheaper.

5. Your best nearby hospitals are going to be in Hunstville. Huntsville Hospital and Crestwood are located there. A branch of Hunstville Hospital is being built in Madison--may already be under construction. Sometimes people go to Birmingham or Nashville for some care...Ardmore is roughly half-way between the two.

6. Yes, there are tornadoes on occasion. Tornado "season" is in the spring with a secondary season in the fall, although they can occur any month.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 PM

231 posts, read 595,549 times
Default Ardmore, Alabama

I've been driving through Ardmore for many years. Mostly good people there. It's really small--more of a Village. I know people who live there ahd like it, but people from elsewhere are likely in for a culture shock-just not anything there--no good grocery stores, restaurants etc. There is no Hospital and likely no Doctor other than a Chiropractor. There is a Drugstore. Medical care is available in Huntsville approx. 20 miles away. I don't know anything about the schools.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 AM

51 posts, read 88,738 times
I traveled through Ardmore many of times and just considered it as a "Hi and Bye" town you can get thru in about 5 minutes. It's pretty much a gateway town from Huntsville to I-65.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalako View Post
I don't know anything about the schools.
The school there in town is part of the Limestone County (AL) school system. Many, if not most of the Ardmore, TN parents pay tuition for their kids to attend there rather than going to either the much further away schools in Lincoln or Giles County TN.

Ardmore school has had a reputation of being, um, rough and not the strongest academically. With the growth of Ardmore and the increasing number of engineers and other educated people moving into the area, the pressure for the school to improve has been bearing some fruit. It's reputation is better today than 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama