Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 31,235 times

Advertisements

I use 'stay', and most white people I know that are 'from' the Deep South (and when I mean from I don't mean parents moved there when you were 4, I mean an actual family history of being Southern) say it.

I don't say 'ax' instead of ask, but everyone I know 'from' the New Orleans/Pasacagola/Mobile area say it and they are white as snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 01:26 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Sorry, AP Money, I never heard those terms used, except by African-Americans and except by people specifically from the New Orleans area (which would include Pascagoula and parts of Mobile). There are colloquialisms, even within the South, and each area has a few.
Example: "roasinear," which HAS to be short for "roasting ear" for a cob of corn. Both my parents were from NW North Carolina, not far from East Tennessee, and they both used that term. But I've rarely heard it away from there.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 PM

116 posts, read 524,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Money View Post
I use 'stay', and most white people I know that are 'from' the Deep South (and when I mean from I don't mean parents moved there when you were 4, I mean an actual family history of being Southern) say it.

I don't say 'ax' instead of ask, but everyone I know 'from' the New Orleans/Pasacagola/Mobile area say it and they are white as snow.
I am lilly white and from about as deep in the South (Alabama) as you can get and for about at least 8 generations and I have never used stay in the manner described nor does any white person I know. That is a uniquely black colloquialism, at least in the part of the state of Alabama that uses the Gulf Southern accent. The only time we use "stay" is when were are asking where someone is staying while visiting somewhere else, such as in a hotel. "Where are you going stay while in East Podunk?" "We are staying at the Dirt Clod Inn."

The people you are speaking of from around New Orleans (mostly a bit south from there in the Chalmette area) don't use a traditional "Southern" accent, they speak "Yat", which sounds more like a Brooklyn accent.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 10,766 times
in general I use fixin to ALOT!!! one statement that I hear is "its hotter 'n a ***** in church on sunday. I am from Alabama. I have heard the term damn-yankee and from what I understand of the meaning is that it refers to a person from the north who came down south and didn't return to the north. I think that southern speaking is quite colorful. I speak the way I wanna speak whether it is a combination of surf rock british slang and southern talk... I am a total hybrid. I have heard "I am from LA." I am like bull shxx you goofball wanker you are nothin but a to bit red neck dude." He's like I am from LA "lower Alabama". Anyways tootles

Old 04-07-2008, 04:52 PM

125 posts, read 426,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl826 View Post
One of my personal favorites is "puttin on airs".
Not sure about that spelling, I've never actually written it down before!

Definition: Pretending to be better/richer/smarter than you really are.

Ex.: "Look at Mary over there flirtin with the mayor! You know she's just puttin on airs, bless her heart.

Which brings up another good point - us southern women just LOVE to gossip!

Another fave is "Hair on a biscuit".
Now, this is funny! My mama used to say this all the time. I can't really give a definition here, but I can give an example.

Ex: "She's stuck on that boy like hair on a biscuit!"

Have you ever tried to pull a peice of hair off of a biscuit?! You can't. And that's where the saying comes from! Hope ya'll enjoyed this!
So it is a good thing when someone tells you, you will fit in like a hair on a buscuit?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM

709 posts, read 2,181,073 times
That's slicker than snot on the door knob.

It's finer than snuff and not half as dusty.

My wife hates it when my mom says this:
Will you carry me to the store.
Her answer, no I'm not going to carry you, but I will take you in the car.

That smells like a carn pile.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
My grandmother used to say "Well I swan, Bobby Lee", when I did something bad. She said that a lot. She lived to be 96.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:05 PM

709 posts, read 2,181,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
My grandmother used to say "Well I swan, Bobby Lee", when I did something bad. She said that a lot. She lived to be 96.
I've heard something similar that my sister still says, "I'll swanny". Also remember reading a phrase like this in one of Patricia Cornwell novels, I think it was Isle of Dogs.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 PM

222 posts, read 752,911 times
Alabama boy gets pulled over while traveling to Milwaukee, by a Wisconsin State Trooper...

Trooper: "Sir, do you have any ID?

Alabama boy: "'Bout whuuuut Officer>?"

Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 AM

16 posts, read 56,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
I've heard something similar that my sister still says, "I'll swanny". Also remember reading a phrase like this in one of Patricia Cornwell novels, I think it was Isle of Dogs.
My grandmother used this phrase, too, as did my mother. In a dialects course I took at UAB, we were told that the phrase is a corruption of a euphemism for "I swear" or "I'll swear on it", used (as were "gosh-darn" for G-d, "pshaw" or "shoot" for s-t, and dang it for damn it). "Gee", ain't slang funny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama