Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM

17 posts, read 72,957 times

Advertisements

p*ss or get off the pot up here in NY is often used here too. We told that to a man whining about wanting to commit suicide in a therapy group, stop wasting our time cause we're trying to get better. He is still alive 12 years later.

Last edited by lookingtomove24; 06-13-2007 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 9,751 times
Us NYers heard that y'all use mama and sister to mean the same thing, like daddy and brother and uncle all mean the same thing...right? LOL, j/k

Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,472,831 times
Default Love this thread

I have an Aunt outside B'ham and we love it when she says.....

Well!!! We just had a "come to Jesus" meeting!!!

In other words...she brought someone around to her way of thinking.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:57 AM

I have friends from Alabama right upstairs from me and they told me how insulted they were to be called Yanks and that I'd be insulted too. I still can't grasp why as I am one, the war happened what? -how many generations ago? And I made the innocent mistake of pointing out to them that I thought we Yanks kicked your butts.
Bless Their Hearts, I thought I'd have to do cpr on them both from their horrified expressions!!! I just shrugged it off and laughed still not getting why I ought to be insulted at being called a Yank.
So then they tried to teach me Alabamian and their first lesson was to say yes if someone offered me goobers.

WELL, it was MY turn to be shocked!! I was so taken by surprise I spit out my tea I was drinking and said SAY WHAT??????? No WAY in H**** Would I EVER EAT a goober!!!!!!!!! That's the most most disgusting thing! Keep that personal habit personal! EWWWWWWW, YUKKKKKK.

Well, seems, they never knew goobers up here in my town is a slang for a habit we are always teaching um, our children to not do!

Keep thinking about it if you're not catching on right away.

When they caught on they got soooooooo grossed out. They never laughed but I did.

I still don't think I'll eat peanuts down south without breaking into a sh** eating grin in front of everyone so I'll never eat goobers in Alabama in public so I'll never have to tell this story.

Bless all our hearts huh?!!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:15 AM

Up here there's also Put that puppy on a leash, boy( and I am not referring to your dog.).

Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,330,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidnnancy View Post
Us NYers heard that y'all use mama and sister to mean the same thing, like daddy and brother and uncle all mean the same thing...right? LOL, j/k
No.
Bless your heart.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,733 times
Talking . . my two cents worth from Lake Weiss, AL

I get a kick out of the misinterpretation of southern expressions by those from the North. One that is consistently misinterpreted is "Y'ALL". I have friends from the North who think "Y'ALL" applies to one person and trying to "speak the speak" when they're visiting with me they'll turn to me and say "how are y'all feeling today?" I usually look around to see if there's anyone else in the room they may be grouping with me.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:15 PM

138 posts, read 505,008 times
I read all 7 pages. CAINT believe I'm the only Okie who lived by a CRICK.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:09 PM

73 posts, read 346,014 times
I agree with Mayberry D. I have experienced the same thing with "yall". It's probably best not to even try to talk the talk if you weren't raised up in the South, bless your heart. But don't feel bad, not being southern is not the unforgiveable sin...

Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,707 times
Default y'all can be singular

y'all sure can be singular. It's used for "your" too. Maybe it's just southern alabama and the florida panhandle but cashiers at the Publix will say, "Y'all usin' credit?... Can I git y'alls signature here?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama