U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM

561 posts, read 1,417,543 times

Advertisements

So why don't they have any 55+ communities? Or maybe there are, but so well hidden they can't be found!

Just curious. I'm not looking for this type of development, but many are; Alabama is a terrific place to retire since the state doesn't tax your government retirement (don't know about other retirements) and the taxes are low!!

Anybody know of any??????
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 05:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,693,459 times
They are just starting to build 55+ communities in a few places.
Active Adult 55+ Age Restricted Communities in Alabama I know there are a few in S. AL. I don't think there has been a demand for them until recently. Previously retirees always wanted to S. FL to get away from the cold weather. I have met quite a few ppl retiring to AL from NY to FL.

There are some planned communities that are not 55+ but they are smaller homes that have all the amenities without the age restriction.

Where I live there are a lot of seniors who live in their homes. Their family, friends and neighbors look after them.

For pensions other than gov't you have to find out if the company is on the list. If not it may be possible to get it exempt by filling out paperwork.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM

1,542 posts, read 3,053,053 times
I wondered about this too, particularly when my mom was thinking of moving to Texas to a Del Webb community and I was trying to find a comparable place here.

I recalll there being one in the Bay Minette area, I think, but it might be 100% rental. And in Birmingham there is The Oaks on Parkwood, off 150 about halfway between Hoover and Bessemer. But The Oaks is pretty small. I'd say there are 25-30 garden homes that can be purchased, and then retirement apartments, and assisted living. Everything else is Apartments/comdos rather than detached houses.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 PM

352 posts, read 1,048,646 times
Default Government Pension Tax Exemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
So why don't they have any 55+ communities? Or maybe there are, but so well hidden they can't be found!

Just curious. I'm not looking for this type of development, but many are; Alabama is a terrific place to retire since the state doesn't tax your government retirement (don't know about other retirements) and the taxes are low!!

Anybody know of any??????
Does the Alabama state tax("income" tax I assume) exemption apply to all government pensions, or just federal pensions for example?

Old 06-20-2009, 05:09 AM

561 posts, read 1,417,543 times
You might be able to find your answer here:

www.retirementliving.com/RLstate1.html#ALABAMA

Old 06-20-2009, 05:55 AM

9,803 posts, read 15,231,121 times
I,also,was surprised there were few 55+ communities in Alabama, especially since the state has been sending out retirement information for a long time in order to attract retirees.

As the OP stated, they are not looking for this , but many retirees are.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:17 AM

13,768 posts, read 36,693,459 times
No state income tax on any gov't pension, city, state or federal. I worked for a private co. and they are on 'the' list, however the first year I didn't realize that and paid income tax. In order to get the money back I had to have the company send the AL Revenue a form but I did get my money \back eventually

Old 06-20-2009, 07:26 AM

272 posts, read 913,855 times
Being that there could be a demand for 55+ housing in Alabama, due to retirees looking at a less tax heavy place to settle, you'd think some one would turn a few of these already developed, yet empty subdivisions you see out there into some nice 55+ communities. They are all over the place, especially in Baldwin County.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:13 AM

20,226 posts, read 6,042,145 times
Why would you want a planned generation seperation?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:51 AM

272 posts, read 913,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Why would you want a planned generation seperation?
I personaly wouldn't, but I guess it's popular with some scrooges that can't stand the sight of children playing, I don't get it, maybe they're better off in their own little communities where they can sit around and complain about everything, I'd rather go fishing !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama