Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 06:14 AM

4 posts, read 16,777 times

Advertisements

Alabama:What are cost of living and environment like in these areas? Would these be good relocation areas for someone looking to cut cost but still be close to coastal area?

Last edited by ValoriE50; 04-27-2007 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Did not put state in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
cost of living anywhere in Alabama are high. The particular areas you mention are fishing/shrimping areas. Large population of Vietnemese(sp)
that area is a poor area,as I am guessing a lot of areas are that depend on fishing for a living?! But in my humble opinion it is a nasty,dirty and ugly area.Absolutely zilch to do in the form of entertainment. Lots of problems with gangs and shootings and other crimes. If you want to live near the coast this is not a good choice. The nearest coatline along the gulf to this area is Dauphin Island and it is nasty,smelly and ugly as well. Sorry-but I speak the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValoriE50 View Post
Alabama:What are cost of living and environment like in these areas? Would these be good relocation areas for someone looking to cut cost but still be close to coastal area?

Old 04-27-2007, 07:33 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernexposure View Post

cost of living anywhere in Alabama are high.
Compared to what other U.S. states? I've never heard that and I've lived "next door" to Alabama for most of my life.

Most people relocating from other areas find Alabama amazingly affordable. My parents and some friends did. They moved to Alabama from Georgia -- not that far away, yet they have been happy there and report a fairly significant overall cost of living difference.

Valori, click and scroll down City-Data's Bayou La Batre information page, for a start.

And here is an excerpt from Wikipedia about the tiny, unincorporated fishing village of Coden:
Quote:
Coden lies on the southern shore of the mainland, just across the Mississippi Sound from Dauphin Island and is one stop along Alabama's Coastal Birding Trail ... Today, it is again attracting those from other areas seeking the cool ocean breezes and tranquility that lured so many visitors nearly a century ago. Today, Coden's lure is the gentle sound of the waters of Portersville Bay, fishing, and relaxation. Fresh seafood is available daily on Shell Belt Road from fishing boats returning to Bayou Coden.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I can't tell you about Coden or Bayou La Batre but after living in central FL and moving to N. AL in 06, it is a lot cheaper to live in AL. Bayou La Batre and Coden are low lying near the water so they are more susceptible to flooding during a huricane. There are good and bad areas no matter where you choose to live.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
please do not let that excerpt give you a false impression. If you haven't been there(and I have!!!) I can tell you it is not quaint or tranquil or pretty. It is a poor area, barely thriving and has a long way to go in the recovery of the Katrina devastation. As if it were not bad enough, since Katrina it is worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Compared to what other U.S. states? I've never heard that and I've lived "next door" to Alabama for most of my life.

Most people relocating from other areas find Alabama amazingly affordable. My parents and some friends did. They moved to Alabama from Georgia -- not that far away, yet they have been happy there and report a fairly significant overall cost of living difference.

Valori, click and scroll down City-Data's Bayou La Batre information page, for a start.

And here is an excerpt from Wikipedia about the tiny, unincorporated fishing village of Coden:

Old 04-28-2007, 08:29 AM

109 posts, read 365,307 times
Bayou La Batre is ok, Coden is less desireable. When driving through all I see is trailers, dilapitated houses, broke down cars, boats, grass not cut. Poor area, I'd imagine real estate is cheap. I have not heard of any gang problems, maybe the occasional drug addict stealing a lawn mower, etc.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:16 AM

8 posts, read 34,034 times
Default Areas in Al

Quote:
cost of living anywhere in Alabama are high. The particular areas you mention are fishing/shrimping areas. Large population of Vietnemese(sp)
that area is a poor area,as I am guessing a lot of areas are that depend on fishing for a living?! But in my humble opinion it is a nasty,dirty and ugly area.Absolutely zilch to do in the form of entertainment. Lots of problems with gangs and shootings and other crimes. If you want to live near the coast this is not a good choice. The nearest coatline along the gulf to this area is Dauphin Island and it is nasty,smelly and ugly as well. Sorry-but I speak the truth.

Thank you for candid reply. This is just the type of info I am looking for. What about Anniston? Thanks for replies. VH

Old 05-12-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Al areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITBOSS View Post
Bayou La Batre is ok, Coden is less desireable. When driving through all I see is trailers, dilapitated houses, broke down cars, boats, grass not cut. Poor area, I'd imagine real estate is cheap. I have not heard of any gang problems, maybe the occasional drug addict stealing a lawn mower, etc.
Thanks for reply. In what ways is La Batre ok? After reading replies to my inquiry, it appears these areas sustained hurricane damage also. What city or area would you advise. Thanks again for reply. VH

Old 05-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Al areas

Quote:
please do not let that excerpt give you a false impression. If you haven't been there(and I have!!!) I can tell you it is not quaint or tranquil or pretty. It is a poor area, barely thriving and has a long way to go in the recovery of the Katrina devastation. As if it were not bad enough, since Katrina it is worse.

Thanks for reply. After several comments in agreement, I think I will seek other areas. This forum is the only way I have seen to receive honest remarks from people who really know the area and can paint a realistic picture of the area. Thanks again.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:30 AM

Default Al areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I can't tell you about Coden or Bayou La Batre but after living in central FL and moving to N. AL in 06, it is a lot cheaper to live in AL. Bayou La Batre and Coden are low lying near the water so they are more susceptible to flooding during a huricane. There are good and bad areas no matter where you choose to live.
Thank you for reply. At least the cost of living issue is addressed. Are you familiar with Anniston? Thanks, VH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama