Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:43 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I like to have people move here and realize how wrong their perceptions were about the state.
What are the perceptions people have of Alabama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What are the perceptions people have of Alabama?
Maybe that we all have bad teeth, or that we don't wear shoes, or that we're all fat.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,522 times
Or we marry our cousins.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:38 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,766 times
WE ARE ALL TRANSPLANTS - Unless you are a Native American!

Old 09-29-2009, 06:39 PM

350 posts, read 1,312,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe that we all have bad teeth, or that we don't wear shoes, or that we're all fat.

Hmmm, I have bad teeth, would prefer to go barefooted, and I am over weight, yet I'm from up north

Old 09-30-2009, 12:54 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Ok, are you serious? So basically everyone should just stay in their own region? Well, the real world doesn't work like that. Maybe we should build a wall around each region with customs and everything? So much for being the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. And if you really want to go there... before you start blaming how Northerners "destroy everything" ask the Native Americans how they really feel since they were here before you and me. Maybe you meant to word what you said differently, I don't know, but I hope you at least understand how ignorant you sound.

Northerners are not to blame and they aren't the only ones moving here. If you want to "blame" someone, look at your fellow Southerners. Blame local governments (made up of Southerners) recruiting new businesses and people to their states and the locals who sell their farmland to developers (there are a lot of developers who are Southern and they don't seem to care because they are making good money off of it). If it weren't for all of these things, people wouldn't move to the South. I mean, it's not like people are just picking up, moving somewhere down here, picking out a piece of land, and building a subdivision or an office complex themselves.

I also find it interesting that your definition to the word transplant is someone who moves South from the NORTH, as if there are aren't people from other parts of the country. People moving South is not a new concept. Where do you think Southerners came from? Did they just sprout out from the ground in Alabama? No, they most likely migrated from the North when people first came to this country from Europe. Some probably came straight to the South from Europe, but again, if your concerned about "your land being destroyed" ask the Native Americans how they feel. Anyways, the North was populated first because that's where a majority of the people were dropped off. Most stayed put but some migrated South and West. "This movement" has been happening for awhile now. And contrary to popular belief, the North is not becoming a wasteland. Most people have to sell their home before they can move, and people are obviously buying their homes.

Certain cities in the South will grow and change (as cities are naturally melting pots of different people and cultures). At the same time, many parts will never change. Why is this a hard concept to understand?
Great post! I would've said the same thing to that poster but you got to it before me. I can't believe how ignorant some people can be about this subject.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Again View Post
WE ARE ALL TRANSPLANTS - Unless you are a Native American!
That's kind of a nonsensical argument. Even the native Americans migrated here from somewhere else.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 PM

5 posts, read 17,637 times
Hi guys the south has alot of people moving in but there influence as a WHOLE is slow to set in. I think thats great but I know some will disagree. Central And South Alabama I don't think they will ever change it. Living in central Alabama and seeing how the southern hospitality is still very much here they won't chage it for a LONG time. I think the people that move here are really adapting to the southern hospitality and it changes there persona so to speak. They embrace it really from what I have seen. Friendly, homely and generally easy going are what people seem to want. They might change huntsville, gadsden places like that but I don't see it happening in montgomery or Mobile. Same way for Northern Georgia around Cleveland, Hiawasse etc. Another area this way of life sems to be deeply rooted is the mountainous areas of Western North Carolina they are settled in on this same way of life. Just an observation.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:16 AM

33 posts, read 100,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
The South is now only very slightly less populated than the Northeast and the entire Midwest combined. It is more populated than the Western states. Considering how densely populated those regions are with all their cities, don't you see something wrong with that picture?

OK, I have a problem with this. As someone that lives in San Diego, California you can't be serious that the South is more populated than the West.

San Diego County alone has three million people. The state of California comes in #1 with 36.7 million people. Alabama comes in #23 with 4.6 million.

Georgia #9 with 9.6 million
North Carolina #10 with 9.2 million
Arkansas #32 with 2.8 million
Tennessee #17 with 6.2 million
Florida #4 with 18.3 million.

It would take Florida, Georgia and North Carolina combined to equal the population of California alone and we're not the only Western state.

The COUNTY I live in has 3 million people. The STATE of Alabama has 4.6 million people.

Why do you think I'm relocating to your neck of the woods?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Last edited by tgcali; 10-06-2009 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: Reference Link

Old 10-06-2009, 05:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgcali View Post
OK, I have a problem with this. As someone that lives in San Diego, California you can't be serious that the South is more populated than the West.

San Diego County alone has three million people. The state of California comes in #1 with 36.7 million people. Alabama comes in #23 with 4.6 million.

Georgia #9 with 9.6 million
North Carolina #10 with 9.2 million
Arkansas #32 with 2.8 million
Tennessee #17 with 6.2 million
Florida #4 with 18.3 million.

It would take Florida, Georgia and North Carolina combined to equal the population of California alone and we're not the only Western state.

The COUNTY I live in has 3 million people. The STATE of Alabama has 4.6 million people.

Why do you think I'm relocating to your neck of the woods?

List of U.S. states and territories by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The---Western States-- probably refers to more states than just---California,California, California.

To some, it also would include Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada,Montana, Idaho, Colorado.

They didn't state--"pacific NW"---nor did they state specifically " California"

Even California has big areas of the state that are sparsely populated.

(there is no region in Alabama that is as sparsely populated as Death Valley )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama