Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:09 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,584,860 times

Advertisements

I've been transplanted so often, that I really don't feel like I can say I am from anywhere, I am here now. I put down roots quickly, establish connections, live with the things I don't like about the area, and enjoy the things I do like about the area. I know I've got at least one more move in me. I don't think I want to stay in AL, but it's not because I don't like it. It's because none of the larger cities have an International Airport, and I'm not a fan of the tornadoes. We'll probably head to FL after darling daughter goes to college and darling husband retires.

I've learned through the years, with travel and moves, that a place is what you make of it. And people are people -- not regions. I've met totally wonderful "northerners" and not so wonderful ones. I've met lovely southerners, and I've met some not so wonderful southerners; I've enjoyed my Texan friends, but I've met the unfriendly Texans as well. In France, I met wonderful people in Paris and throughout the region. I also was treated to the rudest camp owner in the world.

To prove this point: one needs only to look at the stories of Nazi death camp survivors. There were good guards and mean prisoners. A person's character is determined by so much more than where a person originates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 AM

33 posts, read 100,154 times
Washington and Arizona both have 6.5 million and Colorado has 4.9 million.

I do believe that's why I said 'and we're not the only Western state'.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 AM

656 posts, read 1,419,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
I see a lot of posts on here in which people are unhappy with an area in the South that has a lot of transplants. Ironically, usually these people are transplants themselves. Don't they realize they are part of the problem?

Transplants have already destroyed, TX, VA, NC, FL, and GA. Now they are moving on to Tennessee and South Carolina. Alabama and other untouched areas will be next on this list.

America is a diverse country. I have heard people say on here that the beauty of America is that there is a region for everyone. I am sad to say that I don't think American Southerners will really have a place to identify with in the near future.

Thanks a lot Northerners for destroying our states. There must have been a reason you left the North. Why do you recreate the North wherever you move, and then once you are done corrupting one Southern state, you move on to the next one and the next one? Please for goodness sake, at least leave Alabama alone!

I don't think people from the North are necessarily corrupting a southern state, you may be fine with your views and outsiders may disagree in the same way.

Are you unhappy because they don't share the same view of "Southern conservatism" as the natives or don't have the hypocritical religion and church practicing folks.

Some folks have said that transplants , however may drive up the cost of living and be rude, if a person moves from up north and moves in the south and buys a cheap home, the seller may say hey maybe I should sell my house for a bit more money (seller selling an 800k house and buying a 200k house, seller can still get 300k), that is happening less often due to the economic issues.

Similary, food prices and increased crime can come about, not due to transplants but due to increase migration followed by construction, in charlotte and atlanta suburbs this has already occurred.

I don't think there is anything hateful about Southerners being concerned about this. I respect the many cultures of the north for what they are. But if I want to see them, I can go up there and visit. I would like for my beloved Alabama to remain the home I have always known. Anyone who thinks I should be denied this is the real hater if you ask me.

This is the United States of America, people are free to come and go, however see my note as above, I am not sure exactly what you are concerned about, the failure to adapt to new cultures, religions,and people moving in, the changing migration patterns, I can tell you that Alabama and Mississippi have not experienced the same migration as other states have though such as Atlanta, Florida cities, Charlotte.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 PM

5 posts, read 11,477 times
This thread is certainly educational. I'm a bit amazed that Americans would complain about Americans Migrating to one's State as though their not welcomed. While I do agree that Southern Hospitality isn't as common as it once was, it's still intact. Americans are what we are because of our diverse cultures. A really nice mixture.
No one has mentioned Illegal Immigration. If anything threatens us it's this. We watch TV and see commercials with Spanish being spoke. Products on the grocers shelves with Spanish translations on them. If I feel threatened, it isn't because an American moved here from California, North Dakota, New York, Texas or Virginia or any where in between. Or if someone who came here Legally from anywhere in the World that had the desire to be an American as did all of our Ancestors. It's those that come here illegally, refusing to adopt the American Culture or learn our language that worries me.
Presently. There's a battle raging over what Political Party one supports. I would that we'd all be what we are and what we are is AMERICANS. Too much happening for us to be fighting among ourselves.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FodderFossil View Post
Or if someone who came here Legally from anywhere in the World that had the desire to be an American as did all of our Ancestors.
!!!!!
Really?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 11,430 times
hahahah funny how someone might assume a transplant is a northern that has moved south. That is too funny. My home is Ala and in the small town my parents still reside in Southern Hospitality tends to go out the door when a transplant moves in. In fact consider yourself lucky to find another transplant(they will be kind and welcoming and more then likely your only friend) Sad how clickish small deep south towns can be. Nothing was better then going off to school realizing there are all kinds of awesome folks and beautiful places out there. How sad for the folks that never left home. And except for the small towns where they are trying to recruit retirees to survive as North Alabama most transplants tend to be around the beaches and larger cities. And then when they get the retirees there they complain they are ruining their towns and resent them. Go figure!!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:08 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
If Alabama wants to attract a lot of transplants, they should do what Minnesota does--------offer one of the highest welfare benefits in the US.

Amazing how many people will move to your state from Chicago and Gary Indiana.

If the issue becomes serious enough, state legislators can then decide that a person who moves from a state paying lower welfare benfits has to recieve the lower benefits for the first 6 months before getting the higher benefits.

Of course, then lawyers and the courts will rule that is unconstitutional cuz it--------"violates a person's freedom to travel" ( actually happened in Minnesota)

Glad to see that the people who do relocate to Alabama are doing so because they want to and because by moving there they will have a better life.

(rather than the " better life" be achieved via higher state welfare benefits )

Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 11,430 times
In all sincereity Alabama has lots of problems because I think it probably is dominantly a broken welfare state and has been for a very long time. Probably more South Alabama minus the coastal region but it is very prevalent thru out the state. Housing is somewhat cheaper and probably taxes but the state is seriously lagging in alot of better living areas. Some communities have made strides and Huntsville might actually be growing, booming, and the most progressive city in the State at this point in terms of job growth and economy but with that came increased crime and traffic problems they are trying to address. But outside the cities unless you like deer hunting, bass fishing, drinking, and thank goodness for sec football there is absolutely nothing esp for young folks to do in most places. Sooo ahhh scratch the better life, but then again I guess its all relative. Seems not all but alot of states have their own issues these days. I have just found in my college ventures there are some of the neatest places with so much to do I will never have the opportunity to make up for lost time and get everything I want to do and explore done. I guess for me it took getting out of my comfort zone and realizing there was actually a life to live out there beyond our 50 square miles. I realize its not meant for everyone but I do feel sorry for my old school mates that haven`t had the advantage of seeing life beyond a fish bowl. Honestly once you are out I am not sure going back is really an option. Visiting yeah every once in a while but I begin to feel caged in and suffocated in a very short time.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM

168 posts, read 518,133 times
I grew up in Alabama, and I just moved to an area near the coast with a high number of "transplants" and retirees from other states. The new people here seem to be attracted to our genuine friendliness and caring. In Alabama, when we say "Thank you." "You're welcome." "Yes ma'am" "Yes sir" we mean it. I spent some time in California, and they really did not know what to think when I was polite. Don't get me wrong. I know very nice and caring people in the West and from the NORTH, but manners are just something EXPECTED OF YOU growing up in the South. Maybe these "transplants" actually want to become like Alabamians, not change us.

Also, the town I grew up in is medium-sized and has been quickly declining in population since the 50s. People moving to Alabama, and in general -- population growth, is a welcome sight to me.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefrombama View Post
Maybe these "transplants" actually want to become like Alabamians, not change us.
Those are the ones who blend in, therefore they aren't noticed very much. The ones who are always complaining about how things were better back home and demanding "progress" are usually the ones that stick out like a sore thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama