Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

I have met a lot of transplants from Tampa Bay FL who are living in N. AL. Many are retired and wanted a safe, less hectic life. Property taxes and HOI are so much cheaper here.

I think you are right, there are a lot of transplants who blend in and you don't know who is a native and who isn't. I am a native but I haven't lived my whole life in AL, does that make me a transplant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I have met a lot of transplants from Tampa Bay FL who are living in N. AL. Many are retired and wanted a safe, less hectic life. Property taxes and HOI are so much cheaper here.

I think you are right, there are a lot of transplants who blend in and you don't know who is a native and who isn't. I am a native but I haven't lived my whole life in AL, does that make me a transplant?
How about a re-plant:>)

Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,443 times
well I am about to become a transplant myself and cannot wait. How fun, new friends, new church, unknown roads to explore Yey!! But must admit I will probably avoid another small tight knit political little town similar to where I grew up. I like small towns closer to bigger cities. Seems a town used to a touch of transplants fares much better. I just think people being transplanted are looking for similar things(friends) and the town I grew up in no one really needed friends so really did not seem to know how to welcome newcomers. I have worked with some of the 300 retirees my town recruited and sure they thought everyone was polite enough but relationships were shallow. They felt it was difficult to break into lifetime clicks. And trust me instead of honest dialogue everyone wanted to believe they weren`t the one with the problem.(instead it was the transplants that they by the way were recruting for survival) Some folks have been able to be honest and make attempts to address the problem but for others, ugh, it was always someone elses problem. And right too, some of the Floridians that have moved to escape crowding and tax issues just blend in, mind their own business and are content to live in their own world unaffected by others one way or another.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:43 PM

10 posts, read 25,039 times
One thing that I've noticed about southerners is that some feel inferior, maybe subconsciously, to people from the north east. I'm not saying all, but some do. The ones that do hold resentment toward that person from the North East is because he or she thinks that the northerner thinks less of them because they are from the south. Most of the people from the north east that I know are very direct, such as looking you in the eyes when they're speaking to you. Also they are some what aggressive and confrontational. The lack of diversity is another criticism they have because in those larger cities you have to live with different races and cultures and have to accept them for the most part. Only the wealthy can afford to be racist lol j/k. So my point is that I don't mind transplants, you just need to understand where they are coming from and maybe you all can learn something from them.

Wife's from the Bronx and I've lived in Baltimore and other east coast cities

Old 11-23-2009, 08:10 PM

13 posts, read 47,560 times
Just looking at some of the post on here before taking the plunge and becoming a "transplant" myself, along with my husband and three young children. I am just wondering why all the prejudice against northerners? We are from UPSTATE NY and looking to move to Arab. Not all of NY is city and not all of New Yorkers are the same, just as not all people from Alabama are the same. My husband and I hold doors open for people, we wave to people while driving, we strike up conversations with people in stores and frequently talk to our neighbors, our children are well behaved and even have manners. I just don't get why everyone has such bad thoughts about us. The biggest reasons people are moving from Upstate NY is one-taxes, two-jobs, three-the weather we are not looking to trash the southern states nor are we looking to make every southern state the new NY....maybe it's just my family and I but we are looking for a nice community with social events and nice people.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:45 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_carrier View Post
I am just wondering why all the prejudice against northerners? We are from UPSTATE NY and looking to move to Arab. Not all of NY is city and not all of New Yorkers are the same, just as not all people from Alabama are the same...biggest reasons people are moving from Upstate NY is one-taxes, two-jobs, three-the weather we are not looking to trash the southern states nor are we looking to make every southern state the new NY....maybe it's just my family and I but we are looking for a nice community with social events and nice people.
It's really not that bad....there is just a lot of trash talking here.
If you come to Alabama with a good attitude, expecting a good experience, then you will find it...same as anywhere else.
Sounds like you will fit in just fine - welcome!!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:50 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:
Just looking at some of the post on here before taking the plunge and becoming a "transplant" myself, along with my husband and three young children. I am just wondering why all the prejudice against northerners? We are from UPSTATE NY and looking to move to Arab. Not all of NY is city and not all of New Yorkers are the same, just as not all people from Alabama are the same. My husband and I hold doors open for people, we wave to people while driving, we strike up conversations with people in stores and frequently talk to our neighbors, our children are well behaved and even have manners. I just don't get why everyone has such bad thoughts about us. The biggest reasons people are moving from Upstate NY is one-taxes, two-jobs, three-the weather we are not looking to trash the southern states nor are we looking to make every southern state the new NY....maybe it's just my family and I but we are looking for a nice community with social events and nice people.
I live in Arab and can tell you there are a lot of transplants here. I know ppl who have moved here from all over the US. I moved here from FL but I have close friends who are from FL,CT, NY and IL who live here. I have a friend who lives in G'ville who moved here from Long Island a couple of years ago. You will fit in fine if you don't expect Arab to be like where you live now.

Christmas in the Park starts this weekend. If you are coming down in Dec be sure to check it out, over 2 mil in lights plus activities on the weekends. The Santa parade is typical small town parade with trucks and fire engines.

If you need to know anything about Arab I am the resident expert (well at least on City-Data). Schools are excellent here rated #2 in the state

Old 11-24-2009, 07:05 AM

Thanks for making me feel alot less nervous lol, I was starting to worry. Keeper, I read about the Christmas in the park and it sounds wonderful, we cannot wait to get down there, for a visit and then permentately.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:42 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Not all is rosy in AL. Even I have to admit that.

Just look at what you post as your reasons to move - taxes, job, weather. I deal with job related migration to AL/GA almost daily and have done so for years. Over the course of the last two years the trickle has turned to a river. The issues plaguing finance and automotive industries and the respective feeders has turned the SE into a very desirable landscape. This takes away a considerable segment of employment opportunities from "locals" and has an impact on salaries/perks.

Run rough numbers on taxes being paid by a family until children use public funds in form of education. Multiply this by number of school-aged children having moved during a year.

People start looking out for themselves more and more.

Do not get me wrong - it is a great place to move to as long as you are willing to either accept the local way of life or at least do not try to impose your ways upon them. Sweet tea and Wednesday Spaghetti Dinner can be a bit difficult to handle at first.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Threestep- Of course not all things are rosy there, nor anywhere else....I understand everything you said. But what's wrong with sweet tea and Wednesday spaghetti dinner? LOL My husband loves sweet tea and we have Spaghetti dinner any night of the week :-) So we are all set on that lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama