Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Cost of living - do your homework. Atlanta is considerably lower then BHam.
New Yorkers/Floridians - folks have to make a living and go where the jobs are

Kennesaw State is in Metro Atlanta, isn't it?
How could the cost of living be higher in Birmingham? I figured Alabama would have a lower cost of living than Georgia. Atlanta is a major league city with alot of stuff going on there. I don't know anything about Birmingham other than its dubious past and the steel mills going away. How could the cost of living be higher in Birmingham than Atlanta? What would the factor be?

Kennesaw is part of metro Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 02:47 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
How could the cost of living be higher in Birmingham? I figured Alabama would have a lower cost of living than Georgia. Atlanta is a major league city with alot of stuff going on there. I don't know anything about Birmingham other than its dubious past and the steel mills going away. How could the cost of living be higher in Birmingham than Atlanta? What would the factor be?

Kennesaw is part of metro Atlanta.
On a serious note - Have you noticed that all of your posts are secondary information or assumptions?

Go to a grocery store in Atlanta and to one in Birmingham. That is one comparison. Then move on to housing ...

Which steel mills are going away?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM

36 posts, read 130,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Personally, I feel like conservatives try to dictate how people should live based on how they live.
Strange comment based on your name? just sayin'...

Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtofdixiechk View Post
Strange comment based on your name? just sayin'...

I went to the University of Pennsylvania for grad school and our mascot is a Quaker, thus pennquaker.

My comment had nothing to do with my screen name.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
anyways back to the original premise of the OP. How in anyway is Alabama even on it's way to becoming the next Florida? The entire Tri county metro area of Miami alone has 1 million more people than the entire state of Alabama. The states are vastly different culturally and demographic wise except for perhaps the panhandle.
When I made those comments about religion I just remember that politician or judge who had a slab of the 10 Commandments in a Alabama Courthouse. I know it's the Bible belt but what about seperation of church & state?
Anyways Florida has never really been a true Southern state except for the northern parts that border Alabama & Georgia.To us Jacksonville might as well cross the border and become part of Georgia! Then again you should hear what they say about Miami & south Florida!All in all as to the OP's concern I don't think he has to worry about Alabama losing it's "Southerness" or becoming the next Florida.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 AM

36 posts, read 130,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I went to the University of Pennsylvania for grad school and our mascot is a Quaker, thus pennquaker.

My comment had nothing to do with my screen name.
Just thought it was ironic. No harm meant.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Anyways Florida has never really been a true Southern state except for the northern parts that border Alabama & Georgia.
Maybe not in our lifetime, but at one time it was. Read up on your Florida history. There is a reason the capital is in north FL and there is a reason the oldest cities are in north FL. Miami barely existed 100 years ago because south FL was uninhabitable.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe not in our lifetime, but at one time it was. Read up on your Florida history. There is a reason the capital is in north FL and there is a reason the oldest cities are in north FL. Miami barely existed 100 years ago because south FL was uninhabitable.
That thanks to Henry Flagler for extending the Florida East Coast Railway to Miami/ Biscayne Bay.

I think even then North Florida was similar to South Georgia & Alabama and the further south in Florida you got, it was either uninhabited or more spanish oriented... just as it is today, more or less (except for the uninhabited part, northern transplants & refugees from Caribbean countries changed all that). I mean, look at the Little Havana community in Miami. Everything there is written in espanol except for the street signs. Its great!

...and on THAT note, Alabama need not worry. It is eons away from ever getting to that point. For that matter, the Florida Panhandle is, too.

Last edited by WanderingImport; 11-03-2009 at 08:49 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I mean, look at the Little Havana community in Miami. Everything there is written in espanol except for the street signs. Its great!
Why is that great?

It's the exact opposite in Pensacola, many streets have Spanish names because of it's Spanish colonial history, but English is certainly the common language.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:56 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times
^^^ I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama