Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,779 times

Advertisements

I just started a new job in Phenix City. My wife and kids will be joining me as soon as our house in Ft. Worth sells.

Our question is this:
We like both the Auburn and Smiths area, and I know Auburn ISD is supposed to be exemplary, but how much better is it? Is Smiths really good as well, just not AS good?

It seems that finding a home reasonably priced in the Auburn ISD is a bit more challenging than finding something similar in Smiths schools district.

I have to say I have been surprised at the price of homes here. I really thought they would be less expensive than where we lived in Ft. Worth.
A home that goes for $200k here is going for $160-175 in DFW.

Anyway, we're very excited about moving to this area, but the schools are a big factor.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerInvictus View Post
I just started a new job in Phenix City. My wife and kids will be joining me as soon as our house in Ft. Worth sells.

Our question is this:
We like both the Auburn and Smiths area, and I know Auburn ISD is supposed to be exemplary, but how much better is it? Is Smiths really good as well, just not AS good?

It seems that finding a home reasonably priced in the Auburn ISD is a bit more challenging than finding something similar in Smiths schools district.

I have to say I have been surprised at the price of homes here. I really thought they would be less expensive than where we lived in Ft. Worth.
A home that goes for $200k here is going for $160-175 in DFW.

Anyway, we're very excited about moving to this area, but the schools are a big factor.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Smiths is a good school district for Alabama--one of the better in the area--but there is a pretty substantial drop off between Auburn and Smiths. Auburn's probably one of the top two or three districts in the state, and is generally ranked in the top 1% or 2% in the US for public districts. Smiths is probably about top 35% or 40% in Alabama, and I've never seen any of the national rankings place them.

My own personal experience around kids of both districts is that Smiths does an excellent job of preparing kids for life in the Columbus area, but Auburn prepares its students to be competitive on a national level. It's largely a matter of focus, but Auburn schools generally have higher expectations for their kids, and they generally produce.

As someone who went to college in Texas, from an academic standpoint Smiths would be Texas Tech (solid school, does what they do well, better than average) and Auburn would be Rice (top-flight school, not the very best in the country but within shouting distance, very high expectations).

I don't think you'd be disappointed with Smiths schools, but I do think you'd be missing out if Auburn was an option. There is a reason decent housing at a reasonable price is hard to find in Auburn, and that reason is almost entirely the quality of the schools.

Good luck in your search!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:49 PM

150 posts, read 395,122 times
I used to live in Smiths-some call it Smiths Station-and I can tell u the area is great. Not nearly as many subdivisions to pick from as Auburn but Smiths is much closer to Phenix City than Auburn and Opelika so I would definitely look there first. Look along the Auburn Rd. corridor commonly called Lee Rd 240 it runs from Opelika-Salem to Smiths and right to Phenix City. Many nice subdivisions are located along the road in your price range. Several new establishments as well. The community is so great in that area to. Smiths schools are great. in fact they are building a completely new high school slated to open in 2011 and the middle school is going where the high school used to be I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama