Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 04:04 PM

8 posts, read 30,261 times

Advertisements

Ny husband and I are thinking of retiring to Alabama in a few years and we're trying to focus our search. He loves golf, which means about anywhere in Alabama. I love birding, so we want an area with lots of birds, and hopefully an active birding society. However, we don't want to live way down by Gulf Shores. We currently live on the Gulf coast in Texas, and are anxious to get away from hurricanes. We've about been done in by those! Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:06 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Alabama has the Robert Trent Jones golf trail, with 11 great courses throughout the State, plus Alabama Birding Trails.

You may want to consider North Alabama (about 5 or 6 hour drive from the coast - far enough that all we get from hurricanes is wind and rain - however we do have tornadoes). There are plenty of golf courses, plus the North Alabama Birding Trail. Huntsville has some serious birders and is close to much of the Birding Trail. For example, less than an hour to the 20,000+ acres of Skyline and the Walls of Jericho:

Quote:
Skyline Wildlife Management Area is an extensive tract of wild lands in northeastern Alabama, which hosts the state's only population of Ruffed Grouse. This carefully managed area also supports older hardwood forests utilized by nesting Cerulean Warblers. A visit to the WMA is most rewarding in spring when Yellowbreasted Chats, Field Sparrows, Indigo Buntings and Prairie Warblers can be heard singing throughout. With careful exploration and a little luck, spring visitors might also hear the drumming of the male Ruffed Grouse, although Wild Turkey and Northern Bobwhite are much easier to find. This mosaic of regenerating habitats provides a tremendous diversity of bird species, making it a special treat for birders.
We also have 'seasons', a weather phenomenon with which you may be unfamiliar

Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Decatur is flanked on the east and north by the Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge and the Tennessee River. It's all part of the birding trail. Lots of different species overwinter here.

The North Alabama Audubon Society used to be quite active...I'm not sure if it is anymore, but the folks at the refuge should know.

Decatur is also right on I-65 for north-south travel. Here's some info: North Alabama Bird Watching :: Decatur-Morgan County, Alabama Convention & Visitor's Bureau :: (http://www.decaturcvb.org/default.aspx?id=155 - broken link)

Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,151,507 times
Dauphin Island would have been perfect but all of the other suggestions are nice also.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,837,795 times
A year ago while on a birding event at Wheeler we met a couple who had moved here to watch birds. They were from Arizona and chose the area around Hartselle because of its proximity to Wheeler. There seems to be a strong association of birders here. Every spring and fall they have bird watching events listed in the paper. We have been on a few and met some nice people.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 AM

8 posts, read 30,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post

We also have 'seasons', a weather phenomenon with which you may be unfamiliar
Ah, yes-I do remember seasons. We used to live in Massachusetts, and one thing I miss down here is the seasons. North Alabama sounds terrific! Anyplace near Muscle Shoals? My husband loved golfing there.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 PM

234 posts, read 708,189 times
Sounds like you should look at Decatur or Huntsville.

Decatur is nearly surrounded by wildlife. The Wheeler Wildlife Refuge and the North Alabama Birding Trail have huge stakes around the city. All the protected areas around the city are pretty much geared toward protecting birds and other waterfowl. Wheeler has a special bird observation building and a few lakes and ponds to create habitats. Of course, there is the ENORMOUS Wheeler Lake that is a big stop for geese and ducks when the migrate.

Huntsville would be a great option too. The Huntsville Madison County Landtrust is absolutely beautiful and I've seen some pretty spectacular showings of birds there before. Monte Sano State Park is also located pretty much within the city. Of course, you can't forget the Hampton Cove Golf Course, part of the RTJ. It's beautiful out there, something I'm sure your husband would love.

Basically, you need to look at North Alabama, it's a perfect combination for what y'all are looking for.

Florence/Muscle Shoals, Decatur, Athens, Huntsville, Guntersville, and Scottsboro are all some places that you should look into.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:25 PM

Wheeler has a huge number of sandhill cranes that are now wintering there every year. Last year we estimated at least a thousand. It was a beautiful site. We love the sandhill cranes from our Wisconsin days and even up there never saw this many together. A must site for everyone.

Even withing city limits we have seen kingfishers and 2 types of herons. We even have a bald eagle in the neighborhood. You can't go wrong in the area if you are an avid birdwatcher.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 PM

234 posts, read 708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
Wheeler has a huge number of sandhill cranes that are now wintering there every year. Last year we estimated at least a thousand. It was a beautiful site. We love the sandhill cranes from our Wisconsin days and even up there never saw this many together. A must site for everyone.

Even withing city limits we have seen kingfishers and 2 types of herons. We even have a bald eagle in the neighborhood. You can't go wrong in the area if you are an avid birdwatcher.
I can literally walk to the refuge from my house. I live on the western side of Flint Creek. The part I walk to is covered with corn and wheat fields, so you constantly see geese flying overhead during the migrating seasons. It's really cool. Sometimes I wake up to their honking

Also, my mom and I maintain a lot of bird feeders in our backyard and we see a plethora of breeds each year. Lots of cardinals, blue jays, and BEAUTIFUL finches!

Here's one that I shot a picture of sitting on a power line behind our house:

Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM

you are so lucky to live next to the refuge! Do you see any cranes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama