Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:42 PM

207 posts, read 324,678 times

Advertisements

I am in my late twenties, single, and I currently live in Maryland. All of my family is back in Alabama. I have very deep roots there. However, I also grew up moving all around the country because my dad was in the Navy before he retired, so I don't know as much about my home as you would think.

Can someone give me a place that would have a lot of science/environmental related jobs and large Baptist churches with large singles groups? Are there any areas that have a lot of young professionals (that aren't Yankee transplants)? I have dated plenty of Northern men during my stay here in Maryland, and I find I don't have anything in common with them. I am interested in finding a nice southern guy.

I am also looking for an area that has cheap apartments/ town homes in safe areas.

Thanks!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
You could try the Mobile area, you might find a environmental related job in the delta.

The Nature Conservancy in Alabama - Mobile-Tensaw Delta Landscape Conservation Area
Careers In Conservation

Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Huntsville has jobs.. as far as Yankee men go I wouldn't discount all of them, I married one.

There are lots of churches, the biggest complaint is there aren't a lot of places for young singles to go to party

Old 11-23-2009, 05:21 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
You might check the Birmingham area....the medical field is big, which would supply your science requirement. Lots of young people, and lots of big churches with thriving singles groups.
Good luck - my southern man is half Yankee, but his Southern mama raised him here in Alabama so he's all right!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 PM

299 posts, read 937,739 times
Mobile probably has a good amount of environmental jobs because of the delta (as was stated) and Dauphin Island SeaLab (they do things like coastal restoration, dune research, riparian and water studies, and then there is Galliard Island in the bay where brown pelicans were brought back from the brink of extinction and the Alabama Red-Bellied Turtle that lives only in our waters- plus our manitees, alligators, beach mice, etc.).

Old 11-25-2009, 06:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post

Can someone give me a place that would have a lot of science/environmental related jobs
It's ten times easier to find a home and a man and a church after you've found a job than it is to find a job after you've found a man.

Find a job first, then go from there.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:35 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
I second checking out Huntsville.
Few areas in the entire nation have as much a "science-based" economy as Huntsville.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:54 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
I am in my late twenties, single, and I currently live in Maryland. All of my family is back in Alabama. I have very deep roots there. However, I also grew up moving all around the country because my dad was in the Navy before he retired, so I don't know as much about my home as you would think.

Can someone give me a place that would have a lot of science/environmental related jobs and large Baptist churches with large singles groups? Are there any areas that have a lot of young professionals (that aren't Yankee transplants)? I have dated plenty of Northern men during my stay here in Maryland, and I find I don't have anything in common with them. I am interested in finding a nice southern guy.

I am also looking for an area that has cheap apartments/ town homes in safe areas.

Thanks!!!!!!
What do you mean by "professional". it used to mean only docs,lawyers and mainstream clergy?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,423,536 times
Quote:
Are there any areas that have a lot of young professionals (that aren't Yankee transplants)? I have dated plenty of Northern men during my stay here in Maryland, and I find I don't have anything in common with them. I am interested in finding a nice southern guy.

Thanks!!!!!!
Match [dot]com... EHarmony [dot]com
You're welcome!!!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 11:15 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,552 times
Quote:

Thanks!!!!!!
Yeah, because we're all the same
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama