Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 PM

9 posts, read 39,115 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else know this?? I find it amazing, especially since I used to live in Washington! I didn't think it got rainier than Washington, lol. It sure does rain a lot here, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewbieDoobie View Post
Did anyone else know this?? I find it amazing, especially since I used to live in Washington! I didn't think it got rainier than Washington, lol. It sure does rain a lot here, though.
Mobile is definitely high on the list. Here are the top 10:

10 wettest cities by precipitation average.

1. Aberdeen, WA---------- 83.7"
2. Astoria, OR------------- 67.1
3. Mobile, AL-------------- 66.3
4. Miami (Hialeah), FL------ 66.0
5. Baton Rouge, LA-------- 65.1
6. North Bend, OR--------- 64.4
7. Pensacola, FL----------- 64.3
8. New Orleans, LA-------- 64.2
9. Fort Lauderdale, FL----- 64.2
10.Tallahassee, FL--------- 63.2

(Source: From the book "Extreme Weather," a guide and record book)

Old 12-03-2009, 01:12 AM

168 posts, read 518,371 times
I'd believe it. With the summer humidity, you might as well be swimming in the ocean than walking down the street. Lots of fuel for storms!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewbieDoobie View Post
Mobile natives do NOT grow moss between their toes:>)

Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Well that honor changes every year. In 2007 Mobile was listed as #1.

http://www.livescience.com/environme...ny_cities.html

Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Mobile is definitely high on the list. Here are the top 10:

10 wettest cities by precipitation average.

1. Aberdeen, WA---------- 83.7"
2. Astoria, OR------------- 67.1
3. Mobile, AL-------------- 66.3
4. Miami (Hialeah), FL------ 66.0
5. Baton Rouge, LA-------- 65.1
6. North Bend, OR--------- 64.4
7. Pensacola, FL----------- 64.3
8. New Orleans, LA-------- 64.2
9. Fort Lauderdale, FL----- 64.2
10.Tallahassee, FL--------- 63.2

(Source: From the book "Extreme Weather," a guide and record book)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Well that honor changes every year. In 2007 Mobile was listed as #1.

Study Reveals Top 10 Wettest U.S. Cities | LiveScience
From the livescience.com source above:

"The study ranked 195 cities in the contiguous 48 states by the amount of rainfall they received annually over a 30-year period, although Olympia actually had the most rainy days on average across the three decades (63) of all the cities in the study. Mobile came in second on the latter scale, with 59 average annual rainy days."

and

"The 10 rainiest cities in the U.S. by amount of annual rainfall include:
  • Mobile, Alabama--67 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
  • Pensacola, Florida--65 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
  • New Orleans, Louisiana--64 inches average annual rainfall; 59 average annual rainy days
  • West Palm Beach, Florida--63 inches average annual rainfall; 58 average annual rainy days
  • Lafayette, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 55 average annual rainy days
  • Baton Rouge, Louisiana--62 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
  • Miami, Florida--62 inches average annual rainfall; 57 average annual rainy days
  • Port Arthur, Texas--61 inches average annual rainfall; 51 average annual rainy days
  • Tallahassee, Florida--61 inches average annual rainfall; 56 average annual rainy days
  • Lake Charles, Louisiana--58 inches average annual rainfall; 50 average annual rainy days"
So something seems odd. Maybe Aberdeen isn't in the 195 cities.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Main difference is that Mobile's rain comes in strong thunderstorms - then it turns back to bright sunshine. Washington seems worse because it comes in a constant drizzle with consistently grey skies.

Don't forget hurricanes add to that number too.

But yes, Mobile has always been one of the highest ... you just wouldn't know it right off due to all the sunshine.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Main difference is that Mobile's rain comes in strong thunderstorms -
Yup. The biggest part in this is the pop up thunderstorms during the summer, it'll be nice and sunny and then you'll suddenly notice the black clouds looming on the horizon. I can't count how many times I have been mowing my lawn during nice weather only to have to run inside when I'm only half way finished. This also a big reason why golfers get struck by lightning.

The winter rains are usually due to cold fronts colliding with the warm gulf air, like yesterday when my yard looked like a pond. Not a drop of rain today though and all of the water has pretty much drained away. I can't imagine how wet this area would really be if it weren't for the quick draining sandy soil.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Main difference is that Mobile's rain comes in strong thunderstorms - then it turns back to bright sunshine. Washington seems worse because it comes in a constant drizzle with consistently grey skies.

Don't forget hurricanes add to that number too.

But yes, Mobile has always been one of the highest ... you just wouldn't know it right off due to all the sunshine.
I've lived in WA and in North Alabama and I've described the difference to people back in WA who are surprised that much of the south's rainfall totals are similar to many places in the PNW--

Down here it's like someone dumps a bucket-full of water on you every few days...in the western PNW it's like someone is constantly shooting you with a squirt-gun...

Old 12-03-2009, 02:29 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post

Down here it's like someone dumps a bucket-full of water on you every few days...in the western PNW it's like someone is constantly shooting you with a squirt-gun...
That would be God Can you tell I'm bored? I'm not make any religious statement, but cannot find any plausible explanation to this phenomenon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama