U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 AM

247 posts, read 1,049,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Is Ft. Payne still "dry?"
No. I do believe that Ft. Payne is now wet. Just to let our friend from NC know, there are many areas in Alabama that are "dry". This means that the sale of alcoholic beverages is illegal. If you're a beer or liquor drinker this can be quite annoying.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 09:00 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,853,183 times
Generally only flaming liberal city folks think that redneck = racist.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM

61,015 posts, read 52,482,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agmx999 View Post
Searched other post couldn't find answer. I'm a single white male 28 years old from North Carolina, moving to Alabama for several months to a year. I love fishing, camping, hunting, 4 wheelin and only country music. Redneck but not racist. Looking for a town with lots of fun loving good ole boys, down home women and obviously places to fish, camp and go wheelin. Moving soon so any info. would be great. Thanks
What do you have against anything that isn't country music? I am basically exposed to it alot, without living in a "redneck" town.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM

247 posts, read 1,049,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Generally only flaming liberal city folks think that redneck = racist.
Well I am a liberal and I do currently live in a city, Birmingham. That being said, I was raised in rural Tuscaloosa County and have many relatives there that most people would consider redneck. I also have many relatives on my fathers side in St. Clair County, almost all rednecks. So I do most certainly have redneck roots.

I worked in a large manufacturing plant in Tuscaloosa for 16 years in the 80's and 90's. Not many coworkers were actually from the city of Tuscaloosa. Most were rednecks from rural Tuscaloosa, Bibb, Hale and Pickens counties. So in a nutshell, I have A LOT of experience being around rednecks.

I've met very few that I would consider non racist. It's certainly not as bad as it used to be but I've yet to go to family reunion or any other event with rednecks when someone didn't start telling racist jokes or making racist comments with almost all the others in agreement. I do know that non racist rednecks do exist, I've met a handfull but as I said earlier the redneck but not racist thing will be tough to find.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 25,203 times
Thanks for the replies. Like skinem said I'm looking more in the northeast area. Somewhere between Anniston and Guntersville. Finding a job and place to stay will be important. It will be a temporary move so I need a solid job but not a career. While down there I'll be visiting other towns for a more permanent move later. I'll probably have to wait till this cold front passes first since I'll have no place to stay when I first get down there. I'll be sleeping in back of truck couple nights I suppose. We have dry towns here and I love whiskey so a dry town would not be a good place for me, so I'll keep that in mind.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:49 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,879,405 times
I have had this conversation on here before, but I think there is a difference between being country and being a redneck. I have always believed that a redneck is a country person, plus the ignorance and prejudicial beliefs. Country people are just that--country. They are typically pretty intelligent and open minded, unlike what I (key word is I) consider to be a redneck.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:50 PM

168 posts, read 477,448 times
You would like Hokes Bluff. I won't say too much more, because it was definitely not the right town for me growing up. But you would fit in there (in a good way, not the bad).

It's hard to comment on this post, because the OP wants some of the things I fled from.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:57 PM

61,015 posts, read 52,482,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
I have had this conversation on here before, but I think there is a difference between being country and being a redneck. I have always believed that a redneck is a country person, plus the ignorance and prejudicial beliefs. Country people are just that--country. They are typically pretty intelligent and open minded, unlike what I (key word is I) consider to be a redneck.
That is exactly how I see it.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,728,295 times
Millerville

Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 PM

9,803 posts, read 14,728,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Is Ft. Payne still "dry?"

The referendum passed in Fort Payne a couple years ago.

After time and time again of coming up it got defeated.

The city was having a meeting with a woman from the Alabama Tourist Association and she told them their area/city had a lot of potential for tourism, but the fact Fort Payne was dry hurt them.

Someone came up with a great idea !

They stated if the referendum passed, the city's portion of the alcohol tax revenues would go to the school in Fort Payne.

It passed ( 2800+--------2600+ ) and the cities share of the tax revenue has been presented to the school in Fort Payne each quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama