U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 AM

18,324 posts, read 3,993,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmx999 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Like skinem said I'm looking more in the northeast area. Somewhere between Anniston and Guntersville. Finding a job and place to stay will be important. It will be a temporary move so I need a solid job but not a career. While down there I'll be visiting other towns for a more permanent move later. I'll probably have to wait till this cold front passes first since I'll have no place to stay when I first get down there. I'll be sleeping in back of truck couple nights I suppose. We have dry towns here and I love whiskey so a dry town would not be a good place for me, so I'll keep that in mind.
To me it sounds like you need to set some priorities.
Motels are cheap but sleeping in your car outside a campground will almost guarantee you a brush with local PD.
The more rural the area the scarcer are jobs. The days of walking into the office of a mill and getting hired on the spot are over. Particullarly for strangers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:43 AM

8,177 posts, read 17,501,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Just learn how to say "the Florida Gators suck!" and you'll fit in anywhere in Bama!

Ok..that's funny right there...I don't care who you are.

I already say that but I'm a Nole's fan. I'm weaning myself off (the team is actually helping me lol) and staring to follow Bama.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 AM

2,660 posts, read 6,382,772 times
I had no clue there were still "dry" towns anywhere ...

I learned something from opening this thread . What was Fort Payne's reasoning for being a dry town?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:58 AM

61,831 posts, read 52,964,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Generally only flaming liberal city folks think that redneck = racist.
Actually, I don't find that to be true. In my view, there is a big difference between being "country" and being a "redneck". My track coach explained it like this. "A person can be country and not be a 'redneck' ". His view was that a person who is country likes being in the country, fishing, and that stuff, but a 'redneck' is someone who is angry, racist, etc. My track coach was self-described country and he was a very open-minded person, which is more than what I could say for some of the people I lived around. I used to live in one fo those "redneck" towns and just from my experiences, I didn't like it.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,466,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
I had no clue there were still "dry" towns anywhere ...

I learned something from opening this thread . What was Fort Payne's reasoning for being a dry town?
Not getting into the "rightness" or "wrongness" of dry/wet arguments (please) it usually boiled down to a couple of issues...to many people it was the morality of drinking (there are still folks down here who don't think drinking alcohol is right) and to many others they saw it as making a community safer believing there won't be as many people drinking therefore not as many drunk drivers on the road.

A by-product of wet/dry communities was/is a plethora of beer stores right at the county/city line making it for those in dry counties a little more convenient and not so long a drive to pick up the booze....

Some communities now are what many folks term "damp"...beer sales legal but liquor isn't. Or liquor sales restricted to bars, or sales between certain hours, and every kind of combination between the ranges of wide-open and none at all.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 AM

2,660 posts, read 6,382,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Not getting into the "rightness" or "wrongness" of dry/wet arguments (please) it usually boiled down to a couple of issues...to many people it was the morality of drinking (there are still folks down here who don't think drinking alcohol is right) and to many others they saw it as making a community safer believing there won't be as many people drinking therefore not as many drunk drivers on the road.

A by-product of wet/dry communities was/is a plethora of beer stores right at the county/city line making it for those in dry counties a little more convenient and not so long a drive to pick up the booze....

Some communities now are what many folks term "damp"...beer sales legal but liquor isn't. Or liquor sales restricted to bars, or sales between certain hours, and every kind of combination between the ranges of wide-open and none at all.
My only issue with the concept of dry towns is that (assuming they are most likely religious conservative towns) they probably preach personal freedom and hate the current administration (or at least that's the stereotype) ... yet turn around support a completely statist-style law (prohibiting a sale of legal object on moral grounds). I don't mind the statism (if the voters determine they want that), but the hypocrisy would bother me.

But since this is the Alabama forum, I'll drop it at that .

Thanks for the info. I am very familiar with "damp" towns. Growing up in Mobile, you can only buy liquor at ABC or package stores. I now live in a place where you can get liquor anywhere (gas stations, grocery stores, etc). Very convinient, but you would know that I am now getting older and drink much less than I used to now that I live in a wet area lol.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 25,248 times
Thanks again for the replies everyone. Threestep you're right. Times are changing that's why I'm looking for small towns that are still simple and people still have common sense. I am looking for info on small towns but like I said the first move will be temporary. So I think I'll be moving to the Tuscaloosa area for job oppurtunities and inexpensive rent and take trips on the weekends to the surrounding area's. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings with the whole redneck not racist thing. I was just describing myself and I agree with rickers " Generally only flaming liberal city folks think that redneck = racist." And from my experience with MOST liberals I've met ( I lived in California for years ) they're less open minded and quick to judge and put people down for their way of life. Most country folk/rednecks I grew up around are laid back and give you a chance first. If your polite and not disrespectful, regardless of race we'll get along just fine.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,888,623 times
Well, I am pretty liberal (flaming city, not so sure...) and I welcome you to AL. Just because I am liberal doesn't mean I think I am above others, that is an unfortunate stereotype that is fairly new, but we really aren't all like that. My best friend at work lives in a very rural area, and enjoys mudding, ATV, hunting, country music, FOX News, etc., and I think he is a smarter man than I. You will really like the Tuscaloosa area. I am not there often, but communte to school there every week from Birmingham. I really think it is a great area.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:42 PM

5,950 posts, read 17,050,990 times
Most of the counties and towns that are dry in Alabama have been dry since prohibition.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:54 AM

18,324 posts, read 3,993,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agmx999 View Post
Thanks again for the replies everyone. Threestep you're right. Times are changing that's why I'm looking for small towns that are still simple and people still have common sense. I am looking for info on small towns but like I said the first move will be temporary. So I think I'll be moving to the Tuscaloosa area for job oppurtunities and inexpensive rent and take trips on the weekends to the surrounding area's. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings with the whole redneck not racist thing. I was just describing myself and I agree with rickers " Generally only flaming liberal city folks think that redneck = racist." And from my experience with MOST liberals I've met ( I lived in California for years ) they're less open minded and quick to judge and put people down for their way of life. Most country folk/rednecks I grew up around are laid back and give you a chance first. If your polite and not disrespectful, regardless of race we'll get along just fine.
Tuscaloosa would be the first college town with low rent and job opportunities:>( Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama