Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,825 times

Advertisements

As far as "Alabama was the subject of legends"...most of the legends were rooted in racism...who wants to celebrate that. Though, I will say that in some aspects, especially in outward appearance Alabama has come a long way, however there is a long way to go.

I do think that there are areas in Alabama that have a large or okay tourism industry, especially around the beaches and golf trails. There are some historical sites in the state that are available as well. Though, if you're not interested in those arenas it would definitely seem that tourism is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
When I was in Huntville the Spring jam was in the Fall and Fall weather in Huntsville very pleasent. I just think that the Bridgestreet Shopping center would be a good place.
The "Spring Jam" is actually called the Big Spring Jam and it's called such because the jam is held at the park around the large spring that's called, strangely enough, Big Spring. Nothing to do with the season as to when it's held.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:32 AM

4,995 posts, read 9,143,305 times
Yeah I know that !! ! I will admit upon my first visit to Huntsville I thought the name of the event was rather stupid for a Spring Jam to be in the Fall until I found out that it was near a spring of course. Just as the Bayfest in Mobile is within close proximity of the bay.I remember a national radio personality making fun Huntsville`s Spring Jam during the time.

The point that I was making was to the previous post about sunbathing on asphalt. What I was saying is that Fall weather in Huntsville is pleasent and they should still have the event near or at Bridgestreet I don`t think there will be any sunbatyhing around that time.

Huntsville: Big Spring Jam

Birmingham: City Stages

Montgomery: Jubilee festival

Mobile : Bay Fest

Old 04-23-2010, 04:25 AM

5 posts, read 25,503 times
Alabama has a large manufacturing industry(especially auto), a tech center in Huntsville, and great people statewide. Amazing BBQ, one of the most critically acclaimed Shakespeare Theater's in the world. Awesome zoo's, amazing State Park's, beautiful national forests. Need I mention two of the top 15 college football programs of all time?

That said(and I'm native Bama), why the H would anyone else want to vacation in Bama?

Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 AM

179 posts, read 392,422 times
I'm not sure native Alabamans understand the strong (and largely negative) stereotype others have of Alabama. This state has a huge negative image to overcome rooted in the racial incidents of the 60's & 70's.

Unfortunately we have politicians who assure anyone visiting and seeing their ads that we are still backward rednecks.

I wish this state could come out as the "best" in certain areas. One item that stands out in my mind is rewriting our horrible Constitution and making it be "best" of the 50 states.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prden View Post
I'm not sure native Alabamans understand the strong (and largely negative) stereotype others have of Alabama. This state has a huge negative image to overcome rooted in the racial incidents of the 60's & 70's.
Well, South Africa was apartheid and now they are hosting the world cup so that has nothing to do with it. Plus people from across America come to Alabama because of that history. Plus the people won.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:03 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prden View Post
I'm not sure native Alabamans understand the strong (and largely negative) stereotype others have of Alabama. This state has a huge negative image to overcome rooted in the racial incidents of the 60's & 70's. .
Believe me, the people here understand all too well (and often)the largely negative and ignorant negative image there is to overcome.

Most any southerner who has been out of the south has experienced the ignorance first-hand..."You're from the south? You must have known a lot of prejudiced people." (Me, staring intently at the speaker--"Yes. I have met some.") "You're from the south? Do people there really not wear shoes?" (No, that's not true. Why I've been wearing shoes for purt nigh on to 5 years now.") "You're from the south? Do the girls still wear the big hoop dresses?" (Only when they're not wearing overalls.) "Have you been to a Klan rally?" (Yes. It's a state law that all white people must attend at least one a year.) "Do they let black people go to school down there?" (No! Are you crazy!? All that larnin' just makes people dangerous.) "Have you picked cotton?" (Nope. But I have picked grits from grit plants.) "Isn't everyone fat?" (Yup. All of us. No gyms allowed, plus we're too likkered up from the moonshine to exercise much.)

Just a sampling...

Alabama knows it has a hard row to hoe with the negative stereotypes. That's why I've seen so many commercials for Alabama tourism when I lived in another state (usually about the RTJ Golf Trail, space camp and Mobile), but it is hard to undo a half-century or longer of perception.

My long-deceased grandpa is from Alabama--came up poor and did the "grapes of wrath" thing during the depression and moved west. When I came back south, he told me one time that he sure hoped I'd come back soon, because "Alabama ain't no kind of place for anyone trying to get ahead." His perception was colored, shaped and determined by his tough experiences and he couldn't understand how much change has taken place since he'd left.

I do wish that others could really see what the place is like now. No place is perfect, not even those from which others look down their noses at the state.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:21 PM

179 posts, read 392,422 times
I could never have imagined myself living in Alabama--much less LOVING it!

People cling to the stereotypes (and sometimes we promote them).

Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
When you have new orleans;florida beaches and even the beaches in Mississippi its hard to compete.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:32 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,709 times
I gotta be honest, I never really thought of Alabama as a place I'd visit. I've seen it from the highway on my way to Dallas or Knoxville or somewhere else. My guess is that eco-tourism might take off there since there's plenty of forest and natural beauty in general to be had. Teach people about the unique aspects of your land and set up ziplines, camp areas. Promote the unique animals that live there. Could be good.

Oh, and whoever said South Carolina beaches are inferior has clearly lost their d--- mind! Our beaches are emerald perfection! Whether you're in Myrtle Beach or on one of our amazing barrier islands, our beaches are AMAZING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama