Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,313 times

Advertisements

Get a load of what the Prime Minister is saying...........

[url=http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/1034254/rudd-has-dig-at-robin-williams-alabama]Rudd has dig at Robin Williams, Alabama[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:10 AM

309 posts, read 718,389 times
*shrugs* A jib for a jab, I say.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
whatever. We all know that Australians are like Crocodile Dundee and like shrimps on the Barbie doll.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,946,598 times
Australia has a lot of rednecks too. Not that there's anything wrong with that

Old 04-01-2010, 02:51 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,660 times
Don't worry - most Australians (including myself) consider him a tool anyway...!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:08 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Australia has a lot of rednecks too. Not that there's anything wrong with that
We don't have rednecks, we have 'bogans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Don't worry - most Australians (including myself) consider him a tool anyway...!
Yet, undoubtedly, he will be re-elected.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 AM

163 posts, read 297,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
We don't have rednecks, we have 'bogans'

Yet, undoubtedly, he will be re-elected.
Perhaps went a little overboard, but I like to stand against the stereotypes of Alabama and its citizens. Here's an email I sent to Prime Minister Rudd:

Most Honourable Prime Minister Rudd,

I do not agree with Robin Williams' recent characterization of the citizens of Australia. At the same time I must take issue with your characterization of the State of Alabama and Alabamians. I wonder if you are familiar with our State.

I am a physician and native Alabamian, although presently I reside in Texas. Alabama has its share of people who are uneducated, like any large area. We also have a past checkered with racial strife, although, currently, race relations in our state are excellent. A point on this topic routinely overlooked is the courage and strength of many Alabamians, especially African Americans, who helped improve race relations in the United States and throughout the world as they stood up for the dignity of all human beings. Perhaps the most significant museum of Civil Rights in the world is in downtown Birmingham.

Alabamians have also made significant contributions to the world as noted below:

--- the rockets that first carried astronauts to the moon were designed and built by Alabamians in Huntsville

--- Helen Keller is but one of the noted personalities who are native Alabamians; the sports figures and entertainers from our state are enumerable

--- In the first FIVE years of the "American Idol" talent show on the Fox Network, TWO OVERALL WINNERS, Ruben Studdard and Taylor Hicks , and TWO RUNNER UPS, Bo Bice and Diana DeGarmo, were all from Birmingham

--- Huntsville, Alabama named as "America's Best City" by Kiplinger's Personal Finance, 2009.

--- In the past 15 years, Hoover High School, in the Birmingham area, has produced a Miss America ( Heather Whitestone 1995 ) and an "American Idol" winner. ( Taylor Hicks 2006 )

--- the second largest research park in the US ( behind only Research Triangle Park in North Carolina ) is Cummings Research Park in Huntsville, Alabama

--- Huntsville has the most engineers per capita of any city in the United States

--- the first open heart surgery in the Western Hemisphere was performed in Montgomery, Alabama

--- the Alabama School of Fine Arts in Birmingham is the nation’s only state-supported school of its kind with grades 7-12. Mikhail Baryshnikov called the school, "...one of the top three schools in the country for teaching ballet"

--- Moody's Economy.com has named Huntsville as the #1 metropolitan area in the US for job growth ( out of 378 metro areas) March 16, 2010

--- Highlands: A Bar and Grill, located in Birmingham was ranked by Gourmet Magazine as the #5 restaurant in America. October, 2001

--- The University of Alabama-Birmingham (UAB)Medical Center is the kidney transplant capital of the world

--- UAB’s medical center is ranked #3 in the nation (behind only Mayo Clinic and Mass. General) in overall quality of health care (Source: The Best in Medicine).

--- UAB’s Kirklin Clinic was designed by world-renowned architect I.M. Pei

--- Birmingham ranked 18th in the nation in the 2004 "Most Literate Cities" study, ahead of such cities as New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. The criteria were: education level of residents, number of magazines and journals published, newspaper circulation and number of booksellers. University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, 2004

--- Birmingham’s "Southern Research Institute is the leading private research institute in the country--probably in the world--in the field of drug discovery and development," Arthur D. Broom, professor of medicinal chemistry at the University of Utah, Chemical & Engineering News, October 18, 2004

--- Birmingham is a major financial center; the amount of total assets currently headquartered in Birmingham exceeds that of Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Tampa and Miami. Lance Nail, Ph.D., chairman of the Department of Finance, Economics and Quantitative Methods at UAB School of Business, The Birmingham News, February 25, 2007

I apologize for the length of this email, but I believe I have shown that your characterization of Alabama is a false one and one that demands an apology.

Respectfully,

Old 04-03-2010, 08:42 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Good job, carpe777! Very good, respectful letter backed up with factual refutation of the stereotype. Nice.

Now we'll just need to copy and paste this on every Alabama/southern bash thread in areas of CD...

Old 04-03-2010, 01:58 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Thank you carpe:>)
Let's keep this to ourselves otherwise we will have to face the next wave of migration. I do not remember the exact figure of population increase in Shelby County 2007-2009. In the double digits.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:27 PM

253 posts, read 795,156 times
Well, I never post in this section, I just happened to see this thread while I was scrolling the forum. Lol.

I watched the vid and read the PMs comments. Personally, I don't think it's that big a deal. RW was just joking, and aren't people in politics uptight anyway? Maybe if I was from Australia or Alabama I'd view it differently. Anyway, rednecks can be pretty cool, Alabama is a nice state, and the Aussies have friggen awesome accents.

Seriously, people just need to lighten up.

Last edited by Regs4rl; 04-03-2010 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama