Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 08:26 AM

116 posts, read 622,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastMove View Post
Yes, property taxes are almost non-existent in AL but don't you think that the result of this benefit is the generally poor educational system in AL?
The correlation between money thrown into a school system and the net result of the education benefit to the students is not as strict as many are inclined to think. There are so many factors at play...however, I'll agree that the education system in Alabama just is not up to par for what I wanted for my family. For many, that's ok.For me, I don't want my kids going to a school that expands into trailers to handle the load, though. I don't want my kids coming out of highschool with Bs or even As and still being hopelessly incapable of formulating a sentence properly.

It's great fun paying $800/year on a $220k house, but not if I'm "forced" to send them to a private school anyway. The good school systems in Birmingham, at least (like vestavia hills and mountainbrook) all carry with them substantially higher-than-average property taxes.

On the one hand I appreciate the sense of people in this state to want to resist increases in taxes. The more government, the less efficiency--that is almost a staple of humanity, but the "By God, they ain't gonna be takin' ma hard earned money, no sir! My boy can reads and writes just fine, thanks you!" is taken too far, which is why Alabama is consistently ranked among the lowest states in the nation for education. This is not just the ability to get into university. Education's importance permeates every aspect of one's life, from the life expectancy in this state (48th...fully 3-4 years behind the longer-lived states) to its obesity rates (in the top three along with MS and I can't remember which other one).

By all accounts, this is a dumb state. That is not to say there are not geniuses here, and of course one can choose the company they keep, the the lower tax rates do have their effects.

"It helps to have parents that can read and value education." Yep, in fact, that's more important than anything. Those who value education may have children who excel, even in a bad school system. The thing is, they'll send them to a good school system anyway. Having like-minded children around each other has a self-supporting role. This is why two school systems may receive similar funding per pupil and yet one sees a 98% graduation rate and another a 60% graduation rate. One is defined by one's peers and goes with the pack, whether it's good or bad (with some exceptions).

"Alabama has gotten so right-wing nutjob redneck the past few years it's disgusting. Moderation is unheard of here." It's part and parcel of how people look at sports here. They will pick a side (in politics it's republican) and stick to it whether it's winning or not, the same way one defines oneself as Auburn or AU. I agree there is little moderation here. I know of ONE of my friends who will openly admit he has no problem with gays. Everyone else still talks of them how I used to when I was a 16 year old, seriously.

"Many say it's a perfect size now: not too big or too small, but it won't stay that way for long.. " This is right and it is probably a victim of its size. I was there from 2001-2002 and remember that traffic did not exist. I bet it's a bit worse now. Bham's sure as heck is. This place is growing like a weed and is an Atlanta-junior. I'm glad I'm getting out in a week and a half, if only for the traffic and the claustrophobia the city is starting to make me feel. New houses, cars, more cars, new subdivisions, and yet more cars. It's becoming too crowded.

"Kids playing in the yard until it's too dark" What? Kids don't play outside here. It's too hot in the summer, and when it's not too hot they are assisting in ensuring AL's status among the fattest in the nation, toiling tirelessly in front of their game machines and TVs. Nobody goes outside here; it's shocking how few people actually exercise on a regular basis. I continue to be dumbfounded at the rampant, shameless obesity of so many people here. They just do not even care about it.

"Utility costs are outrageous. Economy sucks." That isn't true. Its economy is quite good and so are utility costs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
KMK

80 posts, read 338,647 times
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, well ok one small thing not unique to Alabama though. Southern football is fun no matter who you support. But as for living in Alabama I have been here 20 years and I cannot think of one thing good about it!! In fact I am about to move on, staying south just moving where there might be things to do, friendly folks, mild temps, the Carolinas.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 PM

51 posts, read 293,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl_for_now View Post
uh uh, I didn't say or mean to imply I was living near pverty level. I mean the majority of the people living here live from paycheck to paycheck. Employers think they are doing you a favor by paying you minumum wage. I was speaking in general terms based on what I see others going through. There is some reason Alabama ranks in the top 5 states that (1) people live at or below poverty level (2) education ranks worse than 45 other states (3) crime rate is, based on National Average at 8.5
It was in the Mobile section, but, nevertheless, I think you rely on statistics too much. Crime stats are based on occurance per 100,000 people, but if you have one violent crime in a town of 2,000 then it looks like 50 per 100,000. Not a very accurate way to judge an area's criminal activity. Poverty levels are also suspect since the numbers are very ambiguous. Education ratings are also not to be taken at face value, because they are usually skewed toward those systems that spend the most money, not necessarily the best results.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:30 PM

24 posts, read 195,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
It was in the Mobile section, but, nevertheless, I think you rely on statistics too much. Crime stats are based on occurance per 100,000 people, but if you have one violent crime in a town of 2,000 then it looks like 50 per 100,000. Not a very accurate way to judge an area's criminal activity. Poverty levels are also suspect since the numbers are very ambiguous. Education ratings are also not to be taken at face value, because they are usually skewed toward those systems that spend the most money, not necessarily the best results.

Just keep those rose colored glasses on dahling. Meanwhile I'll have moved on to a versatile,open minded area of the country that embraces all cultures and welcomes changes which move forward-not backwards.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl_for_now View Post
Just keep those rose colored glasses on dahling. Meanwhile I'll have moved on to a versatile,open minded area of the country that embraces all cultures and welcomes changes which move forward-not backwards.
Godspeed to you, I hope you find the shangri-la that you seek. Perhaps a blue state would be more to your liking. I commend you for choosing to move away from a place you dislike instead of trying to change it and making the rest of us miserable. Have a good one, and bless your heart.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:56 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
Godspeed to you, I hope you find the shangri-la that you seek. Perhaps a blue state would be more to your liking. I commend you for choosing to move away from a place you dislike instead of trying to change it and making the rest of us miserable. Have a good one, and bless your heart.
I actually live across the line, in Florida, but I found this thread interesting. We have a friend who lives up around Huntsville. I know he has a pretty good job, (he's always trying to get us to move up by him), and he really likes the fishing. What tickled me about your post, though, was your last words, "bless your heart". It's something I say all the time, and it reminded me of Henry Cho, (I think that's his name), the comedian. He's of Korean descent, but apparently was raised in Alabama. He is extremely funny! They play his stuff on the Comedy Channel and on CMT. When you said that, I just remember him saying that we, (southerners), say this all the time; kind of takes the sting out of anything we're saying. Like "look at that ugly baby; bless its' heart", (his joke, not mine, but still true).

Old 09-28-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I actually live across the line, in Florida, but I found this thread interesting. We have a friend who lives up around Huntsville. I know he has a pretty good job, (he's always trying to get us to move up by him), and he really likes the fishing. What tickled me about your post, though, was your last words, "bless your heart". It's something I say all the time, and it reminded me of Henry Cho, (I think that's his name), the comedian. He's of Korean descent, but apparently was raised in Alabama. He is extremely funny! They play his stuff on the Comedy Channel and on CMT. When you said that, I just remember him saying that we, (southerners), say this all the time; kind of takes the sting out of anything we're saying. Like "look at that ugly baby; bless its' heart", (his joke, not mine, but still true).
I'm a fan of Henry Cho, as well, CelticLady, but you already guessed that, lol. Actually Henry was born and raised in Knoxville, TN, but his wife is from Arab, AL. Growing up in NE Alabama, I heard a lot of that saying, so I knew exactly what he was talking about when I heard it. It seemed appropriate in this thread, too.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:44 AM

50 posts, read 245,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
hahaha! That gave me a genuine belly laugh. How true that statement is.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:20 PM

85 posts, read 524,593 times
So ID Vague,what Trailer park do you live in?Bless your heart.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan st clair View Post
So ID Vague,what Trailer park do you live in?Bless your heart.
Come on Duncan, you know we can't all afford a nice park. My single wide is in my Uncle Earl's back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama