Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 05:34 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmomma View Post
I live in Alabama and the biggest thing I hate about this state is the pre-occupation with looks and dress. You are judged immediately upon entering a room based on what you chose to wear. If it doesn't fit the "mold" you are immediately discounted. I don't know if it's because they're overcompensating for the rest of the country's stereotypes about Alabama, but it is beyond annoying.
Giggle! General human behavior being limited to a geographic area? Try some other states or - even worse - Europe.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
I live in Alabama and the biggest thing I hate about this state is the pre-occupation with looks and dress. You are judged immediately upon entering a room based on what you chose to wear. If it doesn't fit the "mold" you are immediately discounted. I don't know if it's because they're overcompensating for the rest of the country's stereotypes about Alabama, but it is beyond annoying.
Sounds to me like you need to expand the circles in which you come into contact...

This behavior is not only an Alabama thing, in fact, in general it's less here than in other areas. Try L.A. area or Orange County if you think that preoccupation is severe here...

Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 PM

28 posts, read 46,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Sounds to me like you need to expand the circles in which you come into contact...

This behavior is not only an Alabama thing, in fact, in general it's less here than in other areas. Try L.A. area or Orange County if you think that preoccupation is severe here...
I agree that this is an aspect of human behavior that happens everywhere, but it's especially egregious in Alabama. I've lived many other places, and the South is truly unique in this regard.

I only posted this in response to the OP who said, "Now, mind you, my wife and I were better dressed, better educated, and better mannered than virtually anyone there."

Which is reflective of the general attitude in Alabama. It seems like most people think your worth as a human is defined by how well dressed you are. And, by being better dressed, it somehow implies they have more education and better manners.

Also note the poster whose fancy evening was ruined because someone showed up in jeans! And have you ever gone to a football game at Alabama? The girls wear dresses and heels, and it's more about being a fashion show than supporting the team! I remember the first time I showed up in a jersey and jeans - and boy did I get some stare-downs. How dare I show up to an event such as a football game with team colors on! haha.

I just don't get the obsession with looks down here, and I've never seen anything like it(on such a grand scale) anywhere else. Now, of course you have the more rural areas that don't really care, but I'm talking about the people who live in the more urban areas, and are supposedly "progressive."

Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Only (well, mostly) the sorority girls wear dresses and heels to football games. I did the same when I was in school there. Back about 1980, I was quite amused to go to a Penn State game at College Station and find the students much more casually dressed than we would dare. It's all about the local culture...every culture is different.

But as an alumna, and I wear comfortable, weather-appropriate clothes to football games. No need to impress my friends. But if I was invited to sit in a box...back to the dress and heels.

I do see female students at Alabama football games wearing T shirts and shorts or jeans. Usually they're in a group of girls, or a group of girl-and-guy friends. If you had a date, you would probably dress up a bit more unless you discussed it first with your date.

I really don't think Southerners are more obsessed with appearances than any other region. And some regions are...worse? No, I'd say more concious of it. If you're getting flak about your appearance, you might want to pay a little more attention to the local culture.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
I agree that this is an aspect of human behavior that happens everywhere, but it's especially egregious in Alabama. I've lived many other places, and the South is truly unique in this regard.

I only posted this in response to the OP who said, "Now, mind you, my wife and I were better dressed, better educated, and better mannered than virtually anyone there."

Which is reflective of the general attitude in Alabama. It seems like most people think your worth as a human is defined by how well dressed you are. And, by being better dressed, it somehow implies they have more education and better manners.

Also note the poster whose fancy evening was ruined because someone showed up in jeans! And have you ever gone to a football game at Alabama? The girls wear dresses and heels, and it's more about being a fashion show than supporting the team! I remember the first time I showed up in a jersey and jeans - and boy did I get some stare-downs. How dare I show up to an event such as a football game with team colors on! haha.

I just don't get the obsession with looks down here, and I've never seen anything like it(on such a grand scale) anywhere else. Now, of course you have the more rural areas that don't really care, but I'm talking about the people who live in the more urban areas, and are supposedly "progressive."
Well, there's a huge difference between not being dressed up and just going out into the world looking like a slob. I, too, have lived around the country--including some fairly stylish population centers--and there's no major difference in how people from Alabama judge others according to attire and the rest of the country. I mean, go to LA and New York and watch how quickly you get sized up. Maybe it wasn't what you were wearing to the football game that day. Maybe it was just the massive chip on your shoulder they were staring at.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:57 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:

great post!

Your second paragraph was a prime example of what you are alluding to.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:59 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
The sad thing about it is that you hear more racist stupidity from other places such as......Virginia and South Carolina than from Alabama

Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Maybe it was just the massive chip on your shoulder they were staring at.
Oh, SNAP~!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:03 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I do not own a pair of jeans:>( During my riding days it was Goretex matching the turquoise paint job of my bike. Why not dress up when someone goes through the bother to cook for me or take me out?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
"If it doesn't fit the "mold" you are immediately discounted"

That's true - if men aren't wearing Liberty overalls or Carhartt work clothes or Realtree camo then they won't fit in. When I see someone wearing overalls, my first thought is wealthy land owner...

"by being better dressed, it somehow implies they have more education and better manners"

That's generally true. At least they know how to dress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama