Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times

Advertisements

We have a troll on the forum. He has created many names so if you see a new poster bashing 'Bama' please just report him and do not respond. Actually he is not a kid and I have alerted all the mods so if you report it they will handle it.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,836,922 times
There are rednecks everywhere, believe me!!!! Plenty in Wisconsin, particularly the northern section. All those jokes could translate in some form to the great upper midwest. In some weird ways, that area was more southern than the South. I met people up there who ate roadkill, had funny accents, had not had indoor plumbing until the last 10 years, LOVED country music, camped, hunted, fished even in subzero weather and even though they really had no knowledge of anything southern, liked to make put down jokes of the area. YET, when it came time for Civil War reenactments(yes, they have them up there), everyone wanted to be a confederate soldier.And they are football fanatics up there too - UW and Packers - more so than any diehard UA down here, believe it or not! People are peole everywhere, some good and some bad. Frankly, I am glad that every area is unique. I don't want us to all be the same. Viva la difference!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 PM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
There are rednecks everywhere, believe me!!!! Plenty in Wisconsin, particularly the northern section. All those jokes could translate in some form to the great upper midwest. In some weird ways, that area was more southern than the South. I met people up there who ate roadkill, had funny accents, had not had indoor plumbing until the last 10 years, LOVED country music, camped, hunted, fished even in subzero weather and even though they really had no knowledge of anything southern, liked to make put down jokes of the area. YET, when it came time for Civil War reenactments(yes, they have them up there), everyone wanted to be a confederate soldier.And they are football fanatics up there too - UW and Packers - more so than any diehard UA down here, believe it or not! People are peole everywhere, some good and some bad. Frankly, I am glad that every area is unique. I don't want us to all be the same. Viva la difference!!!
I have no problem with differences.
But none of the "You may be a redneck lists" mention Wisconsin. Almost all imply a Southern state or the South. Post 74 for instance.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:43 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,085 times
i think alabama has one of the worst stigmas. its strange, because a state like south carolina which is arguably just as country does not have the same reputation.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 AM

976 posts, read 2,682,097 times
Who cares.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:53 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
I have found this topic to be interesting.

I think the worst stereotypes are those that assume we are of lesser intellgence because we come from Alabama. Those are the kind of things that bug me, but a lot of the things regarding race and what not, are very valid. It's just that the people of the state are in denial about it.

I agree with a lot of newsboy's comments. We're not trying to fix our state and it's just getting worse. I'm saying our like I still live there . . . I realize that gerrymandering isn't just something found in Alabama, but, there it's like so blatantly obvious. Spencer Bachus's district is the prime example.

But, more than anything, have any of you ever listened to the comments from some of the states representatives in Congress? If Jeff Sessions isn't one of the most close-minded bigots, then I don't know who is.

Do you really want Tim James to be your governor? I hope not. And, even though I'm a flaming liberal, I will also say that I'm not particularly a huge fan of Artur Davis either. It looks like it's going to be Byrne against Davis, and I wouldn't vote for either of them.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:21 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
If Jeff Sessions isn't one of the most close-minded bigots, then I don't know who is.
I happen to like Sen. Sessions and I really don't care what people in other states think. I don't vote for politicians to please people in other states.

You probably think that Gov Brewer in Arizona is a "close minded bigot" too.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Fwiw, I can't relate to conservatives or liberals, and politically speaking, both sets of people really bother me. There are only two groups I like, as I guess they are the only two I can identify with: moderates and libertarians.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:39 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
I have found this topic to be interesting.

I think the worst stereotypes are those that assume we are of lesser intellgence because we come from Alabama. Those are the kind of things that bug me, but a lot of the things regarding race and what not, are very valid. It's just that the people of the state are in denial about it.

I agree with a lot of newsboy's comments. We're not trying to fix our state and it's just getting worse. I'm saying our like I still live there . . . I realize that gerrymandering isn't just something found in Alabama, but, there it's like so blatantly obvious. Spencer Bachus's district is the prime example.

But, more than anything, have any of you ever listened to the comments from some of the states representatives in Congress? If Jeff Sessions isn't one of the most close-minded bigots, then I don't know who is.

Do you really want Tim James to be your governor? I hope not. And, even though I'm a flaming liberal, I will also say that I'm not particularly a huge fan of Artur Davis either. It looks like it's going to be Byrne against Davis, and I wouldn't vote for either of them.

after stating--If Jeff Sessions isn't one of the most close-minded bigots,then I don't know who is--, ( you added )even though I'm a flaming liberal

No need to add that.
We already figured it out

Old 05-19-2010, 08:24 AM

178 posts, read 334,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiefrombama View Post
While in Detroit I was asked if we had malls in Alabama. Sheesh
Well? Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama