Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times

Advertisements

Without firsthand knowledge of the state of Alabama, I don't see how you can make judgements about it at all. Maybe your friend lives in a section or a town that is very religious, but that doesn not mean that all sections or towns are. Is Boise indicative of all areas of Idaho? Of course not. Well, neither is one town or section of Alabama indicative of all areas of Alabama.

As far as wealthy people of other races in Alabama, once again you are making a judgment based on what one person has said about one area in the state. Check out the leaders in Mobile, Alabama some time. The mayor and many other prominent leaders are African American. How does that sit with our stereotypes? There are weatlthy people of all races in Alabama. Your friend might have chosen a school or community that is predominately white. Visit many Northern states and go to an exclusive private school and see how many blacks or hispanics you find.

I know that you have a right to have an opinion, but it would be nice if your opinion had facts that you know firsthand to back it up.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:22 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
And I wasn't basing anything off TV shows. I've never even seen the show you mentioned. I was basing it off what people have told me about their experiences in the deep south. I am the first to admit I have never been anywhere in that area except Atlanta, Georgia and vacation country, Florida, which despite their geographical location, I don't consider part of the deep south. It may be second hand information, but it is consistant, and it is WHY I view the deep south the way I do, which is what the OP asked. It is my opinion, and I feel that to call anyone's opinion "nonsense", is at best, very rude.
Oh, so making blanket observations about a place you've never visited and people you've never met is acceptable? You have a curious double standard.

"Nonsense" is not rude. It's accurate.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:37 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Wow, ok, note to self, do not comment in the Alabama forum.

All I was doing was answering the OP's question, which, if you look above, you will see was "Why Does Everyone Give Alabama and Similar States So Much Crap?" My answer was because they have a reputation for the things I mentioned, based on things that people hear from various sources (ie. not firsthand). Whether or not those things are true is not the point. Maybe I didn't state that clearly.

That opinion is obviously not welcome here. I'll be on my way.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:45 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
How much time have you spent in Alabama? I live in Alabama and have never been asked where I went to church, when first meeting a person. Most people don't care if you are religious or not. Usually when someone does ask you that question, they are just trying to get to know you. They don't really care where you go, or even if you go.

Also, explain the class seperation you are talking about.
The Birmingham suburbs are the most notorious example.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:45 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,456 times
I've lived my entire life in Alabama and I agree that it's much different than it was in the 60's. The only problem is that it's not different enough. The best evidence for this is some of the campaign ads that are running this year. Tim James knows that he can't safely bash blacks and get away with it but there's always immigrants, it seems to be OK to bash them.
YouTube - Language I don't see how appealing to fear and hated of immigrants is any different than when Wallace was appealing to fear and hatred of blacks back in the 60's. If this works, if James is elected governor I think Alabama will have taken a big step backwards and will deserve all the ridicule that will be given her.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
I've lived my entire life in Alabama and I agree that it's much different than it was in the 60's. The only problem is that it's not different enough. The best evidence for this is some of the campaign ads that are running this year. Tim James knows that he can't safely bash blacks and get away with it but there's always immigrants, it seems to be OK to bash them.
YouTube - Language I don't see how appealing to fear and hated of immigrants is any different than when Wallace was appealing to fear and hatred of blacks back in the 60's. If this works, if James is elected governor I think Alabama will have taken a big step backwards and will deserve all the ridicule that will be given her.
Given that he's third in the polls, I don't think there's much chance of that.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Wow, ok, note to self, do not comment in the Alabama forum.

All I was doing was answering the OP's question, which, if you look above, you will see was "Why Does Everyone Give Alabama and Similar States So Much Crap?" My answer was because they have a reputation for the things I mentioned, based on things that people hear from various sources (ie. not firsthand). Whether or not those things are true is not the point. Maybe I didn't state that clearly.

That opinion is obviously not welcome here. I'll be on my way.
You misunderstand. We were looking for informed comments.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:49 PM

247 posts, read 1,115,456 times
I haven't seen that poll. Do you have a link?

Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipLib View Post
I haven't seen that poll. Do you have a link?
Tim James and Roy Moore: Two Peas in an Increasingly Cramped Pod | United Against Tim James

Of course, Roy Moore's running second. If either he or Tim James win, I'm voting Democratic.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM

95 posts, read 296,288 times
Yes, Alabama deserves the bad rep it has. Note that "RAYINHAWAII" used to live in Montgomery, Jeff Davis H.S., class of 81, lived on Vaughn Road..... So I know what I'm talking about. That why I live in Hawaii now!!! Just read the letter's to the editor in any Alabama newspaper online and see how fast just about any news story devolves into a race rant......Go ahead, any city paper, pick one..... You'll see real fast things haven't changed at all.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama