Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:01 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times

Advertisements

My wife and I drove that same route last year, except we went from Mobile, AL to Phoenix, AZ and back. You will see some beautiful scenery down I-10, especially in SouthWestern Texas an hour or two east of El Paso (it's called "Big Bend" territory). In Alabama, I-10 will take you straight through Mobile, AL on your way to Florida. I would suggest a side trip to Gulf Shores or Fairhope, and then check out Dauphin Street in Mobile. Welcome to the states. You will not get hassled at all for being an interacial couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:41 PM

976 posts, read 2,683,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No. Everybody drives through Montgomery. Stopping at the Shell station to fill up before heading for the beaches doesn't count. And I say that as somebody who worked three days a week in Montgomery for several years.
Ok man.You have ever heard of the civil rights movement or the civil war.
The first white house of the confederate and the list goes on.If you hate Montgomery, well you hate Alabama.Seems to me that you like to talk about things to make people think Alabama is not Alabama.Yes Alabama has rockets and beaches but it wouldn't be Alabama without Montgomery.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
No. Everybody drives through Montgomery. Stopping at the Shell station to fill up before heading for the beaches doesn't count. And I say that as somebody who worked three days a week in Montgomery for several years.
Oh yeah just watched the news and Hollyfied, Smokey Robinson and Robert Horry are in town for celebrity golf tournment.But noboby comes here right?

Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Oh yeah just watched the news and Hollyfied, Smokey Robinson and Robert Horry are in town for celebrity golf tournment.But noboby comes here right?
Okay, the random celebrity spinner brought three has-beens to Montgomery for a celeb golf tourney. That does not make you the tourist mecca of Alabama. Look, I'm really not crapping on Gumptown. I'm just saying that, based on your original post, people just aren't coming there that much. The first white house of the Confederacy is about a fifteen minute tour spent gawking at antebellum clothing. Birmingham's got a better civil rights museum, Huntsville has a better space museum, Mobile just is a cooler town. Montgomery, compared to those cities, is just a wide spot in the road. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that the State government were there, Montgomery would be about as big as Fort Deposit.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Okay, the random celebrity spinner brought three has-beens to Montgomery for a celeb golf tourney. That does not make you the tourist mecca of Alabama. Look, I'm really not crapping on Gumptown. I'm just saying that, based on your original post, people just aren't coming there that much. The first white house of the Confederacy is about a fifteen minute tour spent gawking at antebellum clothing. Birmingham's got a better civil rights museum, Huntsville has a better space museum, Mobile just is a cooler town. Montgomery, compared to those cities, is just a wide spot in the road. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that the State government were there, Montgomery would be about as big as Fort Deposit.
Like I said thats your opinion dude.I never said it's the mecca of anywhere. All im saying is ease up.Whats your beef with my city?Are you orginally from Alabama?Montgomery is a unique town, as well as Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville.But I'm from here and I can tell if somebody else is from here or 334.Im proud of it and dont care what nobody says.This is the gump, my friend.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Like I said thats your opinion dude.I never said it's the mecca of anywhere. All im saying is ease up.Whats your beef with my city?Are you orginally from Alabama?Montgomery is a unique town, as well as Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville.But I'm from here and I can tell if somebody else is from here or 334.Im proud of it and dont care what nobody says.This is the gump, my friend.
Well, I'm just trying to give the Kiwis good guidance, and your original post was so over the top that I felt it needed addressing. Again, Montgomery's not a bad town, but it just isn't a be-all, end-all destination. Three hours in Montgomery and you've pretty much done it all.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:08 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
Quote:
If you are visiting alabama you have to go Montgomery, to really see what this state is about.Alot of the other stuff you can see anywhere else but you can't miss Montgomery.
On that same note, while in Texas, make sure to check out Amarillo. The rest of Texas is just like anywhere else, but you can't miss Amarillo.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM

116 posts, read 524,767 times
Quote:
Three hours in Montgomery and you've pretty much done it all.
You can barely see a play at the Shakespeare Festival in 3 hours. Or is that too much "culture".

Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MullinsCurve View Post
You can barely see a play at the Shakespeare Festival in 3 hours. Or is that too much "culture".
"Hey, we've got culture we haven't even used yet!" -- The Montgomery Chamber of Commerce.

I will say that the Shakespeare Festival is pretty great. I see at least one performance there a year. But I'm guessing that a couple of backpacking Kiwis may not be wanting to see Twelfth Night. They can do that at home.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
OK.. folks calm down..

We all love our hometowns, big or small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama