Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM

291 posts, read 800,618 times

Advertisements

I like Sal's in Soldotna. Oh, and the cinnamon rolls at the Moose is Loose in Soldotna are to die for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 12:35 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
I plan on taking more than a few road trips out of Anchorage between now and the end of October. Anybody have any suggestions concerning awesome places to eat out there? I recently ate at the Summit lake Lodge down in the Kenai. I had a great meal there.

When in Seward: "Christo's" (south end of main street)

ALL of their food is great...it's our favorite place to eat in town.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
Sourdough Sam's Cafe for the sourdough pancakes and reindeer sausage breakfast in Fairbanks

Old 07-16-2010, 03:14 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Places I have stopped by and eaten in the past:

a. The "Monderosa" near Nenana used to serve a pretty nice hamburger (a huge and juicy thing). But my wife prefers a healthier meal, the halibut dinner.

b. A few years ago I stopped a couple of times at the Chatanika Lodge (right by the Steese), in the morning. They served a mean omelet that was quite delicious.

c. There is supposed to be a lodge by the road in the middle of Tok.

d. Over in the town of Chitina, a few years ago, the name of the place was "Roadkill Cafe" (that has changed). But the tastiest "diet pill" I ever had was a cinnamon roll on the menu called "sticky bun." Whenever I went to Chitina by myself, my kids asked to bring back at least one of these things for them to share. It was simply delicious, and one could gain five pounds just by eating one

But keep in mind that the only thing I have had in recent times is the halibut at the Monderosa. I have no idea if the other meals are still served at the other places mentioned. Cooks come and go, and the recipes change. A good example of this is the following:

Over in Fairbanks there is a place called "The Cookie Jar." Several years ago their "halibut Dinner" was a lot tastier than it's today. The halibut pieces were more spicy (not salty), perhaps because the cook knew which spices to use to enhance the flavor. This cook used to sprinkle some herb on the halibut that made it quite delicious. But in recent years the same meal does not have such spice sprinkled over the top, which in turn diminish the taste experience. I imagine that whoever used the spices does not longer work in there. The meal is good enough these days, but not really special as it should be. In fact, it's better at the Monderosa because at least they serve a few more pieces than at the Cookie Jar and the price is about the same.

When I go to the Monderosa and ask for the halibut dinner, I pay ahead of time and am very generous in relation to tipping the Native girl who does the cooking, and then go outside to enjoy the cool breeze. When I come back the meal is served (or ready for me to take out). I think the young lady is a very nice person, and that's why I leave a good tip.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-16-2010 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska