Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:13 PM

11 posts, read 74,726 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Prince of Wales? Is this a nice place to live and raise a family? I'd be relocating from the east coast, so I'm not sure of the life-style changes this would mean. Anything you can tell me about the culture, community, cost-of-living, etc. would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 03:37 PM

366 posts, read 386,556 times
What is the main reason for you considering it? That would have a lot to do with how it might work out for you. Depends on what you want from it.

The culture is redneck...animal beer and chomping tobacco rule. Cost of living..well, it's a depressed area economically...housing can be tough to find. As far as raising a family...you may want more from the area than it can offer. The quality of the schools is a major concern.

It does have it's good points if you are interested in an outdoor lifestyle but all in all...unless you have a really good reason, like a good job offer, you might want to look around a bit first.

There is a round trip ferry to and from Ketchikan every day these days.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 PM

I'd be relocating for a job. It's a 3-5 year commitment so I have to rather sure I'm going to be able to do it. I have another possible offer from the Ft. Yukon area...no timeline attached, but at least 2-4 year minimum to try and make it work. I'm trying to figure out which may be a better fit. Some of the homes I see for sale in Craig seem a bit pricey for the economy. None of the places I will likely be recruited from are going to be great social hubs, and I'm okay with this. We are going for many reasons- job/school loan repayment, learn a different lifestyle, outdoors, opportunity to see Alaska and all it has to offer, and basically to just live (less fuss, no fast food, etc). I have two young children and another on the way, so with work and taking care of the children, all I'm really wanting is to be able to look out my door and see a beautiful place to live and once and a while have a good conversation with another adult.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:50 PM

Decent housing could turn out to be a problem for you. Honestly, these days, Craig looks like a slum. It doesn't have any "outskirts" type of area either...is your potential employer willing to help you find a place? You might want to consider the Hollis area---much nicer over there and if you're working in Craig, the commute is only about 23 miles and the roads are paved these days. The winter road conditions are normally not so bad that they would be much of an issue; you've probably seen worse on the east coast.

Real estate is expensive there; it's becoming very much a have or have not culture, with the have nots leading by far...though if you've got a good job you should be able to make it work out.

Good conversations...well, I always felt at a bit of a loss for that around Craig but again, I'd suggest the Hollis area. It sounds to me like its more what you're looking for.

Can't help with the comparison to FY because I haven't been there--the major difference is probably one of climate. Prince of Wales has a maritime climate and no real cold. They thought they were cold last winter, but they don't know what cold is.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:53 PM

Oh, and I need to add that for people coming from the lower 48, Prince of Wales can be an easier transition than farther north and more remote areas.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:30 AM

One of the reason's I'm considering Prince of Wales is because of the transition issues, funny you should say that. My position would be in Klawock. I was also told to explore Hydaburg. It's interesting that Craig is a bit of slum area... the houses they show are extremely expensive (in my world) and the other web sites show all these resorts and outfitters. I had a feeling it was a world of haves and haves-nots. The town I live in now is very much like that and we were hoping to have less of that. My position would not warrant me landing in the "haves" sections.... I'd likely be stuck in the middle. I'm just now starting to converse with the prospective employer, so the housing-assistance question will surely be asked.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:00 AM

There are some very nice homes in Craig but...there are some very trashy looking sections with nothing but rusty trailer after rusty trailer--though to be fair to the people living in them, they don't have a lot of choice about that. Are you looking through a realty company? You might want to check out the local paper too for ideas. It's called the Island News and it's published in Thorne Bay. Let me see if it has an online edition.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:04 AM

If is has one I don't see it but here's the contact info for the paper; if you're interested you can get a copy that way:

P. O. Box 19430, Thorne Bay, Alaska 99919

islandnews@starband.net

Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the info.! I had a telephone contact today with the possible employer who gave a realistic outlook that supports everything I have thought and what you have shared. Housing she said is just rather non-existent. Not sure how people can move to your area when there is no place to live. Also mentioned lots of personal/political agendas, so getting things done is tricky. On an up note, she said the people were very nice and helpful. I now have to make a decision regarding if I want a formal interview or not. It's just not sounding like a cost-effective move. She did say it was beautiful, but really I live in a rather beautiful area now. Can anyone think of a positive regarding moving to Prince of Wales/ Klawock area? At least when I consider the move to Ft. Yukon, I'm looking at learning a lot of new things and basically a new way of living.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:38 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy View Post

The culture is redneck...animal beer and chomping tobacco rule.

OK, I have to ask, what's animal beer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska