U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 20,021 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm interested in visiting Alaska for the week-long vacation I'm taking next week (this is extremely short notice vacation, and thus everything is kinda being planning today and tomorrow :-)). I'm planning to fly up to Anchorage firstly, as that's the airport with the best connections I have to/from NYC, and I'd like to pop up to Barrow for 1-3 days in the middle of the week (I've always wanted to visit Barrow, and as I'm unsure the next time I'll be able to slip out to Alaska is, I believe this is a good time to take this trip).

I'd love some advice of some things to do in Anchorage, as well as advice on things to see in Barrow beside the Point (and the best way to get to the point), I'd like to take an expedition on the Alaskan Railroad if possible (or just one of the routes in-between cities which should be absolutely amazing as well).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 AM

2,692 posts, read 4,582,741 times
Are you renting a car in Anchorage? That'll have a lot to do with how much you can see...
But, even without the rental car you can still do quite a bit.
I think my biggest recommendation would be the Alaska Railroad to Seward and then do a glacier cruise: Alaska Railroad Travel Specials - Seward & Kenai Fjords Tour
If that's too much, Holland American has has a great trip to Portage Glacier: Portage Glacier Cruises-departs five times daily-May-September tours
Rust's Flying Service has some good trips: Alaska Flightseeing Tours & Alaska Day Tours from Anchorage, Alaska | Rust̢۪s Flying Service
The Downtown Market on Saturday's is fun: Home Page (http://www.anchoragemarkets.com/main.html - broken link)
Alaska Wildberry Products: Alaskan Chocolates, Berry Jellies, Souvenirs, Ulu Knives, Smoked Salmon, and Gifts

That's all stuff you can do without a car.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 PM

2,692 posts, read 4,582,741 times
Also, I think a day or so in Barrow is plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska