Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 18,149 times

Advertisements

Hi
I posted before and all of the information was helpful but I have a thought and if anyone could give me advice that would be great!

I have accepted a position in Kenai near the airport ~ I have read some post on here that have said that the commute from Sterling to Soldotna isn't terrible.
I have lived in the UP of Michigan and am very comfortable with winter driving. I was wondering if anyone would recomend this or is it just silly?
If it isn't a stupid idea is there a good way of going about finding housing in Sterling?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 PM

740 posts, read 1,975,355 times
Rance can definitely help you concerning Sterling. The commute is relatively short, maybe 15-20 minutes at the most. Sterling is 10 miles from Soldotna. I have driven the Sterling highway both in the summer and winter. The roads are generally clear, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. As far as real estate in the Sterling area, I really don't know much. From what I have seen though, it isn't too expensive. At least in comparison to Anchorage.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:49 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,890,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superior2alaska View Post
Hi
I posted before and all of the information was helpful but I have a thought and if anyone could give me advice that would be great!

I have accepted a position in Kenai near the airport ~ I have read some post on here that have said that the commute from Sterling to Soldotna isn't terrible.
I have lived in the UP of Michigan and am very comfortable with winter driving. I was wondering if anyone would recomend this or is it just silly?
If it isn't a stupid idea is there a good way of going about finding housing in Sterling?
Thanks
It's easily doable. I don't live there, but have been there numerous times. The commute is only like 20 minutes, and the roads are good (by Alaskan standards). And there aren't any steep hills as such...low, mild, rolling ones perhaps, but nothing wild. If you work in Kenai, you could choose to live there, or in Soldotna, or in Sterling...not a problem.

Bud

Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM

6 posts, read 18,149 times
Thanks
It seems like the commute would be fine ~ I am looking to rent and if the prices are less in Sterling, even better, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be lovely

Old 06-27-2007, 12:12 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,237,048 times
Check with Rance when he gets back from Sveeden.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,490,862 times
Default if you buy

If you decide to buy out there, definately familiarize yourself with the Kenai boroughs GIS program, the parcel viewer. It has a feature where you can get an overlay of which part of what property is considered a wetland and thats gonna be important. That country is covered with thousands of little lakes and ponds, lots of it is basically unbuildable due to swamps, peat, and marsh. There are usually a bunch of lots for sale, just start checking with the local realtors and when you get there keep your eyes open for FSBO properties. It ranges from remote access (snowmachine, boat, and aircraft only) to high-zoot subdivisions with underground power and natural gas at the lot line. Just make sure that there is enough dry land to build on, and that you can site both a well and septic legally since many areas have no city water or sewer.

Obey the primary rule of Alaskan land shopping....buy nothing unseen, set foot on it yourself before you sign.

Gonna be some distressed properties for sale in the Ninilchik area, fire sale prices.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 AM

740 posts, read 1,975,355 times
If you move there, you will have the Swanson river and Swan lake canoe trails as your playground. It is a very long trail that connects dozens of lakes. There is a few portages, but nothing too rough. Fun stuff and pretty decent fishing.

Links about the trails

Swanson river Swanson River Canoe Trail

Swan lake
Swan Lake Canoe Trail

Beautiful area and fairly easy trails. Lots of wildlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska