Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM

124 posts, read 341,142 times

Advertisements

I on the other hand think Wasilla is a great place. If some think it is only a drive through place, they haven't looked around very well. The new hospital is a great facility, with a small college almost within walking distance. Great people, and a fine view of mountains all around. There are lots of people into hiking, skiing, running, sports of all kinds....Maybe there just aren't enough bars.....but then that is a good thing, and the folks that like that can find it. Everything else is popping....growing but you can still find a remote spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 AM

15 posts, read 38,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susitna-flower View Post
I on the other hand think Wasilla is a great place. If some think it is only a drive through place, they haven't looked around very well. The new hospital is a great facility, with a small college almost within walking distance. Great people, and a fine view of mountains all around. There are lots of people into hiking, skiing, running, sports of all kinds....Maybe there just aren't enough bars.....but then that is a good thing, and the folks that like that can find it. Everything else is popping....growing but you can still find a remote spot.

Now I didnt say it was a bad place, just in comparison to all the places Ive lived in Alaska, "community" isnt its strong point. Sure is there a lot of outdoors type of things to do? Yes. But, its Alaska, you can do those things everywhere in Alaska, maybe except the tundra (hiking, skiing). I in particular wouldnt care if there were more or less bars, because they all suck anyway. Wasilla and Palmer are lacking in great restaurants as well. Now I would like to bring up the fact that this is MY OPINION. Right or wrong, this is how I feel. As far as great land, and beauty goes, yes its gorgeous, and I will always have a special place in my heart fo Wasilla, but its not for me.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
Susitna-flower do you have any idea what The Best Western is going to be doing with the space that used to be their restaurant?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:27 PM

124 posts, read 341,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Susitna-flower do you have any idea what The Best Western is going to be doing with the space that used to be their restaurant?
No idea, I don't actually live down there, just travel through all the time, and have a daughter who "trained" in Wasilla for several summers.....it is so close to Hatcher Pass for runners, also Lazy Mt....and the bike paths and other like minded folks who like to get out...it is a friendly place.

Have you tried the Alpine Grill? I guess Evangelo's is about all I need in a nice place to eat, and Wsilla has an ok fish store....what more can a person want?

Old 05-05-2008, 12:57 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,250,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska_mrs_placed View Post
Juneau is the capital full of pompous political types. Very unfriendly. was helpful.
Hmmmm. I don't get that vibe at all about JNU...but W-H-A-T-E-V-A-H!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Hmmmm. I don't get that vibe at all about JNU...but W-H-A-T-E-V-A-H!

Well seeing as how it is the second largest city in Alaska (although thats not saying much) a lot of people dont share my view. On the other hand there is a lot of people that DONT live there, that do share my view.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:20 PM

[quote=Glitch;2154610]I would recommend that you consider moving to Anchorage first............ It is also the largest city in Alaska with a population of around 270,000. That is not large in comparison to the lower-48, but by Alaskan standards it is huge.

The only down side to that, is the crime. Not such a good place to live for an elderly person alone. The only reason I say that, is because Anchorage is #8 on the list of most dangersous cities to live in (going by all types of crime) So consider this in your decision. And personally this saddens me because 1, I was born in Alaska, and have lived in Alaska all my life, and 2 I currently live in Anchorage, and are moving not just because of the crime, but it has something to do with it.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:53 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska_mrs_placed View Post
Well seeing as how it is the second largest city in Alaska (although thats not saying much) a lot of people dont share my view. On the other hand there is a lot of people that DONT live there, that do share my view.
Just because people don't live here doesn't mean they think we're a bunch of snot nosed bureaucrats.
The nice thing about Alaska is it's big enough that there's a perfect place for almost everyone. For some people, that perfect place isn't Juneau. For some it is. I don't think it necessarily has to be any more complicated than that.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:43 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,037,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Just because people don't live here doesn't mean they think we're a bunch of snot nosed bureaucrats.
The nice thing about Alaska is it's big enough that there's a perfect place for almost everyone. For some people, that perfect place isn't Juneau. For some it is. I don't think it necessarily has to be any more complicated than that.
Very well put...

Alaska is huge and the cultures from one end to the other are like night and day. That is a good thing.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post

I agree, nicely put. That is why its my personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska